Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Looks Like Rainforest Sunrise...

Posted by westy1941 z5 NO IL (cdwestg@att.net) on
Fri, Jul 6, 12 at 23:55

...but has fewer veins? Does vein count matter when ID'ing? I mean, do veins increase with age or does a hosta always keep the same number of veins no matter the age. (?) I'm labeling over 350 hosta this summer and so many have lost the original markers or have been raked up by the maintenance people (who are not allowed in the garden but come in anyway). So I have a list I work from because I've written down almost everything I've purchased by year - but I think I missed a few. Can anyone help? Or do I have two of them? (One with more veins than the other and is a little larger). And yes I can post a picture when I get them resized.

Westy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Looks Like Rainforest Sunrise...

Why are you resizing? Give us the full shot through Photobucket. It's easier to ID them with big pics.

BTW, young immature plants may have different vein counts than full growed up ones.

Steve

o

For some reason, I'm having trouble posting pics. Gotta go re-read all the instructions. I haven't tried posting in over 3 years and I think something has changed since then on GW re pix. I'm going to go out and take pix of the mess the drought has made of this garden soon and I will take pix of these two also. Anyway, your answer helps - that's all I needed to know, really. I never knew the veins increase as they age. Makes sense, though. Thank you.

Westy

o

• Posted by babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 7, 12 at 1:13

Westy- Get a Photobucket account. It is free and they do the re-sizing for you. Just paste the HTML code in the text of your message. When you do a "preview", if you can see it then so will we.

-Babka

o

No, vein counts don't really matter when IDing unless the plant in question has a lot more veins than it is supposed to. Young plants will always have less.

o

Babka - I have a photobucket account. I don't think the problem was with photobucket - my son is a computer tecchie and said it's something else that has nothing to do with photobucket. He's coming up from the city to help me soon. As soon as it's no longer 115 heat index, I'm going out to take a photo of it. And a lot of other things.

Westy

o

Westy, GWeb has recently changed the rules or the method to use uploading a picture. If you see the line "image file to upload" it is new. You can do it from your computer, but only ONE PICTURE, and once you put it into preview, it will disappear if you try to edit what you wrote. So don't look back, put the picture in at the last moment. It will only appear at the end of your post anyway.

Here is a picture that I'll choose from my computer, and attach here, a Rainforest Sunrise in a container.

o
Depending on how much substance yours has'''

Dick Ward

o

Brother Stefan

o

OMG that's it! I have Dick Ward on my list of purchases and couldn't find it. Thank you! I might even have Brother Stefan, which I thought died. I've lost at least half of the ID's over the past few years and when I retired, decided to do this project.

Thank you,
Westy

o

Ok so are you saying the 'old' method of posting doesn't work anymore? Or are they just giving us another choice? I'm trying to find their 'new' instructions.

Westsy

o

They just gave us an option besides creating a Photobucket or a Flickr account. With the external photo album sites, if you close it down or move the photo, it created a big blank hole in the archives of GWeb. I'm thinking, but haven't asked anyone to verify, that if you upload from your computer one photo directly to the GWeb Message block, that the photo will remain there as long as GWeb has an archive.

The fly in the ointment is, you can only upload one photo per post, do it, post it, and then go back and make a second posting with a second photo.

I'm finding it easy to upload from my computer directly here. I know I said it was not convenient, but that was before I began TAGGING my photos (Windows 7) and the most photos of all are the HOSTA PHOTOS. If I need to find a Rainforest Sunrise, I enter the name in the search box and tell it which files (Photos 2012) and it shows the pictures for me to choose from. I do not have to scan the almost 500 pictures I'm shooting of hosta each month, I can just enter the term which has been added as a TAG, and wow, it works like a charm.

So very pleased that you found your Dick Ward, and maybe a Brother Stefan too. I wasn't sure, but the markings if not the size and texture, were quite similar to RFSunrise.

Good show!!! Isn't Dick Ward beautiful? It is so DURABLE!

o

pix 'how to' at link ...

frankly.. RFS looks NOTHING.. in any sense like DW ...

crimminey.. you got lucky .. lol ..

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: use the HTML code ... paste it where you type ..

o

Not at home so I can't run out and take a picture but I used to have RFS.right in front of Paradigm and I thought RFS looked like a mini version of it. (I've since moved it to a spot where it would be more visible).

Just an aside, I'm at Roaring River State Park by Cassville (MO) and the rain is coming down in sheets! Hope it's doing the same at home!

Sandy

o

Ken, indeed luck is what I've got, sure not experience. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here