Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostacats

guacamole or gold standard

hostacats
9 years ago

I have lots of these plants in my yard...what are they guacamole or gold standards??

Are they similar?

Does Pauls glory look like whats peeking upper left corner or can't tell??

Comments (15)

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm looking up images of guacamole and gold standard and to my untrained eye they look the same to me.......what do I look for?? Gosh.

• magdalo_310
    9 years ago

Pretty sure this is not Guacamole. But unsure if it is Gold Standard. Very nice-looking, nevertheless.

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    9 years ago

It's 'Gold Standard'.

This is a 'Guacamole' of mine, it sees a fair bit of direct sun.

Pieter

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Your pic is Gold Standard. This is a Guacamole leaf.

Don B.

• thisismelissa
    9 years ago

Guacamole leaves tend to curve downward and are a bit more shiny.

Your pic is Gold Standard.... flat & matte leaves.

Also, your GS looks like it's getting sun. In my garden, Guacamole, in sun, gets more faded looking variegation.

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

I have 15 Gold Standards,and if I don't know what one looks like,I'm really bad! That is Gold Standard,Guac is more shiny as Melissa said. Phil

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Guacamole gets larger than Gold Standard and the leaves are like dinner plates. In light shade, for me, the color stays looking just like a freshly cut avocado.

-Babka

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh my goodness, then all these plants are gold standard?? Crap I have many of these........I guess that's what happens when you are a newbie......well...at least like 5 years ago.

Guacamole I know is at the lake, so that means I don't have any here in town!! Drats!!

michelle

• User
    9 years ago

Sure wish I could retrieve the photo of the masses and masses of Gold Standard used to landscape an entire area of shade on a sloping hillside beneath tall up-limbed trees. That was a pretty sight. GS used as a ground cover in large areas is awesome.

Isn't it amazing how subject you want to find again suddenly disappear off the face of the Internet? Crikey.......:)

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Your wish is my command, Mocc. I don't know which thread it was, but I saved the pic. Think there's a 'Captain Kirk' in there somewhere?

Don B.

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh my Lord......that is an awesome bed of gold standards now isn't it?? Sheesh is that ever nice!! Ok I won't complain anymore....I just have plenty of them too....lots of small ones and some that I bought as big plants and divided to make more. That was before....

• User
    9 years ago

Don, I thank you sincerely for finding that picture. I wasn't the only one looking for it, you simply were within earshot or I squeaked loud enough.

Now THAT is a mass planting to get your attention!

I have a mere two pots of GS. It is a great hosta.
    Here is one of mine in mid June with green Mississippi Delta to its left.

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I should count how many of these I actually have then. Some look like they are disappearing and have maybe 2-3 small leaves on them but they look like that.

michelle

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

You're welcome, Mocc. Mississippi Delta, I'm glad I got that one, it's doing well here. Yours looks great.

Don B.

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yikes....I have lots of gold standard then...was counting, and I'm over 15 but most are tiny or small.

Pieter you are in Canada too, and I saw your trades list, I'm a newbie and all the ones you are looking for I either never heard of or I don't have. But some of your trades I don't have. What do you do for trading when you have a newbie like me??? Couldn't send you an email so this might be something old of yours on your page.

Michelle

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022