Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is this frances williams?

Posted by steeltowninwv none (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 22:28

is it frances Williams?..i hope not..i bought these at Walmart in the bulb section..just said mixed hostas....I bought before I really got into hostas...frances Williams is pretty but I have heard it has lots of problems..and hard to keep looking nice

photo 20140703_204048_zpsnnqisuwp.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is this frances williams?

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 22:50

Could be. Too young to tell. Give it a few years.

-Babka

o

Duplicate, sorry.

This post was edited by josephines67 on Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 1:23

o

I have a few and this looks similar to my young one...

o

Could be, Steel. But don't be too bummed out. This is just my personal take, but I've had a FM that, while still pretty small, after three seasons, only has minimal heat/wind damage. I may be in the minority, but it looks OK. There are a lot of other hostas that get their fair share of damage throughout the season, but don't have the bad rep FW does. Don't automatically count her out yet! : )

Don B.

EDIT: For what it's worth, I did site it out of most direct sun, per it's reputation, but it's looking pretty nice here, in spite of regularly high winds. Me personally, it'll always have a spot in my garden.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 2:12

o

Can't say if it is or not. Sorry I realize that is of absolutely no help. Here is the one I purchased a couple weeks ago.

o

Looks like it. You'll know for sure when you see the burn marks on it.

bk

o

This h. 'Frances Williams' is looking bad?

o

I never heard it being a problem. As in what kind of problems?

o

It really does. Starting a new garden and all, i'd be willing to take that thing off your hands. How long did it take for yours to get that terrible and large?

o

wow..u all give me hopes

o

This is my 3rd year FW. It gets a couple hours morning sun and a couple hours afternoon sun. Have not noticed leaf burns. In an alley area in our downtown, there are several gigantic FWs, simply striking. I fell in love with FW after seeing them. Hopefully mine will eventually gets that big, although it is planted right next to the tree trunk of a mature Birch. I probably should move it into a spin bag this fall.

o

Sure hope mine looks like that in 3 years. So pretty!

o

Wow, Mr. Bernd, lookee that one! Nice! How long have you had it?

Don B.

o

Bernd, you don't count. You can grow Great Expectations. For most of us, Frances Williams has a lot of brown marks. I hid one under two large hosta, so that she got no direct sun or wind. She is burned. You guys in Zone 5 have a magic environment. There are much better hosta than Frances Williams for the same buck.

bk

o

Bernd's counts, Bkay! LOL Why not, I have mine simmering in 100 degree heat. He has 86 degree highs today. I have some that look worse than my FW. Do you have a lot of varieties that don't easily fry in Dallas? I'm not trying to start a fight, I'm just asking, if so, I wanna get what you have!!

Cheers,
Don B.

o

I think FW comes up with brown marks. It has those little uglies by May 1. I don't have any other hosta that looks that ugly that early, barring cold damage. This year, Guacamole looks bad, but it doesn't look bad every year. Ann Kulpa was another one I had that looked bad every year. It has a new home. The problem with Frances Williams is that every time I go sport fishing, I end up with another one.

I didn't mean anything bad about Bernd. I'm just if you have the environment to grow Great Expectations, chances are your Ann Kulpas and Frances Williams will be beautiful. Most of the rest of us are not so blessed. Not that I would trade, mind you. I don't want to live where it's cold, even for a spectacular Great Expectations.

bk

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 9:12

I've had FW in a bed for 25 years. It's never been divided and barely received any care (my parents). It's always been a ugly plant till I moved home to care for my parents last year. This year, it's actually rather pretty and it MIGHT need division next year (lol).
One of the secrets is that it has always gotten frosted on when the leaves are fully emerged...I am here now to cover it with a blanket. Also have vole problems (severe)..so probably just lucky this year.
If yours is FW and it does look a lot like it, I wish you luck, OP.

o

My theory is that Frances Williams has bad genes in it's makeup, resulting in weak leaf margin tissue, rather than the sun being the cause of the 'burned edges'. Otherwise why doesn't the green part burn? Plus, if the whole leaf is in the sun why doesn't the entire yellow margin burn, rather than spotty areas? It's a thick leaf hosta. Moving mine to full shade did nothing to reduce the damage.

Apparently, since 1936 when Frances discovered the hosta, several cultivars that look very similar to her have been introduced and there is some question as to what the 'true' Frances Williams should be. This is out of Mark Zilis' handbook. Other Hosta sieboldiana-type hostas such as H. 'Golden Sunburst' and H. 'Borwick Beauty' are also severely impacted with the damage. A similar plant, H. 'Olive Bailey Langdon' is only slightly affected.

So, continuing with my theory, early mix-ups in the trade were probably labeled Frances, resulting in some being the actual Frances and others Borwick Beauty or other sieboldiana type that were carrying the weak margin gene. How else does this explain why some people can grow Frances with no margin damage - in any exposure - and not have any problem?

Mine are gone....replaced with Olive B.L.

My 2 cents

o

I had hoped OBL would do well here. It hasn't. I bought a huge one in 2013 and it's burned both years. It's such a beautiful hosta, it's a shame it doesn't work here. In all fairness, it's in too much sun. I will try it again next year with better shade. If it stays the same, it wants a new, cooler home along with Key West.

That's a shame, too. They were both nice sized plants when I bought them. The nursery where I bought OBL had Great Expectations this year. Unfortunately, it didn't survive the spring at the nursery.

bk

o

I had this h.'Frances Williams' for 4 years. Then I could not resist and bought 3 or so FW plants at HD. That picture was taken June 26, 2014. In July it got some small burns on 3 leaf edges, but not much to see. My story is, it looks great. 3 years ago I had one FW growing in more sun, and reading this forum, I replaced it with 'Olive Bailey Langdon'. OBL also burned at that spot the following year. I have now two OBL slowly growing bigger in more shade,
I am also saying, look at other hostas right now in similar situations and compare, if they look better as your FW. I.e. some might have many holes from slugs, or will grow nematodes, etc..I just looked at one FW which grows behind a juniper of same height, and has no marks, except one rip.
Bernd

o

This is the one I hid under Paul's Glory and Elagans. It has had almost no sun.
FW2 photo 024.jpg

It's not a good hosta for my area in a pot.

bk

This one was in normal dappled sun/shade
FW1 photo 023.jpg

bk

o

I learned something reading this thread. I also have good luck with growing Great Expectations (actually my 2 GEs are easy and fast to grow without any special attention). Here is one GE (also 3rd year plant), receiving all moring sun so the color is much lighter now than spring time.

It could well be that our specific climate are friendly for FW and GEs.

o

Paul - Your therory is interesting and makes sense. How long does it take for the damage to show up on a frances williams if it is going to happen? Is it something that happens to older plants? Or are young frances williams affected as well?

o

The ones pictured above are second and third year plants. I gave away my older FW.

For me, the burned spots show up early. I would guess a month after they come up.

bk

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here