Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shiny green?

Posted by Jan.ON 5b/6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 22:20

Can you recommend a medium(ish) shiny plain green hosta? 'Devon Green' looks good to me. Others?
Jan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shiny green?

Lakeside Prophecy or Invincible?

o

Candy Dish, Garnet Prince, and Invincible.

Paul

o

• Posted by babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 1, 12 at 0:19

Invincible.

-Babka

o

Leather Sheen . . . very similar to Devon Green but slightly different growth pattern.

Another one I can recommend is Irish Luck. It gets larger than medium. But still a nice shiney dark green leaf with some pie crusting and semi upright.

Mine is new this month but still a general idea. :)

Ludi

IMG_2401

o

Another shiny dark green is Candy Dish, with a lot of ruffles edging a smooth and shiny leaf.

o

There is an older posting called "I want some interesting solid color " They are all dark green, lots of great pictures and lots of shiny. Was posted June 12th/12 or there abouts.

o

Lakeside Lollipop
Lilipad
Invincible
Candy Dish

o

• Posted by irawon Ottawa ON 5b (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 1, 12 at 8:59

Lakeside Looking Glass. A medium by height. Has very good substance. This picture was taken May 23, 2012

o

Another recommendation for 'Irish Luck'. It is very, very shiny and I love the ruffled edges.

o

Medium-large Second Wind. Just picked it up this summer & it's a beauty.

o

Thanks all. Lots of good suggestions here - I'll see what the local growers still have on this list.
Jan

o

Also take a look at the thread of dark greens probably still on page one here, lots of pictures with that too.

One that I got which was fairly expensive (IMHO) was Braveheart. Short/low, dark, and shiny. Also handsome.:)

o

A good shiny one not mentionned yet is 'Joseph'. I got mine from Hosta Geek (in Nova Scotia) a few years ago.
I also agree with 'Irish Luck' and 'Lakeside Looking Glass'.

o

Here is the link to the other thread about the darks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dark hostas (some shiny)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here