Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary93_gw

too late to plant a hosta garden?

mary93
9 years ago

I'm interested in planting a hosta garden in nj . Should I wait until next Spring or could I still begin now? Wondering if the hostas would have enough time to root before first frost? Thanks for any advice!

Comments (13)

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

What's your expected frost date? I'm in Dallas, TX and my expected frost date is November 15 or so.

You want them well settled by the frost date. You need to determine your frost date.

bk

• mary93
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for responding ! I looked up the first frost date for Zone 7 and it said Oct. 28 so I guess I would have time if I get started soon.

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

Start digging. I planted 48 hostas between August 1 and Nov 8 last year. Got the last two in the ground 2 days before the nighttime temperature went down to 28 degrees F. They all look great this year. Where in zone 7 are you?
    Karhy

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Not too late. As long as the ground isn't frozen, they will be fine. If they get frost heaved over winter, put some mulch around them. They like to be frozen during winter. This is the time they are growing roots for next year's growth. Do it!

-Babka

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Mary,

Fall is a perfect time to plant a Hosta garden. You can get great prices on plants from on line sources. Use August to do the soil prep and then plant at the beginning of September. That should give them plenty of time to put down roots before frost in NJ. The one thing I would avoid is very small plants. Those will have a tendency to heave during the freeze and thaw of the winter. However, you can mitigate that with some winter mulch.

Make sure you're having fun.

Steve

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

if she meant from seed ... it might be too late ...

otherwise ... what they said ...

ken

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I am in zone 7 (Northern Virginia) and plant hosta in the fall every year. No worries other than that I may run out of space in a few years. :)

Cynthia

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

the other issue... the colder zone you get... is that small plants .. can heave right out of the ground ... in late winter.. and you dont find them for a month or two ... by which time they are freeze dried ...

most likely.. not an issue in OPs zone.. or with larger plants ...

ken

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    9 years ago

I am in IL, zone 5a with long and hard winter. Fall (mid sept to earlt Oct) is the perfect time for me to plant/divide/move hostas, and most of the perennials (except a few with shallow roots). They do better to get settled during the winter and come back strong next spring. Also save you a lot time as you don't need to water that much in the fall.
    Enjoy your new project.....
    Vivian

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

I'm in zone 6,and I plant,or move plants all year long. No problems,but I don't get the deep down freeze like they get way up north,so I say go for it! Phil

• gardenfanatic2003
    9 years ago

I've planted hostas so late in the season, they've already gone dormant. They did fine. Go for it.

Deanna

• mac48025 ( SE michigan)
    9 years ago

I've left hosta clumps unplanted, above the ground all winter here in michigan and they leafed out in spring just as if they were in the ground. They're nearly indestructible! Unless of course it's your newest treasure that you just paid a hundred bucks for.....it will be the first one to perish :) Seriously though, as a landscape contractor I plant hundreds of hosta's every fall and it's a great time to plant. Good luck with your new garden. Now the hard part.....choosing what hosta's to plant.

• hostarhodo
    9 years ago

I am in Nova Scotia and I moved Hosta to my new yard in Nov 2013, some actually spent the winter in a fish box (large tote pan) with not much soil on them. Just planted them a couple of weeks ago. They went through a very hard cold winter and a rainy spring, and are doing just great. Liberty was one I moved and planted right away and it is growing like crazy.