Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maow_gw

help! just planted abiqua drinking gourd, virus?soil deficiency?

maow
9 years ago

HELP, what is happening to my ney planted abiqua drinking gourd? The veins are lopking strange and sickly, is this normal? Soil deficiency? Or is it the dreaded HVX virus? Eeeks... I have planref over 35 hostas this summer, have I infected them all if it is the virus?

Comments (11)

• maow
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another photo of the plant.

• User
    9 years ago

Others are far more versed in this than me, BUT that looks like normal coloring on new growth that is darkening up.

• maow
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Newly planted sky dancer, same thing with leaves, what is going on? Is this alright?

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I'm not sure, but I think it needs some fertilizer.

Do some miracle grow or something liquid that will be taken up quickly.

bk

• maow
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sky dancer-full view... Please help.

• tepelus
    9 years ago

I've had this happen before to newly planted hostas and I just leave them be. The following year they look normal again. Could be a stress issue, I don't know. Maybe nutrient deficiency.

Karen

• jimr66
    9 years ago

Not HVX, these are really young plants. Newly transplanted hostas will go like this when the light conditions change from very protected diffused light in a greenhouse to the great outdoors.

Next year (or the year after) you will start to see the proper color and form start to develop in these plants.

Keep them watered, don't go crazy with fert.

(use 1 with a little Iron or Mangenese to darken the green if you are bent on using fertilizer, 1/2 the recommended dose is better)

let the root system have a year or so to develop and you will see the results you want (Read "don't kill them with kindness")

Cheers

James.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

there is a second flush of leaves at this time of year...

if you look close ... in all your pix.. this is the second flush ...

i would call it a transitory color ... they should color up properly ...

transplant surely didnt help ... and i doubt that any problem with native soil could have impacted them that fast ...

as far as i am concerned.. it NORMAL ... unless chris comes along and says otherwise. ..

dont try to kill them with too much love ....

ken

• jennaj_z4mn
    9 years ago

They are fine--I had a couple that did that too. Someone told me to put a landscaping stake (the ones you use to hold down fabric) in the ground next to it. Seemed to have worked. Good luck!

• maow
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Whew... Thanks guys, I was on my way out armed with liquid fertilizer to douse them. I guess, let them be for now... I will try the plants stake, interesting..., will report how it goes.
    Do you guys think I should fertilize? When should I do it, I have only used a quick start or transplanter liquid on them when they were planted, nothing else. I have read somewhere to fertilize in July. 14-14-14 a good one.? Am I going over board. I am a such a helicopter mom, and these are my new babies. Lol.

• User
    9 years ago

Wait, I have to ask - why would a landscape stake help? Iron from the metal?? That's a nifty solution if that's the case.