Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Have SharpDressedMan, found Rich Uncle, looking for Sugar Daddy

User
11 years ago

I think I said it all in the subject line.

I've had the Sharp Dressed Man since April

I just ordered Rich Uncle after seeing AlmostHooked's plant.

And now I think to round out the set, nothing like a Sugar Daddy. Back to the Hosta Finder. Isn't it a wonderful reference?

You could tell a story with hosta names.

Comments (12)

• Ludicious Acres
    11 years ago

Moccasin . . . Naylor has Sugar Daddy listed on the Auction currently.

Pretty sure it is in their catalog as well.

Good Luck !!

Ludi

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Awwwww, Ludi, that is the answer to a prayer!! As if.....
    well, I do need it....I'll be discreet NEXT year.

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

ha ha .. I guess this make us an enabler or some other kind of relationship waiting to happen.

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

I have Rich Uncle,and Sharp Dressed Man,and you will love them. Have fun! Phil

• ninamarie
    11 years ago

Sugar Daddy is the one hosta I turfed soon after buying it. It suffers from drawstring and shows the effects almost immediately after planting. The colours are delicious, but it does make an ugly mess in the garden. Even its breeder, Mark Zilis, says in the Hostepedia that "it makes an unsightly mound appearance."
    May I suggest you save your money.
    I do have and love Sharp Dressed Man, though it is a slow grower so far. But I wished I never spent my money or wasted valuable hosta space on Sugar Daddy.

• garden_crazy
    11 years ago

Ditto on Sugar Daddy. Mine looks okay but after 7 years it still has only about 8 leaves. -It's in it's third location this year thinking it needed more moisture although the surrounding hostas are fantastic. -Possibly it's issues are why it's hard to find.

• ctopher_mi
    11 years ago

I agree - it isn't worth it. I've never seen any of them actually drawstring, not that there couldn't be some thinner than normal margined plants that do it, but almost all of them suffer meltout of the margin that makes them look pretty bad. Zilis has also said it is one of his worst introductions.

• ninamarie
    11 years ago

Well, I've actually taken mine off the tables and stopped selling them at our nursery. I have also delisted "Carnival' for the same reasons. It's ugly in the garden, though lovely as a young plant, and I think it's unfair to inflict that on an unsuspecting customer.

• bkay2000
    11 years ago

Moccasin,

Are you still getting deliveries in this heat? Are they getting there in decent shape?

bkay

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

Here's my Sharp Dressed Man from earlier this year. It is planted at the base of two large Oak trees. Phil

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What a nice looking hosta, HostaFreak! I must be doing something wrong with mine. Maybe repotting will help.

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

Yeah,this is supposed to be a seedling of Francee,with reverse variegation,according to Bob Solberg. Mine grows a lot bigger than any of my Francees,but it may be because of where it's planted. Phil