Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The First Dedicated Mini and Small Bed Here

very nice

o

• Posted by irawon Ottawa ON 5b (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 30, 12 at 3:39

Lovely mini/small bed. Praying Hands makes a good statement at the back of your bed and the boots are a cute touch.

o

That's a lovely mini bed HH, as are the Hosta behind it.
Cher

o

very nice..

o

Very pretty, love the rock border. It frames your minis beautifully.

o

Very pretty!
I too like the Praying Hands effect. Did you cut the bottom out of the wash tub for drainage or drill holes?

Deb

o

Ah, Dgregory, I'm glad you made that observation, I'd missed the tub entirely. I've become fond of drilling holes in the sides of pots too. Don't have enough feet to keep my pots all off the ground. And wood is an invitation to termites to come to dinner.

I guess old pieces of PVC pipe might elevate pots enough, huh...

o

I also love the manner in which you've displayed your Praying Hands! Very nice garden!

o

I love this! Gives me inspiration for my new round mini bed! I even have the old boots, planted with sedums just like those.

Sandy

o

And I thought I was running out of space. Well - you have inspired me to find a wee slice where I can install all manner of minis. I even have old boots (that survived a year treking about in Australia on my son's feet) and a washtub (that was actually used for laundry back in the day at our cottage). Now my main hang-up is probably that the minis cost as much as the BIG ones.
How much sun/shade does that location get?
Jan

o

My wife designed this bed and boots to fill in the infamous 'Horseshoe Bed' (the first bed she let me design and do) around and behind this bed. I did, however, do the 'wheelbarrow mule' duties on the rocks ;-), and drilled the drainage holes in the 'ol bucket from a garage or barn sale.

And, as always, I'm also the hose dragger and fertilizer dude.

hh

o

I hope to have my mini bed ready for next spring planting. It is shaded by a nice sized Lilac giving 3/4 of a day of dappled shade, and then mid afternoon on by towering trees far to the west. Your mini-garden is a true inspiration HH. Nicely done - as usual.

I'm going to sneak out and take a pic.

Les

o

I think I need to dedicate some space to a mini garden. I have just a few scattered around right now.

Any tips on getting minis started? The few I have purchased seem to have such tiny root systems. I feel they are lost when I put them in the garden. I do have one that has grown well: Lakeside Down Sized which is one year old.

o

I'm having a problem here. This posting thread has dropped offa the first, main page.

I'm busy, so I'm just getting around to answering it.

So, a long standing q I have about this forum, should one take the time to scan back and add an answer or addition to this thread and thereby 'bump' some old dead thread back to the top, or, start a new thread with a new subject line?

In any event, earlier this evening another thread caused me to go out and git a fresh shot of an plant that was currently being discussed.

Now I'll present this pic of another thread regarding 'The First Dedicated Mini/Small Hosta Bed' here, from a 180 degree opposite view:

minismall bed2012-07-27_12-47-05_284

fwiw and comments please:

hh

o

HH, could you let me know the age and size of your Praying Hands? From what I've read, the height maxes out at 14-16" and the width at 18" Would that be at ground level or at the fullest point?

o

lavender,

I've seen PH in more mature gardens (better zonality, soil, and water, at 24x24", at crown height.

jealous,

hh

o

This bed from the opposite end view:
first mini bed looking nort2012-08-05_20-26-21_140

hh

o

Thanks HH, 24" in height would be awesome. Your collection amazes me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here