Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mbug_zone6

Hosta Sun Garden

mbug_gw
9 years ago

Started this as an experiment....this is the third year it's been growing. The area is in the front of my House, south facing, getting about 5-6 hours of mid day sun in central New Jersey. Hosta and Daylillies are both thriving. Not a single crispy leaf in two years.
So Sweet, June, Touch of Class, and Gold Standard.

June becomes bright yellow but holds the color all summer..... different coloration from my other Junes...but just as pretty....Touch of Class doesn't look much different than the ones in shadier locations

Gold Standard

So Sweet....growing fast and loving location

So far all is going well and it's been a real treat with the blooms popping.
Thanks for looking

Comments (8)

• hostacats
    9 years ago

Oh my!! This is what I wanted to see!! South facing and you have hostas thriving along with daylilies!! This means I CAN do it. Wow all the possibilities that are going through my head right now!!! LOL. I have a south facing side of my house where I have nothing right now because its always to hot and dry. The front of my house gets morning sun but along my driveway Ive got daylilies planted all along....they are so big though daylilies multiply like crazy. I will be putting hostas in my front yard, just have to do some trimming, moving of daylilies or give some away.
    A person will always make room for more hostas

michelle

• User
    9 years ago

I have dozens and dozens of hosta in full sun even during the hottest parts of the mid day, and they all do well. They weren't originally in sun, but I lost a large tree several years ago. My June also turns bright gold and is that way already. Quite different from my June in the back hard where they're under shade of ash and oak and willow.

Love your pink day lilies too...so pretty.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

LOVE, love, love your lilies and hostas - such pretty colour contrasts and amazing specimens of hostas...I keep looking at the pics. :-). Really a treat.

Thistle, amazing picture! Nothing bad ever happens to June, no matter where you put her. I love the colour the sun brings out in her as much as the subdued tones acquired in the shade.

• mbug_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

michelle- You don't want to move any directly from shadier areas to bright sun,,,need to be able to adapt or start the season in that location....obviously pick ones that can handle more sun

ThistleAndMaize....Beautiful picture....I will be dividing some of the DL's and looking to add another Hosta or two....anything other than the ones I already have there doing very well for you?

June in the shade for contrast

• hostacats
    9 years ago

Thanks mbug. Yes they will fry if I move shaded ones to the sun, so I can mark what I want for this spring or do you move in fall??? I'm a bit afraid of that though because of my zone and cold winter.
    I'm getting a bunch of new ones in the mail by end of week......maybe I will plant them in more sun and prop something up in front of them for now so that they don't fry in july and august. I have two planted that I have empty pots in front of them for now. I don't care as long as they don't die. So far so good, and new leaves are coming so I know they are doing well.

michelle

• User
    9 years ago

Let's see, what else do I have in sun.... Night before Christmas, sun power, striptease, some blues I think are halcyon and they do stay blue all summer, wide brim, and this one pictured which I'm unsure what it is but could be gold standard (maybe).

Oh, and Francee. And lots of common variegated that were planted by the previous owners.

I experimented by putting climax in a bright spot too so I'll see how that turns out.

• hostacats
    9 years ago

Oh my gosh. 'm excited for my days off now. Plan what I want to move if I want to move this year because of the HVX that appeared or just to be on the same side, just put the new ones that are coming in the sun. Nothing else is in the sun except for perennials that like sun. No hostas nearby to get the HVX if I accidently leave any behind. Hmmmm the ones coming though are more expensive compared to some that I already have, like the common ones that have many of them.....Think I better practice with common ones first you think??

• hostanista
    9 years ago

Beautiful gardens, mbug!