Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

Blue Cadet

paul_in_mn
10 years ago

A fast growing blue-green hosta. Nice as a round dense specimen or as a border. Love how some still list it as 15" wide...lol....hardly. When I was hosta poor and stretching my budget, I found a neighbor selling handfuls of bare root hosta dividing out of his garden.....planted 3 div of Blue Cadet to a hole and moved over about 2 feet and repeat until they were gone - covered about 8 holes. By the end of summer some of these 3 division holes had more than 3 division......did I mention fast growing. Come spring I split and repeat 3 to a hole and in a couple of years I had a decent border with 25-30 clumps. BTW, between border clumps is a great place to plant tulips - tulips have bloomed and faded about the time the border is really kicking in.

Blue Cadet - 15" wide?? really.....double that at least when mature.

Oh, and nice profuse blooming

A few years back I expanded this garden and kept a hint of the Blue Cadet border.

Please add your pics. Thanks for looking.

Paul

Comments (12)

• coll_123
    10 years ago

Paul, I think you have confirmed for me that I have Blue Cadet....bought it years ago labeled Hadspen Blue, and I knew it was not that. But it just kept growing, and I wondered if it could possibly be that "small" blue cadet? I think it must be close to 3' across this year. Funny about those descriptions, right?? I'm pretty sure I have Blue Cadet, and I'll take a pic tomorrow. I love the dense clump form and it is one of the least attractive to slugs, for whatever reason.

This post was edited by coll_123 on Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 23:04

• coll_123
    10 years ago

Boy that does look similar. I just assumed mine was Blue Cadet because it seems that is a common variety to pick up at local nurseries. Mine does bloom profusely and is blooming now, so I will take a pic tomorrow and compare it with yours. I imagine it will not be possible to get a conclusive id, though.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I believe this is a 'Hadspen Blue'. A fast grower that makes a nice-looking mound.

Don B.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Love my BC too. Here's a very recent pic...
    Paul, your BC border is simply beautiful...you've inspired me to do something similar in my tight quarters here..on a smaller scale. .I'll work on that idea. Just how much land DO you have? It seems like it just goes on, and on...a veritable hosta paradise.

10 years ago

My newly acquired Hadspen Blue...the leaves are rounder than yours, Don. Are they the same plant or is this one of those "juvie" things again?

10 years ago

Don, a couple of the leaves on yours have this wavy look that reminds me of a the way a young Sagae looks.....I looked again at your pic because I really like that blue/green hue...are you sure that's a HB? I wouldn't normally second guess you as I'm hardly familiar with I.d.s but its easier when I actually have a plant that we are talking about. I know virtually nothing about Hadspen Blue...perhaps I may have a mislabelled one...

Paul ... I have said this before so please indulge me one more time...I am blown away by your hosta collection and am envious of your growing environment. Your hostas are so healthy looking, so beautiful. It's inspiring to say the least. The 'staging' , it literally takes my breath away. The colour placement is amazing. It's obvious your plants get the best of care and its obvious you have a love for them. It's such a pleasure viewing your pictures and the comments you provide are always informative.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Jo, I think it is a 'Hadspen Blue'. That's the most recent pic I have; it's a bit outdated, it was taken in May I believe. If I have any time later today, I'll snap a current pic. The leaves have flattened and rounded out, more true-to-form (more like yours). : ) It's a nice mound that's topping off the pot nicely.

Don B.

• coll_123
    10 years ago

Here is what I am calling Blue Cadet in my garden from this morning. Measures at about 36" across at the widest point. I think it comes off as "small" because of the small leaves and low height? An illusion!

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Josephine, thank you for all the nice comments. I'm fortunate to have a DW that enjoys the gardens and encourages my efforts. Our lot is about 3/8 of an acre - most of the garden areas were wooded areas that I've cleaned out the scrub and reclaimed, though lawn areas have shrunk a bit as well.

coll_123, looks like Blue Cadet. Right habit in leaves and scapes.

Paul

• Kindness Matters (NE Ohio 6a)
    6 years ago

Once again I'm jumping in on an old thread, but hoping that someone will still respond :) Paul_in-mn (or anyone else who might know), could you please tell me what the other/taller two solid blue hostas are that are in your first pic (behind the Blue Cadet border)? I have a young Blue Cadet, but looking at your pic I'm afraid it's going to be a bit too green for my liking. The taller blue-green hosta in your first pic looks much nicer colorwise, and the medium size blue is a beautiful blue.

If you don't mind, I'm also curious to know what the nice blue with white edge hosta is that is pictured to the left of your Blue Cadet in the second pic. Many thanks...

• Kindness Matters (NE Ohio 6a)
    6 years ago

Col_123, if you happen to see this, could you please tell me the IDs of the two hostas that are to the right of and below your Blue Cadet? Thank you much.