Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littlebug5_gw

Anybody been to Flying Frog Farms?

littlebug5
9 years ago

My neighbor just told me about Flying Frog Farms near Indianola, Iowa, about 2 hours from me. Anybody been there? I may go just to see what they have.

Comments (8)

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

worth the trip, it's just north of town. Turn at the winery signs and go east. Road turns to gravel so don't be alarmed. They are nice folks, and if you want something on their list that is not potted, they'll dig it p. Look for the clump sales along the paths. Enjoy.

dave

• littlebug5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. That might turn out to be a great side trip on the way to the Iowa State Fair.

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

I just want to add this note..Flying Frog has changed their setup and they now have a vending tent near a new planting of young Hosta. You can no longer go back and see the large mature plants as before. It is now Employee only in those areas. I have been there a few times, and I just wanted anyone that planned on driving a long distance to know what to expect. And not to be disappointed .

• User
    9 years ago

Sounds like a perfect weekend trip to make from Cedar Rapids :)

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    9 years ago

I'd study their catalog and preorder. That way you won't have a long wait and the hostas will (hopefully) have been in the pots a few days.

I always went through the gardens, got ideas, and then shopped, but there's nothing to look at now. The lady told us there are five people to do all the selling, digging, potting, etc., and that they just don't have time to keep the display beds weeded. Very disappointing, seeing the beautiful beds of mature plants was half the reason for the trip.

The plants are fine and reasonably priced. Some of the ones I got this year had been freshly dug and needed time to recover, still better than if they'd been shipped.

• thisismelissa
    9 years ago

If you're headed that way, go to In the Country Garden & Gifts. Josh would love the visit!

• User
    9 years ago

Oh my gosh, I saw Josh at the AHS convention in Cedar Rapids last month. I wish I had known who that was at the time. I was running over there during my lunch breaks to buy from the vendors so my conversations with people were brief. And they're just up the road from here. I'll have to take a drive up there this weekend. Because even though I have a bunch of new hostas I haven't planted yet, I clearly need more!

• littlebug5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, gee, I really wanted to see some mature gardens. Sounds like I can't at Flying Frog.

Anyplace else within a few hours of north Missouri that I might be able to visit to actually see mature specimens?