Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maggiepie_gw

Which is which?

maggiepie_gw
9 years ago

One of these is Paul's Glory and the other is Paradigm.
I can't remember which is which )-:

This one is in shade for almost all of the day.

This one is in sun until fairly late afternoon.

Hoping someone can sort them out.
Both pics taken late this afternoon.

Comments (19)

• brandys_garden
    9 years ago

The 2nd one is Paul's Glory. It looks like mine. I hope that helps.

• jimr66
    9 years ago

1st pic Pauls Glory
    2nd pic Paradigm.

Pauls Glory has a more upright growth habit,
    Paradigm is more of a mounding type.
    J.

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

I'd say Paradigm is pic 2...

Paul

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Number 2 Paul's Glory

My Paul's Glory

Jon

This post was edited by jonnyb023 on Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 22:34

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Paradigm gets larger leaves. Cannot tell from the photos regarding leaf size. Sun vs. shade makes a big difference, so it is tough to compare pics.

-Babka

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

Here is a pic of my Paradigm. I would say pic #2 is Paradigm. (Those are lilies on the left side.)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Please put some form of measure in your photos. Ken likes to put a lighter, I like beer cans some people use a pen or even a ruler (!). Don uses a person! But then his hostas are really large!

-Babka

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

yeah... i would use the camera for scale.. but my get smart camera lighter is broken ... lol

i havent finished my first coffee ... but i barely see variegation on the first plant ... would either of the suggested names be all green by now???

ken

• Eleven
    9 years ago

The second one looks like my Paradigm in sun. I don't know about the first one. I thought Paul's Glory should show more of a color distinction even in shade?

• timhensley
    9 years ago

Here is Paradigm in full sun. Which looks more like #2.

• maggiepie_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Will try and remember to use a small ruler or something when taking hosta pics for ID in future.

Here are pics of both plants in Spring 2013.

Hosta in full sun.

Hosta in Shade.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Maggiepie, I am compelled to tell you that I think both of these hostas are just beautiful! I can't offer any suggestions as to who is who but I sure would be happy if my newly acquired Paul's Glory grows as beautifully as those two in a couple of years! :-)

Hope you get a confirmed ID soon.

10 mins. Later and I finished getting more coffee...did some reading...hope this additional info helps.

1. PG: leaves measure 9 x 7, 10 vein pairs
    2. P: leaves measure 11 x 9, 15 vein pairs

Shouldn't that do it, you think?

Jo

• maggiepie_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your input, Jo.
    Am wondering how mature a hosta has to be to attain the final leaf size.
    Have never counted veins before this, do immature hostas have same amount of veins as mature hostas?

The hosta in sun's biggest leaf is 8X6"

Hosta in shade is 10X6.5

Just noticed by turning leaves over it was much easier to count veins accurately.

The hosta in sun that measures 8X6" actually has 13 sets of veins.

The hosta in shade 10X6.5 has only 10 sets of veins plus one in middle.

This post was edited by maggiepie on Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 13:34

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

I count 13 and 11 veins. Leaf size will be affected by sun/shade...leaves in sun being smaller to limit transpiration (the evaporation of water from plants, occuring chiefly at the leaves).

Call them whatever you want and if they prove to be inaccurate, then revisit later. Most garden visitors will not care.

Paul

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

I picked up the measurements and vein count from the database on the Hosta Library and Grenfell/Shadrack New Encyclopedia. FYI

Paradigm with larger vein count, PG with smaller vein count. :-)

• ctopher_mi
    9 years ago

The first one is a Paul's Glory, but it isn't really the best representation as it should have a lighter center to it. If I grow 100 Paul's Glory I will always have 3 or 4 with a barely noticable center and I try to cull those out. Rarely do any show the center right away in the spring so it is sometimes hard to tell if one will end up like yours. Then I see some Paul's Glory from other growers that are more like Orange Marmalade with a thin margin, so there is a lot of variation out there in this cultivar.

But the second one is definitely Paradigm. Just look at the flowers on these two - Paradigm has white flowers and Paul's Glory lavender so that is the final proof as to which is which.

Chris

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

doesn't paradigm flash brassy gold in late summer.. early fall ...

whereas PG .... goes towards parchment... like gold standard ...

ken

• maggiepie_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for the input.

Chris, I can't see any difference in flower colours, only difference I can see is plant in shade has larger flowers.
    Both have a slight tinge of lavender on the buds but opened flowers are white, although maybe a very faint lavender stripe down the center of each sepal.
    Do hosta flowers have sepals or petals or neither?

Here's a pic.

Flower in sun left, flower in shade right

• Eleven
    9 years ago

In your flower pic, the ones on the left are definitely white, while the right ones have the lavender tint. Look at the tip of the bud and base of the flower. This lines up with Chris's vote.