Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostatakeover

Unforgettable Day at LOTG

Finally, a moment to sit and write about my amazing day at LOTG. My friend and I attended the MRHS Convention in Green Bay last week, and months ago I contacted the Millers to arrange a visit while there. Jeff met us with a big, welcoming smile, encouraging us to take our time and wander to our hearts' content. A few people wandered about, all were chatting and seemed to know Jeff personally. A bubbly, friendly couple introduced themselves ~ Jeff and Marie White, along with their young Dobe pup, Ollie. Loved that they actually met through their love of Hostas!

Now, about two years ago I spotted a picture of a Hosta that was unique in having incredibly attractive form and color coupled with a fantastic size. I have a new garden I'm opening up in the front and because it's destined to remain fairly small I have in mind exactly each and every Hosta I wish to showcase. This beauty has a spot reserved for it that I just couldn't envision being filled by any other Hosta. Jeff was the ONLY source listed for this beauty, but it was listed NFS (not for sale). Well, would it hurt to ask? But I thought I'd bring Jeff & Penny a couple of what I felt would be really unique Hostas to LOTG because they didn't list either one in their catalog. My insubstantial offerings would in no way be worth what I wanted ~ that would take $$ ~ but I was hoping I would at least please them with something unique to LOTG.

Ufta. First, Jeff gently, kindly informs me that one of my offerings isn't at all what I'd been told it was. The good news is that he did know its actual identity and that a tissue culture mix-up is why it's often sold under the name I bought it under. However, turns out it's not unique, after all.

Second, I seriously doubt my other Hosta was anything the Millers would ever have desired, but Jeff was so incredibly gracious in accepting my meager Hostas I'll probably never know for sure. All I can say is that he immediately told me that because the Hosta I desired was a gift from a friend, he couldn't sell it to me. I was feeling so embarrassed for even having asked, when he shocked me and said that instead, he would GIVE me a division! I can't even describe how amazed I was at his utter generosity! And he stated it all without hesitation and with such cheerfulness, smiling throughout. It was really mind-blowing.

As my friend and I walked around I saw Jeff White was digging and trussing up Hostas out of one garden, to be planted elsewhere. He told me that the leftovers would later get tossed, as they were clearing out the area to put in new seedlings to see how they fare. The ones getting tossed were ones that didn't meet expectations. All were beautiful to me, and HUGE, especially for just being a few years old. Wow. Shortly afterwards Jeff Miller approaches and tells me if I'd like I may choose any one of those beauties and it's mine to keep!!! OMG, another AWESOME gift from Jeff! PLUS I get to name it and just make sure I tell him what I've named it. Guys, there are simply no words to describe how deeply touched I was and still am by Jeff's ginormous generosity. The whole day was amazing, and my friend and I were still beaming the next day. We felt like we were walking on clouds. Jeff had also very kindly gifted my friend with a Hosta, and though she's more a garden enthusiast than a Hostaholic she was truly thrilled.

I know I've written a book here but I HAD to share all this. People need to know what an amazing person Jeff Miller is; what amazing people the Millers are. Another remarkable thing also occurred while there, but I'll have to save that for another post. More pictures to follow...

Comments (19)

• hostatakeover swMO
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

As soon as we pulled in we were struck by the enormity of the gardens. Hostas, Hostas everywhere, but the Millers also have a wide range of eclectic art scattered amongst the beds so that everywhere you look is a smorgasbord of visual impressions. Wren houses adorn the sunnier beds, their happy inhabitants filling the air with sweet melodies.

Here, an apparently vegetarian T-Rex stalks a hapless tree, whose branch he seems about to chomp.

• hostatakeover swMO
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looking like throwbacks to a long-lost era, you'll find 8-foot-tall daisies growing up among the Hostas. While an artist created these one-of-a-kind lovelies, Mr. Miller himself painted them! Amazing.

• hostacats
    9 years ago

Very nice story and experience. I love the big daisy.

michelle

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

So happy that you had a great day at LOTG, it is so nice when you have a day like that, and it is nearly ALWAYS about the spirit of the people.

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

What a wonderful day. Thanks for sharing.

I plan to make an order from LOTG in the next couple of weeks based on the very positive stories I've read recently on this forum. These are the kind of people I want to do business with!

• TheHostaCottage
    9 years ago

That sounds like a great day There's nothing like meeting hosta people.
    Let us know what you and your friend name your seedlings. I'd love to see pictures of them, too!
    Vanessa

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

Jeff met us with a big, welcoming smile,

==>> as i recall... there is nothing little about him... lol ...

what a great day ...

ken

• irawon
    9 years ago

That is such a heart-warming story. Wish I could shop there but I live in Canada. I've been to their website and was in awe of their lovely gardens and hostas.

Hope you show us pictures of your new hostas and where you planted them.

• beverlymnz4
    9 years ago

It sounds like a fun day. The Whites are very generous. Thanks for sharing.

• allnitro
    9 years ago

Yes it was a great day at LotG......Ole, Marie and I are always happy to make new hosta friends. The friends we have made because of hosta is priceless.

Looking forward to more pics from your visit and from gardens on the convention tour too.

• hostatakeover swMO
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You and Marie are such sweethearts! Your boy Ole was so bouncy (yet INCREDIBLY well behaved) only two of the pics I took of him weren't blurry. Here's the better of the two:

• hostatakeover swMO
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Enticing paths meander through fields of Hostas, and benches to rest on dot the trails. Tall trees grant shelter from the hot sun, keeping the pathways cool and inviting.

Wish I could post more than ONE photo per post. Also, I think I misspoke when I called those giant flowers "daisies." I do believe they're sunflowers! :)

• hostatakeover swMO
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Once in a while you come across a stunning Hosta potted up and sitting on the side of a pathway. When I inquired, Jeff explained these are some of his seedlings he's keeping.

Wow, what a looker!

• hostatakeover swMO
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a pic of the plants we came away from LOTG with. Mine is on the right, and you can see the seedling Jeff gave me stands out from all the others.

• hostatakeover swMO
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a photo of the beautiful seedling Jeff gifted me with. I wrote and told him I've named it h. Generous Jeff, which seems apt in light of everything.

• hostatakeover swMO
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Leaf closeup.

• allnitro
    9 years ago

very fitting name you've chose, I am sure Jeff will love it. Now that you got it out of that crowded bed it was in you can give it some room, as I am sure it will be a monster.

Good pic of the pooch, Ole was being good that day, really he has only been out visiting a couple times and that was a 4 hr drive each way and then on his leash most of the time at LotG. He is only 5 months old now. I have to add his registered name is Ole Giboshi Finnson ........"the Hosta Doberman" and is the hosta protector here.

• hostacats
    9 years ago

OMG I love the picture of the grounds all the hosta. Wish I could order or at least visit. Where is this place? I wont be able to order but can look.

Michelle

• hostatakeover swMO
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Michelle. Land of the Giants is located in Milton, WI, about 15 miles ne of Janesville. The area is perfect for Hostas and the Millers have taken their passion for these beauties and run with it.

Hostahosta, you won't regret ordering from them. Their plants are consistently big and healthy with great root systems.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists