Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

'Alligator Shoes'

don_in_colorado
10 years ago

A wonderful hosta, I can't wait for mine to get a few more seasons larger. I got a division from a mature plant; I guess that's a good start. I know some forum members have some real beauties in their gardens. Show us, please!

Thanks,
Don B.

Comments (11)

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, I almost forgot...Does having 'Montana Aureomarginata' DNA make it an early riser? Just curious. Thanks for any background info on this variety.

Don B.

• Gesila
    10 years ago

I forgot I had Alligator Shoes since it is a spot that I don't visit much. I got mine at our local hosta society auction last June. I don't think we planted it until late fall.

Gesila

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

In my top 5. This is a Herb Benedict plant that is a Dorothy Benedict x montana cross. Great color, great leaf shape and upright plant form. Merle has a spectacular one. Mine is getting there.

Steve

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

H. 'Alligator Shoes' is on Don Rawson's list of early emerging hosta.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Flower-Frenzy. I don't know how I do it, but I sometimes forget Don R. has all those wonderful lists.

Don B.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Don,

I don't find AS to be early at all. It doesn't have montana A genes. It's DB x montana (the species).

from the registry:
    'Alligator Shoes' R. Benedict & H. Hatfield (ONI) AHS, K. Walek (R) 2009

Plant: 52 in. (132 cm) diameter, 24 in. (61 cm) high; mound-like; .
    Leaf: 11 in. (27 cm) long, 5 in. (13 cm) wide; 13 pairs of veins; gray-green streaked dark green; creamy yellow to white margin; slightly rippled; glaucous bloom on top; dull underneath; deeply corrugated; ovate; rounded base;
    Scape: 30 in. (76 cm) long;
    Flower: translucent edges; Stoutsville, OH - July 1 to July 30;
    Seed: sets viable seed;green seed pod;
    Clump History: the original seedling; Stoutsville, OH;
    [H. âÂÂDorothy Benedictâ àH. montana]

Steve

• idiothe
    10 years ago

This is one of those hostas that really needs some maturity to show off why it is a real winner. Its adolescent look is fine, but nothing special. With maturity, the leaves can be much larger and they develop the pebbly surface that gave it its name.

I like it a lot. I usually stop and point it out early in my garden tours. Some people are wowed - and other people seem to wonder why I'm mentioning it. I do think it presents itself better in the shade than in the sun. The nice gray-over-green looks great in shade, but can just look kind of pale when the sun is on it...

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

I certainly agree with idiothe that really mature hostas could be looking different and much more beautiful than hostas which are a few years old. I visited a small local hosta nursery a week ago which had several old clumps. I was surprised how much more beautiful and much larger a 'Paradigm' and a 'Sum it up' looked, bigger leaves and a lot more puckering. 'Sum it Up' actually had cupped leaves and was corrugated a lot, so I could barely see a similarity to my own 'Sum it Up'. Bernd

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

Steve, if that's your plant it's far surpassed mine. I love it anyway. It's one of the few that have remained in the same spot. The other plants in the corner, transition raised planter come and go. Alligator Shoes has stayed. It's in a perfect amount of shade to keep the color as long as possible and see it every time I walk by .

• idiothe
    10 years ago

mctavish - that really shows the neat alligator skin character even though it isn't a huge plant... really nice!

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great plants, you guys...Thanks for the info, Steve.

Don B.