Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hippieindenial

What hosta traits are you a sucker for?

TheHostaCottage
9 years ago

What hosta traits are you a sucker for? Ripples, shine, corrugation, leaf shape, etc......

I have a hard time saying no to a hosta with a yellow and white mix in the margin.

Here is Dust Devil as an example of my weakness:

I can't wait to hear everyone elses.

Vanessa

Comments (43)

• hostanista
    9 years ago

Right now, at the moment, this very second, at this time, currently, and today, it's pie crust edges, the curlier the better. But ask me again tomorrow.

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Blue with light green margin or vice versa.

Paul

• redwolfdoc_z5
    9 years ago

Leaf shape - those lovely hearts capture mine!
    Shine - the darker and shinier the better!

I'm pretty much a newbie - I've got fifteen currently. My favourites among them are Devon Green and Risky Business, though I can't be totally consistent and predictable (my DH wouldn't know me)... I also love the ruffles on Candy Dish, the colours in Rainbow's End and those sweet little Mouses (Blue, Green, and Frosted, with an eye to get Supreme one day)

Karen

Devon Green - a baby; new this year

Blue Mouse Ears - my first Mouse

Risky Business, also new this year

And just 'cause I love it: Autumn Frost (early in the season)

• maggiepie_gw
    9 years ago

Pie crusts and puckers for me.

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

While im sure this will change as I see more hostas in person, vs photos. But when I go through my wish list that has photos, I seem to have a lot of frosted looking blues, many with creamy margins or centers. Because I have never seen many in person who knows if the color is what the photo looks like.

Azure frills
    Skydancer
    Yankee blue
    Frosted dimples
    First frost

Are a few of the many on the blue side of the wish list.

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    9 years ago

I'm partial to yellows, good substance, ruffles, dimples, pie crust, but I also like blues. And greens. I like fragrant flowers, but also have a soft spot for spider-like flowers. I like lanceolate leaves, but do see the charm of the nearly round ones. Bottom line is, what speaks to you and that could easily change as the seasons change.

Pieter

• DonnaDelaware
    9 years ago

I'm also a sucker for wavy, curly, or piecrust edges. But I also like the hosta whose leaf color transitions throughout the season. Love those fragrants, too, for their flowers.

DD

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Last year it was anything bright ~ yellows and golds. This year it's dark, almost black ones.

Piecrusts are alluring...

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

...but so are puckers.

• redwolfdoc_z5
    9 years ago

HostaTakeover, can you (or anyone else, for that matter) recommend any really dark, medium sized hosta? I was lusting after Lakeside Black Satin, but by many accounts on this forum, it's tricky and often disappoints.

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Redwolf, my #1 pick would be Irish Luck. It's hardy, delightfully dark, shiny, great veins, piecrusted, and can be grown in a considerable amount of sun.

It's pictured above actually, although the lighting in that photo lends a more greenish hue to it than what you see with the naked eye.

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

Redwolfdoc - Devon green is a really dark green medium-size hosta, and a relatively inexpensive purchase. Mine is new this year.

DD

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    9 years ago

Its the big, blue/green leaf with a yellow margin.

• unbiddenn
    9 years ago

One of each.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

I, like Paul, am a sucker for the blue green combo. Lately, though, heavily corrugated yellows have struck me as beautiful, especially if it has that lighter blush to it. And, seriously, who doesn't like piecrust edges! I also like that unique gold color that you see in Seducer and Lil Abner. Still haven't met many blues that I don't like.

I can tell you what I don't like in one word, though. Minis. For me, the bigger, the better.

• mikgag Z5b NS Canada
    9 years ago

All of them, except the lance shaped leaves. Especially vase shaped yellows, and blue/yellows like Tokudama Flav....and anything related to Montana.

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Funn, another one that has that unique gold color is The King. I didn't realize from the photos it was like that...had to see it in real life. Really pretty color combo.

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

Definitely the multi-variegated blues but currently (this year anyway) 'Liberty' is top of my list. It's majestic, elegant & stunning.

• luckykat13
    9 years ago

I too am in love with blue with bright green margins. Secret Love. Abiqua Moonbeam. Tea Time. Can't get enough of these this year.

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

Puckered leaves good color contrasts, and aqua blue monsters..oh yeah I am waiting to fall in love with those slow poke streakers .

• bama_gardener
    9 years ago

I love all the blues. But living here on the hot, humid, rainy Gulf Coast, my Fragrant Blue and Mouse Ears are just green. I may follow moccasinlanding's example and put them in pots for protection so that I can enjoy the colors longer.

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

How to choose? I really, really love big, rugose, heavy textured blues.
    But also like piecrust edges,
    and variegation of multiple colors.

Definitely favor large and giant sized hosta, but there is a need for the smaller hosta in the garden too.

I think the one thing that is NOT my favorite is narrow, elongated leaves of thin substance (but I have a few of those too)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

I'm a sucker for these kinds of traits...I know, I didn't answer the question directly, but it is an answer in itself, on the cheeky side, LOL

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

My favorite are big variegated leaves with multiple colors. The addition of water drops just makes me love it more!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Seriously though, this year I love pie crusting and ripples although usually I'm weak when it comes to blue and cream combinations.
    Here is Bridal Falls, new this year and I look at it a lot!!! An increase of 7 leaves and a flower scape is already an inch tall. Really bowled over by its simple beauty... Pie crust and all!

• Jagd51
    9 years ago

The Really big ones for me,,,,,all colors and shapes, but especially piecrust edges......There are not many I can resist!

• User
    9 years ago

Pie crusts, yellows/golds, giant size, puckers, vase shapes.
    But I tend to like yellows as a pop of color amongst a bunch of blues.

• Kate1970
    9 years ago

Streakers and wavy edges & pie crusts

H. Rotini

="http:>

Ginsu Knife

Wavy Streaker Savannah Supreme

Spartacus

Pearly Gates

This post was edited by Kate1970 on Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 16:20

• beverlymnz4
    9 years ago

My favorites I think are elegant hostas. Long pointed tips, wavy edges, and/or nice fountain-like habit. Except that I also like rugose, rounded unruly hosta. Oh, yeah, and everything in between.

• altheatime
    9 years ago

HostaTakover,

"...but so are puckers."

What's the name of that gorgeous one you whose photo you added on Wed at 11:04?

Thanks!

• redwolfdoc_z5
    9 years ago

Hosta Takeover and DelawareDonna, thank you.

I'd just like to say that you are all reprehensible enablers.

:)

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

altheatime, that one is Lakeside Dream On. I must admit it's my favorite of all......lol, at least this year.

"Now if only they would come up with a variegated large cupper."

Phil, have you seen Blueberry A La Mode? It's even more beautiful than the pics on the HL. The white edges become a bit wider with age.

• altheatime
    9 years ago

HostaTakeover, thanks!
    Where did you buy that beauty?

• User
    9 years ago

Uh-oh, time to make some choices.....
    I'd have to say, excluding all the fragrants just because I love em all, I doubly love those fragrants which are either gold or have gold middles with green margins.....MOST favorite variegation. And then of course, I love the greens with the neat edges, beautiful flowers, jet green darkness of leaf, shiny especially, good substance if possible, sunworthiness of course. In my garden, I must class the blues with the greens because that is what they become. Even some of the greens become golds in this climate. One family I love are the Squash Casseroles. Did I already say the golds with green margins?

And then I have a new love, Fair Maiden. It is sharp! Thanks, Don.

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

At a fund-raising auction earlier this year. It was very kindly donated by Ken Ziarek who, through wonderfully odd circumstances, I happened to meet at Land of the Giants Hosta farm last month. From what little interaction I've had with Ken, he is a WEALTH of information. Would dearly have LOVED to see his gardens but sadly, there just wasn't time.....my ONE regret about the whole trip to the Midwest Regional.

• altheatime
    9 years ago

Thanks HostaTakeover- what a treasure you have! I'm going to be on the lookout for that one!

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Vigorous-growing yellows with green edges, like Yesterday's Memories. That gets me happy!

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Different beautiful and unusual blue shades that stay blue practically all season, like Silver Bay.

• User
    9 years ago

There you go Don, I am on the same page with vigorous growing and yellow with green edges for sure!

I had an epiphany this spring when I made the connection between Yesterday's Memories and Squash Casserole and all of those sports in that family. AH HA! I sez to meseff. That is something to double down on, a sure winner.

Yesterday's Memories was my first one to exceed 36 inches wide early in the spring. Then Squash Casserole did it. I think now I have a few more those dimensions, but the green margins are where it's love at first sight. Never met one with that variegation that I did not like.

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

sucker for the seersucker first ⦠but i can find something to love/adore about every plant â¦

dave

• hostacats
    9 years ago

Wow moccasinlanding fair maiden is on my list!!! I LOVE that one.

Jopsephine hahahaha I like the photo you put in there with all hostas!! That's my girl you go for it. I like them all too!! lol

I like anything with white margins or yellow margins right now. The brighter the better.

michelle

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

The beautiful BOLD splashes of color on several varieties of fragrant hostas, like this Cathedral Windows. I'm a sucker for 'em.

Don B.