Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soil Moist - Hydrogel

Posted by jamiedolan 4 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 22, 10 at 22:29

HI;

I am wondering if any of you have used a product like Soil Moist or Hydrogel. It is a polymer that absorbs a large volume of water. You mix it in with the soil around a plant.

I've not tried them, but was thinking that they would work well for Hosta.

If you have used them, how do they work compared to just working some peat into your soil?

Thanks

Jamie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soil Moist - Hydrogel

For plants in the ground, I figure if I can't make a decent, well-drained soil without this kind of product I just won't plant a hosta there. In very sandy soil, in addition to the compost/peat moss/etcetera organic matter, I might toss in some perlite if I have some around for making potting soil. It keeps the soil light and can store some moisture.

We do use the water-thingys in pots sometimes - my wife's area of expertize, I'm afraid. One thing she found was when she tried to "cheat" - plant in a pocket of soil too tiny in some special container, and then tried to make up for the too-rapid drying by putting in some of these pellets ---

the pellets swell up with water - and they can push the dirt and themselves right out of the pot. Soil is not naturally constructed to have relatively tiny particles swell to relatively large glumps of jello and then shrink back to small pellets again.

Overall, given the expense and the aggravation, we've pretty much quit using them...

o

that would be an exorbitant expense in my mind ...

but in your zone.. what would happen with all that water capacity.. when the ground froze solid???

though many plants like additional water late into the fall ... many do not like it standing around. ...

i would fear winter rots ...

ken

o

What I calculated in terms of cost based on what I read; was that you could use 1 pound of it on about 80 - 1 gallon pots. I was guessing you would use about the same on a small in ground plant. It is about $7 a pound on e-bay.

Though, good question about the standing water and freezing, I may have to do a small scale test and see what happens. But I sure don't want to find a bunch of dead Hosta next spring.

If it worked, It could be a nice option for our house up north where we are often gone for more than a week at a time and it is all sandy soil. -- I'll stick with the old standbys of organic matter and peat for now to be safe.

Thanks

Jamie

o

I always use it in the planting hole for my Impatients that are in a little too much sun. It works because I can tell the ones who have it and ones that don't.

For me, I don't think it would help much with the amount of water the hostas require.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here