Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

H. 'Mister Watson'

don_in_colorado
10 years ago

I love this guy! He looks nicer and more gold/less chartreuse every week...Very beautiful and underrated hosta, in my opinion.

Don B.

Comments (11)

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Same plant, last summer. See why I'm so happy? ; )

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 1:48

• Gesila
    10 years ago

Mister Watson is one of my favorites Don. I still remember the first time I saw it, a bright yellow hosta that stood from 100 yards away! It's not one I hear about very often either.

Mine get's full sun and is the brightest hosta in the garden every July. It has great substance and very sun tolerant.

It's a sport of King Tut which is a Tokudama hybrid. It's been a steady grower, not too fast, not real, real slow! It fits perfect in the spot I have it in.

Here's mine:

Gesila

• timhensley
    10 years ago

I love gold hostas. This is one I've heard very little about. Thanks for sharing.

• WILDernessWen
    10 years ago

I just dug up Mr. Watson from the strangulation garden (vinca) this season. I was looking for a good gold to pair with June in a sunny area. I have an August Moon I was considering, but if MW can handle sun I'd like to plant him next to a "hot babe.". What do you think?

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

I am reviewing my 3 fake (so I think) 'Paul's Glory' because they look like h.'Gold Standard', and here Mr.Watson looks similar to that Paul hosta. I think that there are a lot of similarly looking medium yellow hostas with green (or blue-green) borders. Bernd

• Gesila
    10 years ago

Go for it WW, put Mr. Watson in there with June. I think it will be a great combination! Here's how my Mr. Watson survived it's first summer in the sun:

White centers, but no burned edges.

Gesila

• WILDernessWen
    10 years ago

Thanks Gesila, I'm going for it. MW was on his last breath anyway. It sounds like a win win situation. I'm on vaca next week hoping the temp. drops a bit so I can plant him then. Going to go visit Mr. Cory's too. I can't wait. Again, thanks WW

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Have you guys found that when a hosta is sited in a lot of sun, it can fry pretty bad the first season, but after that first season, they can take direct sun noticably better? Hosta in general, not specifically 'Mister Watson'.

Don B.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

So, what I'm seeing here is what I hope my little RUNT will grow up to be?
    Oh goody! I can't wait. It is showing progress in terms of emerging green margin on more leaves.

Goes to show, once again, how different some juvenile hosta look....I would never imagine it would look like the beautiful Mister Watsons I see on this post. I'm so glad I picked him up for a closer look!

• idiothe
    10 years ago

Don - that is absolutely true... except when its not.

Most/all hostas can adjust to a change in light... more sun, they do tend to burn up the first year, then second year adjust.

One of the adjustmentsthe next year is often smaller leaves - the plant just doesn't need as big a leaf to support its growth with the increase light - and a smaller leaf loses less.

You'll see the reverse if you move one into deeper shade... larger leaves and often darker colors - meaning more chlorophyll for making more food with less light...

My Mr. Watson has gotten quite large in a lot of midday sun...

But some plants are just never going to be able to handle sun. I have one particular blue one that I know will burn up by August... but I want fast growth, so I sacrifice its looks for the growth...

• WILDernessWen
    10 years ago

Josephine, That's about the size of my Mr. Watson after 3 yrs. poor thing just couldn't handle root competition. Hoping he grows into a beauty like the pics above.

Idiothe, thank you for the info. WW