Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bungalowmonkeys

Pics of June

BungalowMonkeys
9 years ago

This seems to be a favorite on this forum. Just picked one up today. Its a tiny June. Atleast im hoping its a June. Havent had much luck with the sale item hostas being labeled correctly. Would love to see some of your photos of this popular hosta.

Comments (33)

• hostanista
    9 years ago

Mine has only been in the ground a little over a year - love it. No one ever has a bad thing to say about June. It's a wonderful hosta and a pretty nice month, too!

• mbug_gw
    9 years ago

June....one of the best! You will love it. Grows well anywhere.
    I posted these before...
    June in some shade little bit of afternoon sun

June in a lot of bright sun....Touch of class on the right.
    Big difference but both look great

Enjoy yours!

• dg
    9 years ago

The OPs 'June' leaves look kind of long and slim, but maybe that's because it's a youngster?

This is my June ... in late June ;-)

• User
    9 years ago

Bungalow's new June has the right variegation, perhaps some leaves are not typical yet, but they are juvenile. Whatever it turns out to be, it is going to be lovely. The darker edge is always my favorite variegation. Good find.

One of my favorite photos includes June, Teatime,April 2014

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

OP....Or you may have a June Fever, which has a bright yellow centre. ?
    Hard to tell with raindrops, but if leaves are shiny when dry, it could be June Fever.

I was also going to say the leaves resemble my young June Spirit just a bit. Here's a pic of JS.

This post was edited by josephines67 on Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 23:11

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

That's a thick, beefy-looking little plant. This was my June in 2012...

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

,,,and the same plant last month. June is so great; a plant you will enjoy for a long, long time.

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

When it gets the perfect amount of light.. June is arguably the best you can hope for... Smaller leaves than the big guys.. but leaves that outshine most flowers in my opinion..

• BungalowMonkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

All such beautiful pics. Love the color variation in this hosta. Had to give june and the other hosta a bath after buying them. They have white water spots all over. She deff has a matte finish. Cant wait to get her in the ground and watch her change as she matures.

The water spots are not coming off unless i actually rub them off. Is that safe to do without damaging the leaves? Or just let them be?

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Everyone loves June. All the pics above are beautiful.

I have two. First, from 2010, been in the same spot, lots of sun.

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

And I bought a second one last year. Planted in all day shade. Just to see the difference in color. I like them both.

• User
    9 years ago

Bungalow, what would happen if you scrub is the loss of the waxy coating of blue. She'd lose her blue.

Unless you scrub really hard, there would be no real damage to the leaf itself. Just the color. I'd leave it be personally. It is not a defacing sort of thing to have the water spots.

• santamiller
    9 years ago

moccâ¦..glad to see you have one. June pictures are among my favorites I see posted here. I plan to try that one next spring.

9 years ago

Those white water spots could very likely be liquid/ foliar fertilizer that nurseries use. I have found that on a few of my new purchases. I think it detracts from the pretty leaves of any hosta but the benefit of fertilizer outweighs a temporary unglamorous period. :-)

Welcome to the June admiration club...will you get the rest of her progeny as well, lol?

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

I also think there's a possibility that you have June Fever. Here's June Fever

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

and June

• User
    9 years ago

I'll put up my June in bloom, so when yours does bloom, you can see how the flowers compare. I took this today.
    June Fever finished blooming already.

• User
    9 years ago

This is June Fever in bloom late June this year

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

June Fever has shiny leaves, whereas June doesn't. They have different heritage...June from Halcyon, and June Fever from Devon Green.

June is one of the very best hostas you can grow. Congrats on your purchase.

-Babka

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

June can be yellower with more sun. This one of mine gets only an hour or two of morning sun and it even has just a hint more yellow (perhaps chartreuse is more accurate) than those of mine in even less sun.

tj

This post was edited by tsugajunkie on Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 23:12

• BungalowMonkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

June fever is a beautiful hosta as well. Never thought about the spots being fetilizer. Still so new to gardening and much to learn. Spots will stay as hard as that will be for me. Its like seeing crumbs and googies on your kids faces. just want to take some mom balm and rub them clean. Seeing all these pics of June im going to grab a few more today. Being on sale at only $4.00 a plant, just cant pass it up.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Last year.

But nice...I would say.

9 years ago

That's the idea, Bungalowmonkeys! ;-) what a great price...who can resist? Lol

Jon, very nice, indeed!

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    9 years ago

This is my June, taken in early June. It gets most of afternoon sun so has light color. It grows well even though it was planted right next to a locust tree.

9 years ago

This is another June, divided from the parent last fall. It is planted in a shade area with only a couple hours of morning sun. The blue is more evident. They don't look like the same plant.

• BungalowMonkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Vivian that is an awesome june. The second one looks like touch of class. Both beautiful plants and photos.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Vivian, that really does look like Touch of Class, which is, of course, a sport of June.

Bungalow, Here's my June, get's quite a bit of sun.

In contrast, here's June Fever

Be easier to be sure of which one yours is, looking at it dry.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Beautiful, Vivian! Indeed, that DOES look like 'Touch of Class'...That is a great division you made there. Seems like you got a two-for-one! What a beauty, enjoy it. I love it. I do not have it. I should get it!

Don B.

9 years ago

I agree that my 2nd picture does look more like touch of class than of June.

Don, June is one hosta that every one needs to have (IMO)::) I like the fact it is one of the easiest hostas to grow, sun or shade, doesn't mind tree root competition, grows fast, and no issues with slugs, ............

Vivian

• BungalowMonkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a pic from this morning. It is mostly dry, just a few drops of water on it and those annoying spots. Cant wait for it to get bigger. Will keeping a hosta in a small pot, dwarf it until it is replanted? Feel like with the amount of leaves it should be taller and bigger. But maybe not. The pot it was in, was tiny and the roots had completely filled it. It seemed like it had more roots than soil in the pot.

• User
    9 years ago

BMonkeys, I don't know about dwarfing the plant, but I certainly try not to let mine get so packed into the pot that it eats all the potting mix.

When I received Regal Supreme this spring from PDN, it was packed into the square pot too. I removed it and took a razor knife to the bottom half inch of the roots, cut off that square and then splayed out the mass of roots remaining before I repotted it.

I don't always CUT, unless it is the only way to free the root mass. Most of the time, I simply tease them out after blasting the rootball with a jet of water. It's like unsnarling monofilament fishing line! Keep after it, you'll see. Some say the roughing up of the roots makes them grow better. I include the most recent picture of Regal Supreme for your benefit.

Also, I repotted Venus early this spring with the teasing out of roots, no cutting.

Then July 20 2014

Venus

Don't worry about the spots. They will fade as you water it, same way the blue color melts away. Or, wait to next year. Start fresh and clean.

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

This is my baby June that gets mostly shade.

{{gwi:1068466}}

DD

• BungalowMonkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is exactly how the roots were. I couldnt loosen them and thought I might hurt the plant, so I just stuck it in the ground. Its only been a few days, think ill go back out and try cutting them a bit so they are not a tangled tight mess. Thank you for the advice.

Deleware - beautiful June! Love the impatiens.