Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josephines67

Spider eggs...or...?

Here is a pic of Queen of the Seas, still potted. She is growing in an undisturbed area beneath the honeysuckle bush...which is now filling up with delicious red berries for the robins.

I went in close to see all the flower scapes and noticed these white tiny pills/eggs. They are not aphids as they don't move, nor have legs.

If Ms Spider has laid eggs, I'm afraid I wiped off her offspring! :-(
Do they look like eggs to you? The pic is not zoomed in enough, so sorry!

Comments (19)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Can't tell from the photos. But keep in mind that aphids come from EGGS laid on the leaves before they get to moving around.

-Babka

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good reminder! Thank you. I've never seen aphid eggs but more than enough aphids. They love the lupins and the Anthony Waterer spirea. Just recently, I found some teeny green ones on my Smith /Beilstein's streakers.

When I saw them on QOTS at first, I automatically started wiping them off. (The pic I took was of days ago. I had not noticed the tiny pills/eggs until today when admiring flower scapes.) I managed to wipe them off, then sprayed soapy solution.

These eggs are pure white and wiped off very easily. I'll spray again tomorrow morning.

I also think it wouldn't hurt to trim off some branches to open up the canopy somewhat and allow more air flow in that area. It happened to be the favourite spot for slugs last year. Really enjoying no slug bites on potted hostas but I've removed a few little snails already before they started munching. Must be new generation.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Aphids don't lay eggs until late fall, when they are getting ready to overwinter. All of the gazillion generations all season are live births.

Spiders don't lay single eggs, but produce different manner of egg filled egg sacs.

Can't tell what you've got there.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Rhizo for weighing in. I may have read some of your posts on another forum last year :-).

I'm familiar with spider sacs as I have a few busy spiders in my garden and I protect them and their sacs when I can. I've actually relocated a spider and her attached sac from a hosta leaf to another perennial, lol.

Before I too quickly (didn't take more photos) removed them, I did note that they were suspended or attached in a vertical position on the petiole in a ladder like effect. There were also a few attached to and around the flower buds.

I will hose it down tomorrow, spray soapy solution and keep an eye out for it.

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

Jo, I also got information back from the plant disease and insect lab about the presence of flatid planthopper nymphs (Flatidae). These create the large amounts of wax seen on the plant stems. Do you think what you are seeing could be a waxy substance rather than eggs? Just curious because at first when I started seeing the white stuff, which I noticed mostly on the flower scapes, I thought it was eggs also.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Rhizo- I STRONGLY disagree regarding the aphids. I get aphids in spring and then periodically during the summer. Those eggs/or nymphs are NOT on the leaves all winter around here. (No frosts). Perhaps they are in the soil but I remove them from leaves when I see there cyclical clusters. Around here they are cyclical, and some years they are stronger than others.

I have been told by the local horts that if I wash them down to the soil they die.

That has worked for me for over 40 years. Lately I just use Spinosad (Captain Jack's Bug Brew) (organic) and kill them buggers.

-Babka

Original Author
    9 years ago

Lavandar, I will definitely inspect tomorrow morning. Thank you for the heads-up. :-)

Funny thing, picture taking. You don't see anything clearly until you inspect a photo! Not always, but sometimes. If I had not been curious about the number of flower scapes I wouldn't have taken a closer look, with a camera or the good ole eyeball!

This "stuff" removed very easily, left no residue...almost powdery but miniscule. Wish I could attend to it right now!

Babka, a good flushing is on the agenda in the morning. Will report back.
    Thank you.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

You all must have very good eyes. I do not see these eggs, would have passed this hosta thinking it is a very nice plant without any problems. Bernd

Original Author
    9 years ago

Bernd, that photo is not a good one at all...I found a leaf this morning..clearer shot.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Hah! Mealy Bugs! Spray them with spinosad.

-Babka

Original Author
    9 years ago

Aren't mealy bugs the ones that emit foam and are yellow or pale green? I remove them by hand, followed with a squish, ooh ugh, and spray with soapy water. Are these mealy bug eggs?? I ran my hand over them and a wee bit of dark "ash residue powder" followed. Wiping got rid of evidence. Seems harmless compared to a virus or such.

Babka, something new every day, huh? I avoid any chemicals except for ant spray/foam. Soapy water enough, you think?

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Spinosad is approved for organic gardening. Too much insecticidal soap can change the pH on leaf surfaces, so be sure to rinse it off once you kill the bugs.

Here's a google link for mealy bugs. Not like the foam from spittle bugs. Can you look at some thru a magnifiying glass to make sure? There are so many different bugs and I only know the ones I get here in CA.

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: Ewwww...Mealy Bugs

This post was edited by Babka on Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 14:37

Original Author
    9 years ago

Babka, you're the best! Thanks for the cautionary note and big ditto for the link...I'm off to research! :-)

9 years ago

Here's the scoop on aphids. In the early fall, some males are produced by live birth along with all of the females....strictly for the purpose of mating so that the females can lay their eggs. Eggs are how aphids overwinter.

In the spring, eggs hatch and the brand new aphids emerge, most of the them with wings in order to flit to their new host plants. Those aphids will be female. After that, new female generations are born parthenogenetically with each newborn able to give birth herself in just a matter of a few days....and on and on. Each aphid can birth close to 100 babies in her life time, with each of them producing in a matter of days. If one host plant becomes overpopulated, winged generations emerge to fly to a better location.

That's why we find ourselves overwhelmed with aphids practically overnight and why they can seem so stubborn to get rid of.

The best control of aphids is still a strong spray of water right from the hose. Not strong enough to harm the plant, but enough to knock the aphids off. Once washed away, they can't get back on board. Or squishing! They don't live in, live on, or emerge from the soil, so don't worry about that.

Why plain water? Because there are soooo many beneficial predators and parasites of aphids that even soapy water can destroy along with the aphids. Many are extremely small and fragile, just like the aphids themselves.

I honestly don't see anything that looks to me like mealybugs. If you look at some images of mealies, I think you'll see a clear difference. But, without a closer-upper picture, I can't tell you for sure what they are....just what I think they are not, if that's any help. Maybe my glasses need to be adjusted though.

Josephine, were those egg thingies attached by little threads?

Attached is a link to an image of aphid eggs. Very slick and shiny, oblong; they start out pale green and then darken to black as they mature.

Here is a link that might be useful: aphid eggs

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi, Rhizo! Thanks for hanging in there on this subject. Nope, no filaments to hang on to but they defy gravity how they were just clinging to the stem, leaf and buds. Kind of like raindrops do on hosta leaves. :-)

I just gave the Queen another good clean water soaking spray all over, under and between leaves buds and the entire pot. In open shade drying out. No "clingies" of any kind but will be watchful. Looks ostracized sitting there by herself, out in the open. Will update but I'm hopeful I caught it in time. Hate infestations of any kind...except hosta infestation...ER...I mean affection.
    Thank you for the aphid link too! :-)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

I use a hose end fitting called a Bug Blaster. It has a controllable very fine but forceful spray. It gets those aphids off my Jap. Maples and young camellia leaves w/o destroying the delicate leaves.

I always assumed that those unmoving ovals were eggs and the winged things were adults.
    I will be more observant, but I thought we can also get aphids in winter around here, with no frosts.

Bummer. I only speak from my own experience dealing with bugs, and happily yield to an expert "bugger". ;-)

-Babka

Edited to add a smile....my post is meant in fun, and when I re-read it, it didn't sound that way.

This post was edited by Babka on Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 21:45

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

Could it be the early stage of whiteflies? I used to see them in California, but I don't know if you have them where you are.

"Whiteflies, like many insects, have immature (nymphs) and adult stages. Adults lay eggs randomly, in circles or arcs on the underside of leaves where they spend their entire life cycle. Whitefly nymphs have small, oval bodies and no wings and no apparent legs or antennae. The adults that emerge form mature nymphs are winged and look like a very tiny moth."

9 years ago

They don't look like whitefly nymphs, either, darn it.

Babka, I think I like that bug blaster nozzle. It's difficult to explain to someone how to use their hose to blast insects from plant foliage without actually shredding the leaves to smithereens. I've learned to use my thumb to create a pretty strong fan spray that does the trick without damaging foliage, but that nozzle is pretty nifty.

Some years ago, someone from the forums showed us before and after images of his plant following such a treatment. Aphids were the pest, as I recall, and he has lots of them.

The "after" shot was pretty much of the main ribs of the plant, with a few shreds of the leaves hanging down. I still laugh at all that.

Original Author
    9 years ago

You all will be happy to hear that QOTS is nice and clean! I did spray her down vigorously a few times and continue to monitor. All's well that ends well!

Thank you to Babka, Rhizo, Lavendar, Bernd and Sandyslopes for your interest and your input. Much appreciated. :-). It is comforting to know help is right there when you need it.

Jo