Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babka68

Hosta Size Classifications

Babka NorCal 9b
9 years ago

A recent post about minis and smalls got me thinking about the discrepancies in information given for hosta sizes. Catalogs often have different descriptions, and what is a small for one grower, is listed as a medium by another. Some of the newer ones haven't been grown long enough before they are registered (if they are registered) to determine size.

On top of that, growing conditions are a major factor.

This isn't a problem so much for pot heads, but makes it difficult for you grounders.

I did some searching at the AHS, but I cannot find their definitive rules on size classification, although I recall reading something about size determinations in a Hosta Journal. The link below is the closest thing I could find, It refers to "generally agreed" info on sizes.

Does anyone have anything more official?

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Sizes

Comments (15)

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

American Hosta Growers Association
    Hosta Clump Size Standard

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: American Hosta Growers Association Hosta Clump Size Standard

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

American Hosta Growers Association
    Hosta Clump Size Standard

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: American Hosta Growers Association Hosta Clump Size Standard

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

Thank you for the link. I've noticed the size difference many times on sites and even on the tag that comes with the hosta. Which is frustrating when you are trying to plan the placement based on a certain estimated size.

• User
    9 years ago

That is where the opportunity to see mature hosta in the ground is a definite advantage. If your nursery also has a display garden, you can visually decide what will work for you.

Of course, as a pothead myself, as Babka points out, it is no problem to move things around, very few are in the ground here.

I enjoy the small/medium size very much. And the medium/large too. I tried desperately to stay away from the big big guys, but I could not resist those either. I told myself they would not get that big in pots. Am I right? Well, so far so good. :)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the link, Paul. That site gives the clump sizes after 5 years. It is a good place to start. The problem with those sizes, is that my Blue Mouse Ears would be considered LARGE because it reached 24" across in a pot.

I noticed in the AHS Registration books that some hostas are registered after only 3 years old. So the registration numbers might not reflect what you'll actually get down the road.

I know I'm just knit picking here, (we're having a hot spell here, up into the 80's and I'm stuck in front of the fan, gazing at my hostas) but for the new people, they need to know to check as many different sources as possible in order to get a consensus of leaf/height/clump size for planning new beds in order to avoid extra digging and moving.

-Babka

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

AHGA chart lists height of hosta....with width of mature clump referenced as generally 2x to 2.5x the height.

Paul

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

but I cannot find their definitive rules on size classification,

==>>> this amused me ... lol ..

definitive... ?????

and who would make that rule ???? ....

i realize that many societies are run on near corporate levels.. perhaps even encouraged by corporate sponsors .. [i am thinking roses etc]

but having read all the journals.. since day one.. i like to think of my club ... more as a 'club' rather than a corporation ... meaning.. there is no 'definitive' ...

also.. i always presumed ... that height is the ONLY constant ... as it is genetic ... though high juicing/high fert .. can make them even bigger ...

but as far as i am concerned ... clump width.. is unlimited ... in other words... happy is happy and it will just keep getting bigger... and bigger ... it not being genetic ...

so when i planted mine.. tall in back.. short up front ... and move things that are so happy .. they outgrow a space ... or share them among friends.. etc ... and a lot of mistakes were made in the medium range.. as some got bigger than others.. and were too close the the border.. ruining sight lines to what ended up being smaller ones behind ... oh well ...

IMHO ... nothing definitive in this club ....

ken

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

This is a great thread, as I've also found the size issue somewhat muddled.

For me it's not about the width, as anything can get wide given enough time. My concern has always been height, which I found does tend to vary widely. My 4-year-old Avocado, for instance is now as tall as my 5-year-old Blue Angel, and must be moved to a more background spot.

Often (though not always), seems like what's large up north is medium for me, and medium up north is small here. I spend a considerable amount of time looking up the various size claims on a Hosta before deciding to purchase it. If I find 3 people call it "large" while 2 people call it "medium," I'll purchase or reject it based on the majority of the claims.

It helps when the actual height in inches is listed.

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

And another thing to think of is where you plant the hosta. My hostas,because of the high shade they are in,grow very tall,with fewer leaves than people with 'normal' shade areas.I still don't like minis,as they usually get smaller. My Frosted Mouse ears lasted only two years,before it didn't even show up this year. A little off topic,but even the description given in books says,the hosta will outgrow the listed dimensions,given good care. Phil

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

the only die hard... who shows up to all conventions... with camera.. note book and measuring tape ... is Zillis ...

if anyone had the info ... i would bet it is him ...

so i would look to his book ..

and by showing up all across the country .. he presumably sees them across a wide spectrum of zones and sunlight.. etc .. though he doesnt measure every plant ...

hyper-fertilization .. including the woodchuck treatment ... also can severely effect size ...

ken

• mikgag Z5b NS Canada
    9 years ago

Never take tag sizes or internet site sizes as truth. For example, Hallsons lists Rascal as 25x48. Hosta Direct has it as 18x36. 3 other sites have it at 25x55.

Mine is 38x70

All you can do is plan your best, grow it, and if absolutely necessary, move it later....

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Mikgag - right on! ... and to move the smallest hosta, not the largest when you need space due to growth. I consider dimensions quoted in books/tags as a "suggestion" ... Similar to the amber light at a traffic stop! Lol

Similarly, I have been disappointed in the height of a hosta...where it has not attained the height I thought it should have....then I end up with a hosta "buried" that has to be relocated to where it can actually be seen! Trial and error, live and learn....

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think perhaps that leaf size gives you a better clue as to where in your scheme of things a plant should go. Then, height and for those biggies...spreading or upright.

The big problem, is that mature leaf sizes aren't always given. Zillis' old Hosta Handbook had all that info. Now there are too many new intros to keep track of.

The more I think about this, the more I like that first link using leaf sizes to classify them.

Just thoughts...

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: Size calculation using leaves and height

• donrawson
    9 years ago

For AHS leaf shows, the official Classification List is used which places hostas into one of twelve different sections according to leaf size as follows:

Section Classification
    Section I - Giant-Leaved Registered Cultivars and Species
    Section II- Large-Leaved Registered Cultivars and Species
    Section III - Medium-Leaved Registered Cultivars and Species
    Section IV- Small-Leaved Registered Cultivars and Species
    Section V- Miniature-Leaved Registered Cultivars and Species
    Section VI- Giant-Leaved Unregistered Sports and Seedlings
    Section VII- Large-Leaved Unregistered Sports and Seedlings
    Section VIII- Medium-Leaved Unregistered Sports and Seedlings
    Section IX- Small-Leaved Unregistered Sports and Seedlings
    Section X- Miniature-Leaved Unregistered Sports and Seedlings
    Section XI- Youth Exhibits of Registered Cultivars and Species
    Section XII- Unregistered Named Hosta Cultivars

Leaf Section Square Inches
    1. Giant Leaved 120 or greater
    2. Large Leaved 64 to 3. Medium Leaved 30 to 4. Small Leaved 6 to 5. Miniature Leaved Source: AHS Judges Handbook, Hosta Shows II-20 and II-34

The AHS Judges Handbook is posted on the Hosta Registry website and this particular information regarding section classification is posted at http://www.americanhostasociety.org/PDF/Section%20II%20-%20Shows.pdf . Currently, there appears to be a problem with the website because the "Show Classification" link is not operable.

• User
    9 years ago

Jo says:
    ". I consider dimensions quoted in books/tags as a "suggestion" ... Similar to the amber light at a traffic stop! Lol "

Glad I wasn't drinking breakfast coffee then, Jo.
    "You are so funny!" And THAT is a quote from my parrot!

I don't have a problem with size. One of the advantages of container gardening is you can shuffle the containers around. Until you grow a humongous hosta that is in a bathtub, like some that McTavish's sister grows in containers, you can push them around easy-like up until that point.

I'm always moving them.

Like Jo says, I take anything about predicted size "as a suggestion." And I also love how yellow caution lights .suggest we stop. heheheh

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz