Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mbug_zone6

Potted pics

mbug_gw
10 years ago

I recently began trying to grow more Hosta in pots. Partly because of space issues, but mainly because of the inspiration from many of you who grow Hosta in containers so well.
Here are some from today
Autumn Frost

Paradise Island

Journey's End

Wolverine

Fire Island and Fireworks

Earth Angel

Thanks for looking

Comments (15)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

They look so happy in their pots. Autumn Frost is especially lovely in a white pot.

-Babka

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Journeys End is haunting me lately ....gottahaveit gottahaveit gottahaveit now!

Sorry, momentary hosta spasm there. They all look great! I agree about the Autumn Frost. And did I mention I LOVE your Journeys End?

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

Very happy looking hostas. Just put Journey's End on my want list. Glad to have another hosta pot grower (like me)!

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

I have about 15 in pots this year and they seem to be liking it. I have a lot of rocky areas in my garden (housing development) that also happen to be in shade. The pots work really nicely.

• mbug_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. They do look happy don't they.

Jadie......this one's for you
    {{gwi:1068937}}

• User
    10 years ago

Oops, MBug, that last picture disappeared.....is it a matter of PHotobucket's "bandwidth" like Phil had a while back?

I like the white pot too. Also, Journey's End set all those nice seed pods. Maybe some will fall on a good spot and present you with some OP seedlings next spring. I do admire Journey's End. Mine set seed this year too.

Glad to have another person trying the potted approach to hosta growing.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Love that Journey's End.

I've thoroughly enjoyed growing hosta in pots. I've been growing seriously since 2009/2010. Some of mine are getting mature, finally. I'm so pleased with them.

It's worth it.

bk

• User
    10 years ago

BKay, I'm getting the feeling that your garden problems may be abating, including the darling demon doglet growing up. Is she exercising some restraint or maybe just relaxing in the heat?

Have you ever given her one of those blue plastic wading ponds to play in? She might like it. Wish I had the picture of a big chow laying in my small plastic wading pond a few years ago. Priceless.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Mbug, your potted hosta look great, every single one you've posted...But that 'Journey's End', Wowee!! Fantastico!

Don B.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Mocc, Cleo hates water. She's a desert dog. My shepherd loves it. He never liked a kiddie pool, though. He loves going to the lake, however.

I finally found a way to exercise Cleo. She's much more manageable now. The exercise really lowers her energy level. In addition, hosta no longer interest her. I thought for a while, I wasn't going to make it with her. (Thank the Lord for favors.)

My first round of hosta are getting to be three and four years old now. The leaves are getting large. Everything is flowering. Invincible has 8 or 10 flower stalks. I really wish I had started more, sooner. Maturing really makes a difference.

Even really common hosta are nice, especially when they begin to mature

bk

Francee

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I agree, Bkay. There is a great satisfaction, I am discovering, in seeing obviously immature/baby hosta start to get some clearly more mature charictaristics compared with previous seasons. It's a lot of fun.

Glad Cleo kicked the hosta habit, they're all yours again!

Don B.

• User
    10 years ago

Nice Francee too, BK.

My two b&t girl doxies are learning to love the water hose. One sits there as the sprinkler passes over her, not budging from her post at the base of her pine tree stump, where she KNOWS there is a squirrel hiding. The younger one rips and tears around the garden, digging holes in the shredded cypress mulching, snorting, and happy as a bug to be cooled off. I imagine black coats get pretty hot, even short ones.

• mbug_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wonderful Francee BK. I always enjoy seeing your pics

• rosebud0388
    10 years ago

I'm new to hostas and have a few in pots. I'm wondering what do you do with the pots in the winter?? Any advice?

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

I would suggest you take Ken's advice on overwintering or someone who lives close to you. I'm in Texas and I don't have to do anything, but nothing freezes for more than a couple of days here.

I understand the object to overwintering them where it freezes is to keep them frozen and don't let water pool in the top of the pot (where the top of the pot thaws and the bottom stays frozen). I think a lot of people turn them on the side after they are frozen and put them on the north side of a building where the sun won't heat them.

Keep asking questions until you get a satisfactory answer.

bk