Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrishow

Dublinbay,Star Trek Hostas

chris-e
9 years ago

The other thread got so long, I decided to answer you here. YES! Dark Star is fine in a Star Trek Garden. I planted one a few years ago, supposedly for my husband, but I gave me a chance to buy more hostas!

If you really want to go crazy, there is also Enterprise, First Mate, Lunar Orbit, Little Aurora, Moongate Flying Saucer, Starboard Light, Stardust, Starship, Planet X.

Some Star Trek purists might disagree, but I got anything available at the time that had to do with space. There are probably more now.

chris

Comments (19)

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

Would love to see pics! Capt Kirk is on my wish list. Will have to check these other ones out. Being a Star Wars geek and not a star trek fan at all, my husband thinks it is funny to call me a trekkie. The Dark Star was an important ship in Star Wars, will spare you the nerdtales about it. So does this mean they have a Star Wars series of Hostas?! Or is dark star a trekkie thing also?

I just scanned the posts, where is the original long post you are reffering to? Would love to browse it.

• jimr66
    9 years ago

I have "Andorian" (Blue skinned aliens in original series)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Chris--thank you for starting this thread. For those who were wondering, the previous thread was the one on "figurines," but only a couple posts were on Star Trek/Star Wars type stuff. The rest of the long thread was on other matters.

I am not a big "space" fan, but both my kids are so I am certainly familiar with aspects of the Star Trek vs Star Wars rivalry. My son says some of us (including me) are confusing the "Dark Star" with the "Death Star," the later being the one that was blown up at the end of Star Wars.

"Dark Star," on the other hand, is a 1974 movie--obscure enough that even my space-nut son had not heard of it. It has nothing to do with either Star Trek or Star Wars. The hosta I have is Dark Star--but I have to be very careful since even when I'm thinking about it, I still tend to type "Death" rather than "Dark."

Here is some info on the movie "Dark Star."

Dark Star--1974 John Carpenter space comedy
    6.6 rating
    Story:
    Low-budget story of four astronauts in deep space, whose mission is to destroy unstable planets in star systems which are to be colonised. The late Commander Powell is stored in deep freeze, where he is still able to offer advice. As their mission nears completion, they must cope with a runaway alien which resembles a beach-ball, faulty computer systems, and a "smart bomb" who thinks it is God.

Chris, thanks also for the list of "space" hostas. I'm keeping it on file so that if I decide to expand that corner garden any, I can search for some good hosta. Unfortunately, that corner space is not very large, so only minimal expansion is possible--unless I want to take out the driveway to the garage, that is.

My "space" hosta are still rather small, but maybe I can take some pics after I have breakfast. I'll post them here.

For the record, I now declare that my "space" hosta garden is all-inclusive--all sci-fi hosta are welcome, regardless of movie of origin! LOL

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Dark Star 1974 movie

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

About to show just how deep my inner nerd goes. The Dark Star is an important ship in the Exodus series of Star Wars. The Death Star is indeed the one featured in the Movies.

http://starwars-exodus.wikia.com/wiki/Exodus_Timeline

-Jennifer

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

Forgot to include this one on The Dark Star

http://starwars-exodus.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Star

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

My whole household is full of trekkies, LOL. We are all Sci-Fi nuts, I guess. Star Wars is good, too, though, just not the fav. HOWEVER, I'd say our very fav is probably Stargate, the Atlantis series being the all-time best. I've already hooked my 10 and 12 year old boys on both Stargate and Star Trek in the past year or so. My 12 year old saves up his money for Star Trek diecast models off of ebay. The brainwashing is complete, LOL!

That said, I wish there were more Stargate hostas, I would totally do a theme garden around that series. I have Atlantis, of course, but the actual Stargate hosta is just ugly to me. I look at it periodically, thinking "I should really get that, it can't be as bad as I remember", then I pull it up and immediately dismiss the possibility. Guess I'll stick with Atlantis, she is a beauty!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Why, thank you, bungalow. I was not aware Dark Star was part of the Exodus series. But now that you have confessed your "inner nerd," you know we will hold you responsible for all future sci-fi references made on this forum--right? LOL

Here are some promised pictures. These hosta were planted almost exactly a year ago, and Capt. Kirk was getting plenty of sun back then. I just realized that the overhanging tree branch took a growing spurt and now shadows Capt Kirk almost completely. Time to get the pruners out so the good captain can flourish!

This "space" corner is, in fact, a small corner between the house and the driveway. It was the only place left on the property for planting more hosta, but these three have pretty much filled up the space. (Plus I have to leave a bit of room for that Vulcan hand signal that my sci-fi son is supposed to get me for Xmas.)

My "space" corner: Capt. Kirk in front, Dark Star in left back, Vulcan in right back.

Capt. Kirk close-up--he needs more sun, but looks to be a fine-looking hosta.

Vulcan close-up--this one is the most photogenic, I do believe.

Dark Star close-up--I really like the dark color outlined in white. Not as fast a grower as the other two, but doing fine otherwise.

Hope you enjoyed my space trio!

Kate

• unbiddenn
    9 years ago

And here, I thought I was being nerdy with Rocky Horror daylilies.
    HUGE thumbs up!

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

Funnthsun- so lucky you were able to get your kids into those movies. I've got 4 girls and not a single one of them shares my love for Star Wars, or sci-fi. My only hope is with my son, who is 6 months old. Stargate is good, will have to look up that hosta.

Dublin - Very nice space corner! With all the types of hostas I never thought about a space theme. Being so new to gardening and hostas, capt kirk was the only sci-fi one I had heard of so far. I'm working on a patio that will be under a pretty magnolia tree. Was going to line the retaining wall with a bed of hostas. A space, or more specifically a Star Wars theme would be perfect. Again, can't help the nerd coming out, one of the things on my wish list is a stormtrooper adirondack chair. I've been dropping hints and photos everywhere for my husband. hopefully when the patio is finished, or by b-day time, he will have picked up on the hints and have built it.

• leaflover76
    9 years ago

my Captain Kirk

my Dark Star

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Love that chair, bungalow. I think a Star Wars theme for your "corner" would be terrific.

Make sure we get pictures if you do that. : )

Kate

• LRB3
    9 years ago

Hey, if you're doing a Star Trek theme, don't forget about Andorian...

• User
    9 years ago

Another space another time, but Stargate is a space themed hosta also. It is a fragrant streaker. I have two of them now, must remove a green eye from the older plant, but it is still going good. Too bad they say it is sterile and no seeds. Perhaps the pollen...but it has yet to bloom this year.

9 years ago

delayed duplicate post--wierd

This post was edited by funnthsun on Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 15:04

• chris-e
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am having a real problem getting Photobucket to cooperate right now, but I will get as many as my patience will allow. : )
    These pics are two years old, I haven't taken any for the last two years because I had surgeries both summers and couldn't get around too well.

Here is Dark Star

I'm sorry, it is loading so slowly that it is driving my crazy and it is getting late. I will try to upload all of the Star Trek pictures again and put them here, probably Sunday.

chris

• chris-e
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Leaflover76, Your plants are beautiful!

chris

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

What nice looking Dark Star pics. I showed them to my DS so that it knows what to shoot for!

Thank you everyone for the other suggestions.

Chris--looking forward to seeing your Star Trek pics--but please don't risk your sanity--OK? LOL

Kate

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Be careful, Admiral Ackbar says...

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 1:26

9 years ago

You know, I was just thinking, you could totally put Android in this theme garden as well.

Sponsored
VanderPoel Architecture
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Arlington's Award-Winning Sustainable Architecture Firm