Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostas_for_barb_6b_on_canada

Hostas for lots of sun

hostas_for_barb
9 years ago

I just removed a nest spruce and can now plant a couple of hostas. I have quite a few in pots looking for their forever homes. This spot will get afternoon sun. Which ones will take the hot afternoon sun?
I have the following to choose from:

Striptease
Praying Hands
Xanadu
Great Arrival
Might Mouse
Blueberry Muffin
Fragrant Bouquet
English Sunrise
Liberty
Leather Sheen
Wheee!
Queen of the Seas
Abiqua Drinking Gourd
Gold Standard
Queen Josephine
Minuteman
Church Mouse
El Nino
June

Thanks for your help.

Comments (21)

• User
    9 years ago

I have striptease, gold standard, and June in bright all day sun. They do well, especially June that turns bright gold in the center and may be one of my favorites.

I also have sun sport with them and does great.
    There's a blue in there as well and it stays blue even in the heat of summer which is a little strange as I've heard hot sun will melt the wax off that makes them blue. I think it's a cadet, but not sure.

• sandysoil_2008 6A Near Boston
    9 years ago

My Fragrant Bouquet, Liberty and Gold Standard do well in afternoon sun. Fragrant hostas usually do well in sunny spots.

• magdalo_310
    9 years ago

Allegan Fog, Golden Tiara, June Fever, Paul's Glory, Stained Glass, and Spritzer are all very sun-tolerant based on my experience.

• bluerose007
    9 years ago

Osiris Soleil Levant in full sun all day.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Where are you located? That would make a lot of difference about which hosta can take a lot of sun. I'm in Texas and not many hosta could take a lot of sun here. If you're in Canada, you have a myriad of choices.

bk

• hostas_for_barb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all your suggestions. I think I will try June and see how it does.

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

praying hands won't take up much room, could add that to the mix ...

• bluerose007
    9 years ago

Bkay, I am in Montreal. Most of my hostas are in full sun since I don't have much shade.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Actually, I was asking Barb. She wants to know what will do well in the sun, but doesn't tell us her latitude and zone. It makes a big difference.

bk

• maow
    9 years ago

Striptease and fragrant bouquet for sure, all day suin my zone, and it blooms so well too.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

No full sun here, except for the early morning hours.

-Babka (northern California)

• Lykaon - Ohio Zone 6a
    9 years ago

Anything with fragrant flower will do well in that location. It seems the whole plantaginea family tree seems to like sun.

• User
    9 years ago

The more sun you give a hosta, the more water it needs. And the higher your altitude, the more the sun affects the plant, OR the higher your gardening zone, the more the suna ffects a hosta.

It requires fine tuning to your particular location, before something can be stuck out there to fry or die. A blanket response for all is not available. Where do you garden?

• hostas_for_barb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all your suggestions. In response to your questions, I garden near Windsor, Ontario, Canada - right across from Detroit, Michigan. I am in zone 6a-b.

• hostas_for_barb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow hillbilly! How do you get praying hands to grow so well? I killed one and my new one has not put out a single leaf since I got her a couple of months ago. I left her in the pot as I heard that was a safer way to go with PH.

• hostahillbilly
    9 years ago

Barb, that's not our PH. K Gardens has real dirt, Zone 5+ climate, and what's more, has Tim spoiling the Hostas. He grows big man Hostas!

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Boy, that's a lovely Praying Hands. Five more years, and mine may get there.

Barb, sorry I can't help you. I'm in Texas, a whole different world.

bk

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Those are impressive Praying Hands there. I'll then assume K Gardens can grow nice robust examples of all kinds of other cultivars as well!

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 15:56

• User
    9 years ago

Now THAT Praying Hands is one I could like.

I have its tiny sport, Hands Up, which I like, but it is still young and an underachiever. If it grows into a ball like that of electrified twisted green, I'll be pleased.

June 14 2014

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

I can't say that 'm a fan of praying hands. It certainly shows much better as a mature plant.

Raucous Ruffles soaks up the sun. My baby gets almost 6 hours of it. And this will be a stunner when mature with extreme puckering and wavy leaves. (Medium size)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler