Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gypsy Rose or Striptease Difference?

Posted by bluerose007 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 22:42

Can anyone please tell me the difference between these two. I have both but lost the tags.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gypsy Rose or Striptease Difference?

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 22:50

There is a difference. Check the link below.

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: Gypsy Rose differs from Striptease

o

Great link, Babka. To those who have both, or have seen both as mature, do you have a preference?

Thanks,
Don B.

o

I have both,and I prefer Striptease. Gypsy Rose is smaller,and doesn't get the white strip on it. Phil

o

I agree with HostaFreak, the Gypsy Rose is much smaller, more in keeping with Hanky Panky. Striptease is going to be large with a more open form. So is Kiwi Full Monty.

I like the Gypsy Rose. She was my first of the family, and now I have about 8 or 9 of them, which I keep in the same area. Here is the photo of my Striptease family reunion.

Taken May 31, 2014 Back row L to R: H. 'Striptease' - 'Gypsy Rose' - 'Kiwi Full Monty' ...then H. 'Snake Eyes' - 'Juha' - 'Yellow Polka Dot Bikini' - 'Hanky Panky' ... and in front is H. 'Erotica'
IMG_20140531_082956

Since then I added Cabaret, don't know yet what will happen with its growth pattern.
DSCN0422

Time for a new family portrait. They all get morning sun.

o

I have both, I also prefer Striptease but that could be because I have Striptease in almost full shade so it keeps the colours I love and Gypsy Rose is in sun from sunrise to around 2 pm and is also in a pot.
Maybe I would like her more if she too was growing in mostly shade.

These pics were taken a few minutes ago, current temp is 30C/86F

Gypsy Rose

photo gypsyrose-2_zpscd1685e5.jpg

Striptease.

photo striptease-3_zps86e91e01.jpg

I also have Kiwi Full Monty in shade.

photo kiwifullmonty_zps7955b19d.jpg

Just got Snake Eyes, still in pot which slugs have found.
Will keep it in shade too.

photo snakeeyes_zps0ebe0829.jpg

o

I have Striptease and really like it. Gypsy Rose has the clean looking bright centre which I like but I don't have one - YET, lol.

Maggiepie, your hostas look great!

Mocc, your collection is almost complete? Your inclusion of Cabaret (sport of Hanky Panky) reminded me of H. 'Obscene Gesture'.

Twice I submitted this hosta, along with a photo of this hosta growing in my daughter's garden. Twice no one commented on it, not even a peep. Could be that the subject was strictly about sports of Striptease, not sports of sports, which OG is.

Since we are talking Striptease, I provided a link to this interesting hosta from the Striptease family which is also a sport of Kiwi Full Monty.

I was drawn to your picture of KFM, Mocc. It is lovely.

Bluerose, I figure since you already have two, why not expose you to more, as Mocc has also done so beautifully!

Here is my Striptease...this one in a pot still but the larger of my two.

Edited to correct spelling.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2009 thread on Obscene Gesture-fun thread!

This post was edited by josephines67 on Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 14:34

o

My Gypsy Rose is new this year. I needed a smaller version of Striptease. I do see some white streaking in my plant.

photo IMG_1826_zpsa2abc72b.jpg

DD

o

Thanks for the compliments, Jo. You are always so upbeat.
DDonna, I think you will be pleased with Gypsy Rose. It is one of the tidiest plants, very much well groomed always, just like her namesake.

Here is one of my pictures of Gypsy Rose from early on.
August 2013 shown with Georgia Sweetheart. The middles faded late in the summer, but the white "g" string near the leaf tip remained. Good enough for me to identify it as a Striptease family member. Then this year, she became such a neat shape. See what I mean?
DSCN9959
The others look disheveled, but she is so cool and classy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here