Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coll_123

A then and now comparison

coll_123
10 years ago

This bed was the start of my garden in 2006. But in 2007 I made some changes which are the foundation for the way it looks now. the first pic is 2007 and the hosta on the far right is sun power which was replaced by June, then El Nino, and now this year First Frost, which I think is going to be it's permanent resident.

Two things that strike me- the changes in Remember Me, next to the birch on the left. And the increase in diameter of the birch- oops. Forgot trees grow too!

This post was edited by coll_123 on Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 21:38

Comments (17)

• dg
    10 years ago

Whoa, glad I was sitting down! Gorgeous garden!
    I love the rock wall and I'm a sucker for ferns.

I'm curious, is that Hakone grass bottom pic, upper left (just right of big birch)?

Deb

• coll_123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Deb, thank you and yes, that is Hakone grass- its the Albo Striata one, if I recall correctly. It's green with a white stripe. It's a very vigorous form of the stuff. I will see if I have any pics from when I first planted that. You can sort of see it in the top pic. I should get in there and try to reign it in, I think.

• User
    10 years ago

Coll, what a beautiful garden you created. Although you indicate it was new when that shot was taken in 2007, it had a full filled-in look to it from that moment. The structure of the garden is set, and while you may change out one hosta for another in spots, the set up is solid and able to take the changes. It is delightful to see your handiwork.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

Thank you for posting, I enjoy seeing the before and after shots and I really love seeing any pics from your gorgeous garden, Coll.

Paula

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Love the changes - and always a fan of woodsy gardens with ferns. Thanks for sharing your garden.

Paul

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Thanks, Coll. Nice garden, but your's is always pretty.

bk

• coll_123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone. Deb, I found a pic of that hakone grass from 2007- I planted three of them in 2006.

And here is a pic from today. I think I should have just planted one of them!

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Nice progress. Gardens always change. I'm really starting to understand that these last two years. Nice illustration.

Beverly

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

Wow, I love that grass. I have tried the golden one twice but no luck. I am trying it again in a different location.

• User
    10 years ago

Oh nonono. Three is a good thing.
    If a little is good, a lot is GREAT.
    It looks gorgeous!

• WILDernessWen
    10 years ago

Coll, I just love looking at pictures of your beautiful gardens. WW

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

Colleen,

When you created that bed, did you just build it up with the Birch there already?
    If so, it doesn't seem to have harmed it in any way. The reason I am asking is because I have a birch tree and I could certainly use the extra garden space for my hostas.

Paula

• coll_123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Paula, yes, I did, and I know I goes against everything that you read you are supposed to do or not do. Where I live, there is a LOT of ledge. I cannot dig a hole in my yard without hitting lots and lots of rocks. So my father in law told me do what he did and make raised beds evrywhere and just add soil. He later did tell me If I add soil around trees I should ring the trunks with rocks, and I did not do that with the birches, but have done with subsequent trees in my raised beds, In any case, It's been seven years and all my trees seem to be doing well. My FIL's gardens are probably 20 years old and his trees are fine too...no one suffocated yet. :)

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

Thanks! That is great news, once I finish the wall I am building now, I will start on something with my Birch :)

• coll_123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good luck! I should add that it would probably be better for my plants if the trees weren't there, but my husband has a fit when I talk about cutting anything down. And I like the birches. I have another raised bed beneath a red maple and I hope it kills that one. That's the only way I can take down a tree, lol.

• mbug_gw
    10 years ago

Thank you for posting,,,,,,,great looking gardens, as always.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

We have two red Maples and they aren't too bad compared the massive, nasty Maple out back. It sheds thousands of keys a year and I have to clean up my beds and hosta constantly.