Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brenda53159

Hosta Seedlings: 3 Tier Green house

Brenda53159
9 years ago

Hi .. I have a question to ask about my hosta seedlings .. I have got a flat that holds 48 plants so far I have got 34 up. I have the flat in a 3 tier mini Green house in my home with a fluorescent 75watt hanging over them that is 400 lumans .. The plants are 4 inches from the light Is this close enough or should they be closer to the light? They are all doing great so far and leafing out nicely so far. Is a 75watt ok for a 3 tier green house? I'm new to seedlings and I appreciate all your help. I simply really love these plants and want to grow my own .. But I want them to grow right.

Comments (5)

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Pic of seed growing setup....

...as seedlings are uncovered and grow taller the light can be raised with chains.....close is good. I think flourescent are 40w each so 80w over the 5 containers.

Paul

This post was edited by paul_in_mn on Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 9:16

• Brenda53159
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So I take it that Im not all that far off from lighting??

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Outdoor greenhouse? So what do you plan to do about winter dormancy if you are starting them now? Gotta big fridge?

-Babka

This post was edited by Babka on Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 1:51

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

That was my question, Babka. Why are you growing these now? In Zone 5 you will be very fortunate indeed if these babies get big enough to survive winter. Most people sow seeds in Winter for placing into the garden in late May/early June. Then they are big enough to get through the Winter.

I have also done some Winter Sowing. It's hit or miss, so I only use left over seed. But I get small seedlings in summer, and I have over wintered a few successfully. It's tricky though.

Steve

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

what a brilliant system ... i especially like the clear cups held in the cell packs ... you can see how vigorous the roots are ...

i dont know what to tell you about the timing.. i will have to ponder that part ...

i used to keep the lights at about 2 inches from the plants ...

but what i can tell.. is how many bulbs per level???? if one or two ... how do the ones toward the edges.. get sufficient light levels??? ... especially the lower you go ... unless you are moving them all the time ...

i used to have 2 two light fixtures per level ... to spread the light intensity ...

regardless.. you will be able to tell.. becasue the plants will start leaning toward the light.. so shuffle them around .. eh ...

have you looked into the seedling links at the library ... never know where you will find a kernel of knowledge??? .. maybe even write to bob.. and give him a link to this post.. and ask him about your timing issue .... dont be shy.. worse he can do.. is ignore you.. and i highly doubt that he would ...

i dont think chris does seeds... so i dont know if he could help ...

i will continue to ponder the issue ... where are you.. more specifically ... and do you have a garage where you could carry them all ... to force the requisite dormancy??? .. lets say.. for the 50 odd days.. and then bring them back in.. and activate them again ...

babs.. we in z5 have a giant refrigerator.. it called a midwest winter.. lol ... but you gave me the idea ... so i am working off it ....

stop all fert pretty soon .. we want them to slow down.. and harden off ... and then figure out.. what the hell to do with them ...lol

ken

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm