Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thank you Guacamole Don for................

Posted by DonnaDelaware 7A (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 23:59

finally identifying the blue hosta on the right in this photo as 'H' sieboldiana. It was in your top 10 photos. It was also one of the first hostas I planted in my garden.

Thanks again. The mystery has been solved.

photo IMG_1674_zpsfc2cf79f.jpg

DD

P.S. As a bonus, you also identified my Fortunei aureomarginata.

This post was edited by DonnaDelaware on Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 0:45

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thank you Guacamole Don for................

Well, you're very welcome, Donna. At least, that's what the tag read for my blue, so... Glad to help : )

Don B.

o

'H' sieboldiana

==>>> that is a descriptive for a 'group' of hosta.. that are large and blue with s. heritage ... of which all blue plants have .....

it does not an ID a given a single plant ... it just says it belongs to that group ...

but it is really hard.. to ID a big blue hosta... as they tend to all look alike ..

not to mention ... that they sold elegans from seed under the cultivar name for decades.. before they realized they did not come true from seed ...

was this plant recently bought????

there much have been a previous post which i missed .. or i would not have interfered with dons accolades ...

ken

ps: H. sieboldiana.. as written thus.. would make it a species.. and i THINK ... schmid reduced such from species status ... but you can research that at the link ... a pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: link is a pdf ... and do note.. there is apart 2 ... if you dont fall asleep reading part one... lol ...

o

Is this for Donna's benefit or mine, Ken? I'm familiar with the history of this plant. If Donna got an I.D. to her satisfaction, knowing how so many big blue varieties are nearly identical, so what?

Crikey, man!

Don B.

o

The hosta labeled on Page 33 as 'H' Sieboldiana looks exactly like mine and that is good enough for me.

DD

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here