Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Corrugation: Hosta 'Spellbound'

Posted by hostahillbilly Zone 4 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 28, 12 at 22:34

This one is getting what most folk will probably think is too much light to properly show it's greatness, but as another poster resently mentioned, in years gone by (and still occurring in some folks systems), they're grown in big sun to git 'em bigger, badder, meaner, faster, then divided and put in more appropriate light to show them off. Then again, I find several other Hostas that I like both in shade and a tad bit 'too' much sun. But, as Alton Brown sez, 'That's another episode'...

Most here already know my 'Hostas are not shade plants, merely shade-tolerant' rant, so let's cut to the chase:

Hosta 'Spellbound':
spellbound2012-07-27_12-45-47_669

fwiw,

P.S. - d**n cut-worm season rip in the main leaf ! ! !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Corrugation: Hosta 'Spellbound'

Wow, HH, that doesn't have even a wee bit of burn on it. Just a good lesson in how well the sun can bleach things. You sold me.

Actually, with folks telling me that Sugar Daddy is a bum hosta, I am taking that new arrival to use as a guinea pig. I split the new arrival into two pots, and will put one in a lot of sun for most of the day. The other in just morning sun. I think the smaller pot will dry out quicker, so it is the one getting morning sun. The larger pot might not dry out so quickly, so it gets the full sun treatment...until maybe 4pm or so. I'm trying to be bold but I know how very exhausting it is for me to be in full sun these days, so I feel bad for the hosta. The experiment begins in a couple of days, after it gets adjusted to its new container.

Your Spellbound is beautiful in YOUR full sun.

o
RE: Corrugation: Hosta 'Spellbound'

I hereby deny any 'enabling' intent, teehee!

hh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here