Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coll_123

Flowers over Manhattan

coll_123
10 years ago

Manhattan is in my top five list of favorite hostas, and it gets even better when the flowers come up because they are a unique shade of pink-violet. Anyone know of others with flowers with this hue? They are especially pink as they first come up through the leaves

Comments (18)

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

I love these pics. There are a few other Hostas with pinkish flowers. Tickle Me Pink for one and Nippers is another. Kikutii is supposed to have red/pinkish flowers and there are some folks working on improving flower color using kikutii.

Steve

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

That is so gorgeous! It has beautiful flowers, too. I think "Clovelly" has pinkish flowers, but that's the only other hosta I know of. "Manhattan" is definitely on my short list. I love the texture of the leaves.

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Coll, couldn't agree more....pic from a tour garden.

Paul

• coll_123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

nice, Paul. They just glow when the first come up. I'll be honest, I don't care much for hosta flowers for the most part, but I always look forward to Manhattan's flowers. It's like icing on the cake.

Steve, thanks for those other names- off to look them up.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I may be wrong, but 'Manhattan', I think, is pretty close to being the perfect hosta. Solid greenie and all. (I'm one of those greenie lovers).

Beautiful pics, Coll...
    Don B.

• User
    10 years ago

Honest to heaven, I never saw anything more lovely! It can make it to my top 10 even without fragrance......I won't hold it against the plant. Don't cha-know it was in the very last order I placed this year? I mean really, it is classy enough I feel I could say , "See Manhattan and die." (a takeoff on the old saying, "See Paris and die." because once you'd seen it, there was no reason to continue living, you already saw the best......but I'm not a fatalist personally)

Steve, the flowers on your Beet Salad were gorgeous in color and shape. Is it blooming yet for you? Remember we need to see the update pleeeeeeease? Not like this hosta's color, but as striking.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Coll, I keep staring at your Manhattan. I love that plant. I passed on a large one this year, because of the cupping. Your's doesn't cup, though. Maybe I'll try it after all. We're building a workshop with a covered porch, so there will be a place that cupped hosta won't fill up with pecan debris.

Thanks for showing it again.

bk

• irawon
    10 years ago

Very catchy subject title, coll. I love the look of your Manhatten in bloom and wish I had room for one... wonderful. Funny that you would ask for other hostas with pinkish flowers, because I took a pic of Clovelly just the other day ... looks like a different pink though.

• coll_123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That does look pink, Irawon. Nice!

Bkay, I think you need to bite the bullet and just get Manhattan. I don't know what pecans trees are like, but my bull pine drops needles and tiny pine cone things over everything. for Christmas, my inlaws gave us a leaf blower. I had forgotten about it until yesterday, when I hauled it out and used it to blow off the pine needles so that I could get some nice pics. My husband was amazed that I would bother, but it was fast and easy and it is my new favorite toy.

• User
    10 years ago

"I love NY in bloom, how about you?"

And then today I discovered a picture in my files of Fluted Fountain and its pretty bud. Just wanted to add it here for a reference point.

I was reading on the SeedgrowersForum I think it was that Fluted Fountain is a good breeder. Is Manhattan fertile?

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Coll, those pix awesome. Thanks.

tj

• Eleven
    10 years ago

Colleen, thanks for posting your pic of Manhattan. I bought one last year just because I've seen yours before. Too bad the rabbits ate it A LOT and then the squirrels dug it up and left it to die. It thankfully came back this spring but is still just a baby. Will let it grow in the nursery awhile before trying to put it back in the garden.

{{!gwi}}

• coll_123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Aw, I hope it comes back well for you....we are very fortunate that we seem to not have bunnies here...I don't know why that is.

Hey Mocc, that Fluted fountain is really nice too. I dont know if Manhattan is fertile....I don't know anything about that stuff!

• coll_123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I had to update with pics from today because they look even prettier

with a bee visitor...

• User
    10 years ago

Awwwww, man, that is gorgeous! Thing is, it is better every day. I am so happy that I listened to my heart say GET IT, and that was the last order for this season delivery. Squeaked in under the wire.

I saw a picture in the Hosta Library of one that I'd get regardless, but not available. Deep dark petioles and the buds, a Black Mamba.....which is FRAGRANT TOO. I mean, what could be better.....

• dansgrdn
    10 years ago

Wow! Beautiful pics coll 123!

Dan

• irawon
    10 years ago

I love the corrugation of the green leaf with that pink. Wow!

Well Mocc & Coll, you've done it ... got me interested in the hosta flower. Went out today to specifically take pics of blooms but i didn't find any more pink ones in my garden.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Now I know why people sold me the h.'Manhattan' x 'Party Favor' at the society auction years ago. I liked the leaves, but my blooms are light lavender, and not that purple pink. But I like my Manhattan anyway, nice leaves! Though I think puckering will increase with age. Bernd