Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mbug_zone6

Hosta and Day Lillies

mbug_gw
10 years ago

Someone had posted this topic previously. I have a couple of areas where both are doing well in zone 6. Anyone having success with DL as a companion plant?

Birchwood Parky's Gold

With Blue Cadet flowers from last year
{{gwi:1069882}}

View from opposite side today

Comments (29)

• User
    10 years ago

What a beautiful combination! Those daylilies bring the spot of bright color to the picture. Their fans compliment the gold hosta in the first two pics of Birchwood parky's Gold beautifully. Not taking attention away from Parky at all. Enhancing it.

My hosta in containers have ferns and liriope and aspidistra interspersed. The way fern is taking over, it is like groundcover not companion entirely. The daylilies are not in the shadier hosta territory. They are in full sun on the west (street) side of our house.

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Very nice complement to each other...

• ci_lantro
    10 years ago

I'm experimenting with the combination. Tried Happy Returns in one spot and it didn't get enough sun. I have Apricot Sparkles in another spot, on the sunny side of a hosta bed and it's doing great. That was a tough spot beneath a pine tree, next to pavers and out of reach of the sprinklers so I'm well satisfied to have solved that problem.

Last year, I planted a couple of daylilies (that were suggested to tolerate a bit more shade) on the sunnier side of some hosta bed...Razzamatz and Little Grapette. Jury is still out on those.

Great topic for a thread. I'm anxious for others to weigh in.

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

I use daylilies as companions but due to our late springs I have no photos as of yet. Big Smile is a winner for me. Fine foliage for a texture contrast, height, creamy yellow flowers to match creamy yellow hosta edges. I also have Happy Returns, Joan Senior, Charles Johnston, Bella Lugosi, Nile Crane and Dorothy Lambert. Some of these are not with hosta- just in a sunny, dry spot where I don't want to put a hosta.

Beverly

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

I love the combinations! In the first picture, it looks like the hosta gets more sun than the daylily. Which daylily is it? I have only one daylily in the hosta bed and its planted in the one sunny spot. It also happens to be one of the fulvas. I should try planting some in my new bed. Marg

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

I have daylilies amidst my hostas under the Black Walnut tree. I hated walnuts when I lived in the South because they were a mess and had to mow mostly dirt. Oh-if I had only known how well hostas grow under their dappled shade!

Daylillies also are not effected by the juglone from the walnut. However well the foliage grows, they don't flower as profusely as their full sun counterparts, but the blooms they have are spectacular. The everlasting foliage colors of hostas and Heuchera however make a stunning contrast of leaf shapes and mounds of foliage with the daylilies. I love it.

I have a daylily called Irish Eyes with the hostas. The flowers are a glowing pastel yellow with green eyes and are a wonderful color companion for the hostas. They are planted beside Sum & Substance and Helion, which in turn are surrounded by Blue Angel, Regal Splendor and Elegans with a green ventricosa in front.

Let's face it- I love anything that displaces WEEDS.

Theresa

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

mbug-I have to add a comment. Your pictures hit on a favorite color comination of mine personally. When I feel "chippy" my favorite combination is a yellow skirt and purple top, or vise-versa. Several of your photos show your purple/lavender hosta blooms mixed with yellow daylilies. And they do it beautifully - in my honest opinion.

Nice work.

Theresa

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Mbug- I love the beautiful combination of Parky's Gold with the yellow hosta. The yellow eye of the daylily echos the yellow of the hosta. I call it "echo gardening."

These are my Maleysian Monarchs. Too much sun in photo so it doesn't truly capture their deep purple with a large fluted yellow eye. I divided the daylily last year and planted it on both ends of the garden. Should be stunning next year. They "echo" the color of my astilbes also.

This post was edited by DelawareDonna on Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 9:07

• coll_123
    10 years ago

I have razzmatazz daylilies in a bed with my hostas but they aren't blooming yet- ill add pics when they do. Most of my DLs are in spots where I get more sun, like the side of the house.

I have to look up Irish Eyes- that sounds like something I would like.

Great pics, everyone!

• User
    10 years ago

When Hallson had some of their Asiatic lilies for sale, I got 4 of them. The blooms are just now opening, huge white blooms with rusty red stamens, and if I recall, they are fragrant. Those four I planted near the street in the day lily bed. And canna bed. It gets the most sun almost all day, especially from noon through to about 5pm, between the street and the circular driveway...the hottest spot in our city lot. I try to keep things well watered there.
    No problem today. It is 77 degrees at 11 am, and it is a rainy day, overcast but humid. The last two pictures show the bloom life size.They are at least 6 or 7 inches across. I think it is called Crystal Blanca....but keeping track of the names of species besides HOSTA is not a major concern--although I do like to know what I have growing.

• weekendweeder
    10 years ago

Pretty thread! mocc, you must have the best smelling garden.

I grow Stella D'Oro and Fragrant Returns with some of my more sun-tolerant hosta. FR blooms later and not as well bc it gets a bit more shade.

No good close ups, sorry:

• mbug_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the interesting comments. I've been experimenting with one other area. It gets heavy mid day and afternoon sun. I've had day lilies there for years....been trying various hosta and moving them if they started to burn. June has settled in nicely.....the second year in this spot. Much more yellow and brighter than my other two, but otherwise looks great. TOC was planted early spring and so far so good. So Sweet is out of the picture but growing very well. Hope it continues.

Close up of June

and one more from the back yard....tried to get all the Earth Angel flowers in the shot but didn't frame it very well.

• sm4657
    10 years ago

How much sun do the daylilies require to bloom?

I would like to try the Stella D Oro, but I have pretty much filtered shade except maybe on the edge of the garden I get 2-3 hours of morning sun.....Would a daylily bloom there?

• weekendweeder
    10 years ago

^not a day lily expert, but I suspect they'd need more than that or they'll bloom poorly. Mine get at least 4 hrs of afternoon sun.

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

The amount of sun is proportional to the amount of blooms. In other words, the more sun, the more blooms. But daylilies can be grown in any light condition and benefit from morning sun.

DD

• coll_123
    10 years ago

Yeah, you might get some blooms. Most of mine don't get much sun so I'm never gonna have a dense clump of blooms, but I still enjoy them.

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

I really love both daylilies and Lillium; just not as much as hostas. Unfortunately Lillium don't do well when juglone is present, so that rules out Theresa's Angel Garden. However the Morning Glory Garden receives 3-4 hours of morning sun (and contains Old Glory, Paul's Glory, Blaze of Glory, and Theresa's Glory (an open pollinated seedling named by Les in my honor), hence the name of the garden, and I have begun planting Lillium in it. They are excellent companions for hostas since they prefer shaded ankles and tower over the hostas increasing shade if needed. The colors, all over the spectrum, will satisfy everyone's color pallet.

Theresa

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I only have hosta with Asiatic lilies, but they bloom surprisingly well in limited sun.

Don B.

• User
    10 years ago

Nice, Don......I have 4 of the white Asiatic lilies, pictured above. Only, it says one of the pics is "unavailable" don't know why that happened.....strange. I like your lilies.

• arcy_gw
    10 years ago

My front porch bed has both. Party in the front (stella doras) business in the back!! Two different types of hosta both variegated green/yellow. ?Great expectations and golden tiara. All are doing more than well. For one of my "newer" beds I am reducing its load almost every year.

• coll_123
    10 years ago

My razzmatazz DLs started blooming so I thought I'd post a pic. I like the color next to Sea Gulf Stream.

I have most of my DLs along the house or clustered together in their own bed in the center of the yard. I've decided to remove half of them in that center bed and move some hostas in there. I need the space and well, I guess I'm choosing hosta over Daylily. Plus, I am sick of deadheading.

• Delphinium zone5
    10 years ago

Beautiful color combination Coll. I agree with you about the deadheading. I have alot of daylilies in my yard and have been thinking about getting rid of some of them. The deadheading is so time consuming! Gotta love how low maintenance hostas are.
    Terri

• mbug_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very Nice, Coll......Love the little slice of beauty in your first pic....would love to see a larger view of that area

• coll_123
    10 years ago

Thanks guys- mbug, I'll try to take a wider shot this week, when hopefully more are blooming.

Dead heading not only takes time, many times I accidentally knock off the buds that haven't bloomed in the process. Then, if I get lazy and don't dead head, those spent blooms often glue themselves onto the other buds, preventing them from opening. And did I mention the inky mess you get on your fingers from the darker ones? And not only that, the DLs that have in more sun along the house looked awful during this last week's extreme heat. The ones in more shade dont bloom as well but often look prettier. Yeah, I'm just not feeling the love for daylilies at the moment!

• ci_lantro
    10 years ago

Coll, I asked about your daylilies last year when you posted a pix...ordered and planted Razzmatazz & Red Razzmatazz (Wanted to make sure I got the right one!)...and can't wait for them to bloom! Have buds but no blooms yet.

I have nine new daylilies to plant. Most of them ordered from Gilbert Wild's sale. Ice Carnival is a white one that I read (somewhere) that supposed to bloom well in less than perfect lighting conditions so I'm going to try it with the hostas. Won't be getting any blooms from it this year though. I have a couple of others out there with the hostas on the sunny fringe that I'll give an evaluation of when they start to bloom. I tried both Stella & Happy Returns and neither were happy about it. At all. So know that both of those have to have a lot of sun.

I also tried some oriental lilies--planted them last fall and none of them survived the winter/ spring thaw. Haven't given up on them...planted some more this spring.

• marquest
    10 years ago

My previous house I did not have a choice if I wanted to grow flowers that were suppose to need sun. There was no where on the property that received more than 3 hrs of sun.

I discovered that 3hrs of sun is enough. Not only did many things including daylilies grow better and look better because the sun did not bleach the flower colors, they bloomed a little later and the daylily leaves looked good without all the sun burning them after the flowers were gone.

I use Hosta Lancifolia as a ground cover.

Asiatic Lily

Not a good pic but the yellow daylily looks good with gold standard.

{{gwi:254409}}

And Hosta blooms look good with daylily blooms

• coll_123
    10 years ago

Those are pretty, marquest. I like that melon-y color of the last one.

Well, here is the other thing that always seems to happen to ruin my enjoyment of my dayliliies- on the day you get the best bloom count, it rains heavily. Ugh

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Coll, you definitely have an artistic flair in the placement of your plants and companions...I derive much pleasure when admiring your gardens.
    I was going to add a comment about the bleeding of the darker lilies but you covered it. Ive stained clothing more than once. Would hate to see ANYTHING mar the beauty of your SGS.

I think it's a skill to be able to companion plant and still achieve a look where each plant shines on its own, without detracting from the other. You have that skill, not just a good eye. Kudos!

Marquest, I love the combination of orange and blue, or orange and purple...nice photos.

• hostanista
    10 years ago

Fortunei Aureomarginatas with daylily (I think) Love That Lipstick