Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazyhouse6_gw

Please help HVX ?

crazyhouse6
10 years ago

Please take a look at my pics and let me know if I have an issue with these hostas. They were given to me by a friend last summer. At the time I had never heard of HVX. I have learned more about HVX and added a few more hostas to my collection since then thanks to lurking around this forum. Thanks so much!

Hosta 1

Hosta 2

Hosta 3

Comments (9)

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Hosta 3 - looks to be hvx. But 1 and 2 I think are just white areas greening up.

Paul

• jimr66
    10 years ago

Hosta 3 for sure has HVX, it is very common on that type (Sum & Substance). The 1st one (undulata mediovariegata) looks like it is just getting too much sun. Move it to a shadier spot, and the color will improve next year. The second one I believe is having the same problem as the first, although I'm not 100% on that one. Hosta 3 should be removed and destroyed immediately. Let that spot lie fallow 'till next year. Hope that helps J.

• Lykaon - Ohio Zone 6a
    10 years ago

Not an expert but one will chime in shortly:

1 & 2 look like Undulata type hosta and that coloration change is pretty typical.

Hosta 3 appears to be infected.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Agree with the above....#3 is your HVX problem.

-Babka

• idiothe
    10 years ago

I agree... but remove as much of the plant as possible, be careful not to cross-contaminate with any other plants nearby when you are removing it... don't compost it... and leaving it fallow until next year won't do it. Detritus in the soil can hold the virus - the studies haven't determined for how long... I guess I'd never plant a hosta in the same spot again...

• thisismelissa
    10 years ago

Yup 3 is sick.

1 and 2 not.

• crazyhouse6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for the quick responses. I will follow your advice with the 3rd one.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

clean your shovel with dawn dish soap.. scrub it good..... removing all sap ...

then leave it in the sun for a few days... both sides...

even better.. use a shovel you will never use on any other hosta... most of us have more than one shovel ... declare one your KILLER shovel ...

ken

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Be careful not to come to the wrong but quick solution. I always tested every suspected HVX hosta the last 2 years before I placed it very carefully into the garbage. It happened to me on large beautiful plants and the down side of being wrong is large. Nice big plants cost $50 and 5 years to grow, whereas strips cost $6 each plus shipping.

In May I tested two large mature h.'August Moon' with 1 year old Agdia HVX test strips, which I had kept in the refrigerator. They had green spots on yellow leaves of 2 quarters size each which looked like that bleeding on the last leaf shown above. Tests were negative, no HVX.

Today, July 24, I received another set of 5 Agdia HVX test strips plus pouches of test solution and cut out carefully (different scissors, etc.) quarter size samples of the leaves, exactly where the "bleeding" was. Again the test results were negative, no test lines showed, no HVX.

So what the beautiful yellow h.'August Moon' are doing is possibly some genetic experiments in turning greenish, perhaps getting a green border. One leaf has the tip part 1 inch wide and 5 inches long turned green. These plants have corrugated leaves which means mature, are in their spots for 6-10 years and probably 15 years old.

I was lucky today, no HVX. The two $6 tests on each plant were worth it! It also means there are no other HVX plants showing this year, except the 2 I already discarded. Now I can plant and divide as planned, very carefully, and cleaning all tools repeatedly.
    Bernd