Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bkay2000

Woodchuck treatment

bkay2000
9 years ago

OK, I'll bite, Ken. You can reel me in. What is the woodchuck treatment?

bk

This post was edited by bkay2000 on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 9:04

Comments (24)

• smorz
    9 years ago

click click boom? if u heart woodchucks, I am totally kidding...

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Lol! Bkay, I was wondering the same thing.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

My former neighbor treated woodchucks on his and my property with his air rifle which he bought from Walmart for that purpose. They deserved it!

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken, you have to answer. I will keep bumping it up.

bk

• nutmeg4061
    9 years ago

Could it referencing Van Wade's famous Sum and Substance, which he attributed its fast, massive size to burying a groundhog in the planting hole?

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ground hog, woodchuck, no, I don't think they are the same. But they could be. We'll only know if/when Ken tells us.

bk

• nutmeg4061
    9 years ago

They are considered the same animal according to Google.

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

and ⦠a whistle pig

dave

• mstrecke
    9 years ago

One chucks wood and the other lets us know if spring has sprung...

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

Which poses the question - "How much wood would a wood chuck chuck, if a wood chuck could chuck wood?" And the answer - "A wood chuck would chuck as much wood as a wood chuck could chuck, if a wood chuck could chuck wood." Say that a few times...

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't think I could say the first one until I was 30. It will take me forever to learn the answer, but I like it, so I will.

I tutor young Hispanic children. They love tongue twisters. Especially when they have a Geico commercial to accompany them. They love getting the joke.

bk

• mstrecke
    9 years ago

After a glass or two of wine I am unable to do either without cracking up or failing miserably. I honestly doubt the wine had any influence on it. I think I will stay with the chuckles :)

Margaret

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

'Giv'em a Woodchuck treatment' could be what woodchucks do to plants they really like, that is eat everything above ground plus the crown. One woodchuck did that once to my row of carpatica bell flowers, they never came up again.
    Bernd

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

I had a problem with them for a couple of years. I used a product called Revenge. You have to locate all the entrances to their tunnels and block them off at sunset. You then light one (I used a couple) shove it into the tunnel and then block it off and stand back and enjoy. It provides the 'final solution' to groundhogs in the tunnel system, but no solution to them coming back. I do remember watching the smoke seeping out all over and rolling over the hills calmly at sunset....lovely and soothing...... as revenge often is.

Or you could shoot them, if you are lucky enough to be isolated enough to do this legally or without neighbors to turn you in. None of these will eliminate the world of groundhogs, but regularity may keep them out of your garden. Since I adopted Shasta I don't have the problem. She doesn't run loose, but I think they don't want to come near because of her scent. Deer and rabbits still come around, but no groundhogs.

Jon

• User
    9 years ago

When man's plans come into conflict with animal plans, the winner is not always the two legged critter.

An old friend who was a wealthy oil man, had visions of creating a nice small lake to stock with fish, have a platform in the middle, and a row boat to fish from. To achieve this, he dammed up a small stream crossing his rather large property. He did not ask the beavers what they thought of his plans.

So for years he had this battle with the beavers, who industriously drilled holes in his dam almost nightly, and drained his small lake. He repaired it, and the fight was on. He even hired a guy to patrol the dam and take out any beavers found, but to no avail.

The last time I drove by there, well after the man died, there was no dam, just the stream passing peacefully across and into the stand of willows and river birch trees. So I guess in the end, Mother Nature balances things out.

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

We call them Marmots here. They are also called mountain beaver, land beaver , whistlers. They are in a large load of logs we have and they dig holes all over the fields and danger to our horse and donkeys to trip into. They started coming closer to the house and move under one shed so was time to give them the treatment before they moved into the hosta beds. They are annoying creatures and if in the wild would be fine but moving farther into the area and multiply like mice( not quite) and are full of flees. Our wiener dogs looked after a few

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jon, I have a friend who continually reduces the squirrel population with a pellet gun. It has a scope and everything, just like a regular rifle. To get around his nosey/911 calling neighbor, he opens the back door and stands inside the house to shoot the squirrels. He's not seen, the noise doesn't attract attention because it's minimal and he has fewer problems. The neighbor across the alley doesn't know the difference.

bk

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

I had two co-workers. One a young guy who had no interest in gardening and an older guy who was very serious about vegetable gardening.

The young guy told me how his neighbor (our co-worker) would open up the back window and wait for the ground hog. BLAM, BLAM he would shoot and often hit them.

The young guy got a kick out of watching the show, but was shocked at the first salvo he heard for miles. No one complained. The shot couldn't reach any houses. My guess is no one wanted to antagonize an old coot with a shotgun.

Jon

• User
    9 years ago

Faye, did your weiners actually go after them? I will tell my DH about that. When I introduced him to his first weiner dog, he said if he had known what they were bred for, he'd have had a hundred of them. His encounters with the groundhogs in his garden left him foaming at the mouth,

My older girl will not dig, but she sits quietly for a long time outside a burrow until a critter comes out, and she snatches and slings it, breaks its neck in an instant, element of surprise I guess. The younger girl is the digger, and is always helping dig new holes for plants, but only caught an occasional mole. They sure are ground dogs. Very brave too, bred to go down tunnels and have combat. This to me is why they can sleep under the covers all night where I would be gasping for breath. And, even the AKC doesn't penalize show weiners for honest scars earned in combat, because no way can you keep them from being scrappers. They have a job to do, and by golly, they do it. Did I mention they were stubborn? :)

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Yes they will go after them but they are not allowed past the yard area because of the donkeys. They would stomp them if given a chance( don't like dogs)They are also not allowed to go out of our fence and across the road where our neighbours have some in a pile of wood waiting to be cut BUT... a couple came over into the yard and with team work off"d a few. For such little dogs they turn into vampires. One bit our Penny dog in the ear and that was a major mistake as she yelped and then finished it off. They are very quick. Also don't like the squirrels either and the squirrels tease the heck out of them

• User
    9 years ago

Well, all that sounds so familiar, so true. I know one topic of conversation at the dinner table tonight!.

Love those doxies.

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Moc, My husband and yours would get along just great when it comes to these creatures. He is like Elmer Fudd and the rascal rabbits. My nieces husband can be sent an email with just the word "bang" and he will drive 400 miles to shoot. They live in the city so it is a real treat to hunt them. So funny

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Isn't it interesting that men are such hunters, even after all this time? They really seem to enjoy all the aspects of it. (Maybe it's just that I'm in Texas.)

bk

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Guess we'll never know...

Don B.