bluerose007

Another unknown

bluerose007
9 years ago

Help ID this.

Comments (11)

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Are its flowers fragrant, BlueRose? If so, perhaps it's Summer Fragrance.

• User
    9 years ago

If that is a smaller hosta but looks like a big hosta, I submit it could be a Fair Maiden. My Fair Maiden arrived this spring dormant and I could not believe the look this little thing had. It has a lot of hosta packed into a smaller package. I love it.

Does yours have any gray green 3rd color on the leaves? I cannot quite tell.

Look it up in the Hosta Library to get more photos. Here is what mine looks like. Note flower scapes are really short.Picture taken June 18.

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Oh my goodness, Mocc, your Fair Maiden looks like a painting! Wooooow......

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Undulata Albomarginata

Paul

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Undulata Albomarginata

Paul

• User
    9 years ago

Thanks, HTakeover. I am very impressed with the way a small/medium can look as impressive as something like, say, Sagae. Such a neat space-saving package too! :)

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

I'm glad Paul said Undulata Albomarginata. I hesitate to guess on IDs, but that's what it looked like to me.

Mocc, that Fair Maiden has convinced me to move it to the top of my list. I wonder if you hit on the perfect conditions, or if they are all that beautiful. ....Will you ever post a pic of your Victory in flower this year? Here or somewhere else? You showed a photo of it that was gorgeous earlier in the year so I've been hoping to see it with flowers.

• bluerose007
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There is no fragrance. The hosta is mature and quite big. It may look small because of the angle the picture was taken from.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Chances are that Paul is right. He usually is.

I looked at photos of my u. albomarginata. I think he's right this time too.

bk

• User
    9 years ago

I did not recognize U. Albomarginata as being the same as the ones my DH bought 50 years ago. Perhaps his had formed a very special variation on the regular U.A. I've had Fair Maiden on the brain all spring, it is my favorite small/medium this spring. BIG surprise. Somehow it has white on it and still is doing well here. I have no idea why.

I'll post about the Victory in a separate thread, Sandyslopes. That way everyone interested in Victory can contribute something to it.

• hostacats
    9 years ago

Yay!! I didn't think it looked like moccasinlandings...but I didn't want to guess either but that's what I had on my brain is albo marginata. That's three hostas I was able to identify to MYSELF and then somebody puts the name out so I'm happy I can do that!!!!