Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostacats

riverbend gardens and nursery

hostacats
9 years ago

OK this is an online place I found that ships hostas. They have a lot of them and at reasonable prices too. One thing caught my eye though and that is they offer 50 hostas for $5. I don't think you have to buy 50 of them though. But what they are is one year plants OR the plants have lost their tags.
Hmmmmm not a good idea me thinks if I want to get into named hostas!! Most of them tend to be on the smaller side and some mediums.
Yay or nay??? I'm not too found of small ones yet, but some from 13"-23".........and I found MANY I don't have. Just to be guaranteed that hosta or not is what worries me and the fact that I don't think one year hostas are very big. This is probably where that PLUG thing comes in mind.

michelle

Comments (12)

• TheHostaCottage
    9 years ago

Riverbend runs a good business and are very knowledgeable. You do not have to buy 50 hostas. They offer 50 different varieties with a price tag of $5. Many of their $5 plants are common plants such as Birchwood Parky's Gold, Diamond Tiara, Ground Sulphur, Lancifolia, undulata, Twist of Lime, etc. Most of these plants aren't even available through tissue culture any more so chances are you are getting a division of their mature plants, not plugs. You can always call and ask Shirley how mature the plants on your list are. She is very nice.

Also, the plants that have lost their tags for $5 would likely be purchased in person at their nursery since they have no names and can't be put on a list for you to order online.

They also offer almost 1000 more varieties at $25 or less.

If you are looking for mature plants, you should expect to pay a bit more than $5. Are you looking to simply add numbers to your collection because you don't have it or because you really like it and it will be a great specimen in your garden? I have only been doing this for 6 years and after the first couple years have gotten very selective in which hostas I buy. It's nice to have tried and true varieties but also nice to have some special hostas.

Vanessa

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hippie the hostas you mentioned as common plants I don't even have those. The ones I have are probably even more common than those cuz the list I wrote down of all the $5 ones was pretty long for me. I didn't find too many I already had.
    I am just wanting hostas I don't have. I already have over 250 but they are LOTS of duplicates. As I get more and run out of room I can always give the duplicates away if I want. That's the problem with what I did in beginning I would buy bigger wlamart ones and split them to make more or bought those grab bags of tiny roots. Now yes it looks ok but want special ones too now.
    I think I will check them out some more, and yes I noticed that their prices are actually very good on pretty much all their hostas.

michelle

Thanks for the info was much appreciated

• frogged
    9 years ago

I will second a recommendation for this nursery. I go every summer and have always come home happy with great plants that have done well for me. I love a place that will let you walk around by your self and just stare at the plants. Then walk around in circles while you pick out your babies to buy. They are very knowledgeable and nice to buy from. (im not so easy to impress :) )

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks frogged, its good to know that this is a good place to buy. I have been looking at the list I wrote down but haven't made any decisions yet.

michelle

• mikgag Z5b NS Canada
    9 years ago

I placed an order from there this year. Awesome to deal with and great plants. Will be placing another order next year.

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks mikgag.....good to know that you guys had great experiences, and to think they really aren't that expensive compared to others.

Too bad I didn't find this site before. But I can say I don't have any complaints about blooms Canada either.

Michelle

• maow
    9 years ago

My first daylilies and hosta were from Shirley of Riverbend, she is lovely and very knowledgeable. I got my Venus, June and Sweetie from her and they are all great growers. My beautiful edging hosta are also my favorites. This year I got a Moonlight, Eye declare, On stage, Niagara Falls, Queen of the seas, Sagae, Brother Stephan, English Sunrise, Sky dancer and Blue shadows, they all had pretty big roots . Jack from the Potting Shed is akso fabulous with big plants, and vwry reasonable prices.

• maow
    9 years ago

My first daylilies and hosta were from Shirley of Riverbend, she is lovely and very knowledgeable. I got my Venus, June and Sweetie from her and they are all great growers. My beautiful edging hosta are also my favorites. This year I got a Moonlight, Eye declare, On stage, Niagara Falls, Queen of the seas, Sagae, Brother Stephan, English Sunrise, Sky dancer and Blue shadows, they all had pretty big roots . Jack from the Potting Shed is also fabulous with big plants, and very reasonable prices.

• Kate1970
    9 years ago

Apparently there are two Riverbends. :) Allthough I used to live in Ontario, my initial posting was about Riverbend in Northern Virginia where I currently live. :) Oops!

This post was edited by Kate1970 on Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 8:17

• TheHostaCottage
    9 years ago

Kate, I think we may be talking about a different place. Ours is a retail hosta nursery in Canada.
    Vanessa

• Kate1970
    9 years ago

Yes I was editing my post and hoped not to get caught. lol

• TheHostaCottage
    9 years ago

LOL!