Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue Cadet

Posted by paul_in_mn 4b (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 22:29

A fast growing blue-green hosta. Nice as a round dense specimen or as a border. Love how some still list it as 15" wide...lol....hardly. When I was hosta poor and stretching my budget, I found a neighbor selling handfuls of bare root hosta dividing out of his garden.....planted 3 div of Blue Cadet to a hole and moved over about 2 feet and repeat until they were gone - covered about 8 holes. By the end of summer some of these 3 division holes had more than 3 division......did I mention fast growing. Come spring I split and repeat 3 to a hole and in a couple of years I had a decent border with 25-30 clumps. BTW, between border clumps is a great place to plant tulips - tulips have bloomed and faded about the time the border is really kicking in.
Blue Cadet Border

Blue Cadet - 15" wide?? really.....double that at least when mature.
Hosta 'Blue Cadet' (05)-001

Oh, and nice profuse blooming
Hosta 'Blue Cadet' (05)

A few years back I expanded this garden and kept a hint of the Blue Cadet border.
Blue Cadet Border Spaced

Please add your pics. Thanks for looking.

Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue Cadet

Paul, I think you have confirmed for me that I have Blue Cadet....bought it years ago labeled Hadspen Blue, and I knew it was not that. But it just kept growing, and I wondered if it could possibly be that "small" blue cadet? I think it must be close to 3' across this year. Funny about those descriptions, right?? I'm pretty sure I have Blue Cadet, and I'll take a pic tomorrow. I love the dense clump form and it is one of the least attractive to slugs, for whatever reason.

This post was edited by coll_123 on Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 23:04

o

coll_123 - another that is similar is Hadspen Hawk - a little taller than Blue Cadet

Paul

o

Boy that does look similar. I just assumed mine was Blue Cadet because it seems that is a common variety to pick up at local nurseries. Mine does bloom profusely and is blooming now, so I will take a pic tomorrow and compare it with yours. I imagine it will not be possible to get a conclusive id, though.

o

I believe this is a 'Hadspen Blue'. A fast grower that makes a nice-looking mound.

Don B.

o

Love my BC too. Here's a very recent pic...
Paul, your BC border is simply beautiful...you've inspired me to do something similar in my tight quarters here..on a smaller scale. .I'll work on that idea. Just how much land DO you have? It seems like it just goes on, and on...a veritable hosta paradise.

o

My newly acquired Hadspen Blue...the leaves are rounder than yours, Don. Are they the same plant or is this one of those "juvie" things again?

o

Don, a couple of the leaves on yours have this wavy look that reminds me of a the way a young Sagae looks.....I looked again at your pic because I really like that blue/green hue...are you sure that's a HB? I wouldn't normally second guess you as I'm hardly familiar with I.d.s but its easier when I actually have a plant that we are talking about. I know virtually nothing about Hadspen Blue...perhaps I may have a mislabelled one...

Paul ... I have said this before so please indulge me one more time...I am blown away by your hosta collection and am envious of your growing environment. Your hostas are so healthy looking, so beautiful. It's inspiring to say the least. The 'staging' , it literally takes my breath away. The colour placement is amazing. It's obvious your plants get the best of care and its obvious you have a love for them. It's such a pleasure viewing your pictures and the comments you provide are always informative.

o

Jo, I think it is a 'Hadspen Blue'. That's the most recent pic I have; it's a bit outdated, it was taken in May I believe. If I have any time later today, I'll snap a current pic. The leaves have flattened and rounded out, more true-to-form (more like yours). : ) It's a nice mound that's topping off the pot nicely.

Don B.

o

Here is what I am calling Blue Cadet in my garden from this morning. Measures at about 36" across at the widest point. I think it comes off as "small" because of the small leaves and low height? An illusion!

photo bluecadet_zps4970f559.jpg

o

Josephine, thank you for all the nice comments. I'm fortunate to have a DW that enjoys the gardens and encourages my efforts. Our lot is about 3/8 of an acre - most of the garden areas were wooded areas that I've cleaned out the scrub and reclaimed, though lawn areas have shrunk a bit as well.

coll_123, looks like Blue Cadet. Right habit in leaves and scapes.

Paul

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here