Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Fireworks and hosta gardens

User
9 years ago

I just happened to think about the common history these two things have. Hosta gardens, as Dougald brought to mind with his hosta garden, and fireworks share a Chinese ancestry.

I sat there in my garden tonight, the sound of fireworks coming to me from near and far, seldom the sight of the sparklies, but the sounds. Even in my almost totally walled garden the sounds came rolling like a wave. The most chilling to my mind were those pops in imitation of automatic weapons. What a reminder for returned service men.....so disturbing.

But beyond that, I thought about the way hostas for centuries before current age as they say, witnessed the first real fireworks displays, were in the gardens beneath Chinese skies, aerial displays brightening the night time as plantaginea opened its enormous blooms and filled the air with alluring come-hither, drawing the night time pollinators, the exotic moths, night birds, other insect life, to the aromatic display. I'm sure Mama plantaginea was awake on those long nights of late summer several thousands of years ago..

Now here the hosta are, another millennia, and still admired by man. We do her bidding by propagation, by devotion to her attributes. Yes, hosta species are carving their names on the evolutionary survivors list.

Happy Independence Day! May fireworks light up the night sky for hostas forever. At least ONCE a year. :)

Comments (7)