Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bragu

Not a Hosta, but ...

bragu_DSM 5
10 years ago

This is not an AV.

But it is one of my favorite things from the garden. It gets nice berry-like seeds which I broadcast around the garden and let them grow where they want. They bloom the second year.

It is a blackberry lily.

Thot y'all might appreciate it anyway.

^_^ --~

dave

Comments (8)

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Wow! I like it : )

Don B.

• paul_
    10 years ago

Ah, Belamcanda chinesis -- if it happens to be the actual species. Many of the seeds sold as "blackberry lilies" are actually X Pardancanda ... a hybrid of Belamcanda chinesis x Pardanthopsis dichotoma. The result of said cross provides a greater palette of possible colors/patterns such as:

{{gwi:266247}}

• bragu_DSM 5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

send me some berries.

I got this thing years ago, and it has survived at least two moves, and I give away the berries to friends. When I try to grow them in pots, they refuse. When I broadcast them, it works better. Go figure.

Of course, once you get a plant, you can transplant it elsewhere.

I really like those first two.

dave

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Dave, that's a beauty. I have one too! I took seeds from my daughter's plant 4 years ago...planted it in a pot and left it outside to live. The first and second years it grew just foliage, then, finally in year 3, it bloomed. It's a beauty. Last year I picked up a yellow one, but it dwindled and died this spring. The photos of them are beautiful, Paul. Love the last one especially.

• Cher
    10 years ago

Those are really lovely blooms. They would fit in well between Hosta.
    Cher

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

Wow those are gorgeous---don't think I have ever seen them before. Do they require lots of sun?
    Jan

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

I give it the usual lily sun exposure. It's doing well right now at the northwest side of my house where it got transplanted last year. Considering the limited sun it receives I'm surprised to see blooms at all. It has to wait there until I finish working on its permanent site...I usually shuffle things around at this time of year.

• paul_
    10 years ago

Jan, up at my folks' place, I have some that receive full unobstructed sun from around 9am to 3pm, some on the south side of a shed that get few hours less of sun, and some along a section of the west side of their house that are permanently shaded by a large maple. While all do bloom, the ones that get the most sun grow and bloom the best.

That last one is my favorite too, Josephine. Did have one that flowered a pale yellow there, but it never did as well as the others. Not sure if it is still around.

Er, Dave, are you directing your request to me or the OP? If me, then will have to wait until I get up north and can see if my dad will gather them.

For those who might be interested -- neither Belamcanda chinesis nor Pardanthopsis dichotoma are actually lilies. Rather they are both members of the Iris Family and (last I read) are now classified as members of the genus Iris.