Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

I'm not a hosta collector like many of you folk, but I do like them and use them in various places in the garden. My favorites are the big blue ones and their companions around the patio in the backyard. This is what they look like tonight:

The neighbour next door gets a good view of them and likes them. She's an avid gardener too and asked if she could have some divisions of the big blue ones, so I gave her some last spring. I can see one through the fence - I think it's growing better for her than it did here! Mine have never been divided, although I cut chunks out of them from time to time to give to people, so probably mine might do better if they were divided - but it'd be too big of a job to do! The big blue leaves you can see through the fence is one of the divisions we gave her - not sure which one of ours it came from:

Comments (12)

• hostacats
    9 years ago

Oh my goodness they are lovely and huge!! I'm now a collector, I started off just having a few, but I still don't have any blue ones near this size!!

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

Beautiful! I love how the white flowering shrub contrasts with the big blue hostas. Such an inviting spot to sit and enjoy the evenings!

Thanks for sharing, would love to see more of your garden.

Linda

• hostanista
    9 years ago

Fantastic! Woodyoak, is that Goatsbeard in the background? What a great combo. Very lovely.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The white flowered plant is Persicaria polymorpha, a perennial usually grown in full sun, but it does reasonably well in shade too, although it produces fewer flowers.

• gallaneal
    9 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! I love hosta, and have several different kind in my yard. Problem is, the deer like the hosta too and have eaten the leaves off of 4 of the biggest ones I have.
    The color of yours are just what I'm looking for.

• anniegolden
    9 years ago

That is perfection. I stared at your first photo for a long time trying to understand why it all works so well. The shade of green on the white flowering plant is the same shade of green as the small trees, and so the backdrop to the hostas is unbroken. Then the patio, tree trunk and house in the distance are all just about the same subdued shade of grayishnes, a calming and subtle contrast that make the hostas the star of the show. And then there's a little bit of mystery since we can't see around the corner and I really would like to see what's growing over there, too.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's 1960s-era suburbia around here so, fortunately, no deer. The entire backyard is a woodland-style garden - complete with a thriving mosquito population. So we've stopped using the patio for most activities; lounging around is done on the back porch which is elevated and has fewer mosquitoes; dining is an indoor activity.

anniegolden - interesting analysis :-) It's always interesting to 'see' your garden through someone else's eyes. The effects you mention are a 'happy accident' rather than planned. The small (young) Fringetree to the left of the Persicaria just finished blooming and the 'Milky Way' Kousa dogwood on the right is just putting out its first few flowers - it's in too much shade from the big, old White Ash to flower well. Both trees were planted in hopes of providing some shade when the Ash inevitably succumbs to old age and/or Emerald Ash Borer.

The planned effect in the hosta bed is a play on blue and size. The bed starts on the far right with a small blue hosta (Halcyon), then moves to a large blue (Elegans ?), then back to small blue - but with a variegated center (June), then to large variegated blue but with the variegation inverted - i.e. on the edge (Frances Williams), the bed finishes by turning the corner, where there are two big Bressingham Blues. So, you are right that there is a pattern there, but it's a different one... However, you are right to focus on green though because the entire backyard is my 'green and white' garden as those are the dominant colors. We even painted the garden shed (the 'little house'....) to try to match the surrounding greens.

Here's a view of the patio hosta bed from the other side:

There is a big blue and white one (Northern Halo) behind the Halcyon and Elegans and another big blue one (not sure what it is,,,,) between it and the Persicaria. White corydalis fills in around the edges and Palace Purple heucheras line the side to go with the charcoal brick edging.

There are lots of hostas near the shed and the beds on the south side of the lawn - there are lots of hostas everywhere in the backyard but they are all there for specific reasons and not a hosta collection per se. I couldn't tell you what most of their names are!

What's around the corner is the north alley - which is looking a bit bare this year as the Sweet Autumn clematis that normally covers the fence in the patio area died this winter and I haven't decided yet what to replace it with.

One last picture.... This one is from late May when we were refreshing the path materials in the garden. You can see how much the garden changes when things finally get growing!
    {{gwi:229504}}

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Thank you for sharing your gardens and your beautiful hostas. You have created a very serene environment - there are no loud hostas anywhere. I can imagine sitting out there, lost in a good book! Love the colour of "the little house"....very soft and welcoming. I find this absolutely beautiful.

Jo

• User
    9 years ago

Hi there, and thank you for sharing your photos with us.
    In your suburbia, the feeling is that of a park, a continuous melding or blending of the different properties to make a congenial whole. You must have some compatible neighbors.

Lovely effect of the whole and all its parts.

• irawon
    9 years ago

Very pretty. I really like your blue and white theme against the green backdrop...very fresh and refreshing. Is that Frances Williams in the middle of your flower bed in the first picture?

BTW, woodyoak, I noticed that you registered in 2006, are in zone 5 (me too) ...where in Canada are you located?

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Beautiful...soooo blooooo...

Don B.

• hostacats
    9 years ago

I Love your yard and all the hostas.....big yards, lots of shade, lots of hostas, always good.
    Michelle