Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RIP Mr. Kuk

Posted by hostahillbilly Zone 4 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 17, 12 at 0:01

I was notified that one of our Hosta Long-Time greats, Mr. Bob Kuk, is now passed away.

This post is to encourage a thread to honor another one of our esteemed fallen.

This will be a very difficult task, as so many of his Hosta are introductions, but there ARE very many introductions of his, so perhaps we can dedicate a thread, here, to this important person in Hosta History?

Punky2012-07-11_13-01-11_49

my first, and introductory, honorary submission:

hh

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RIP Mr. Kuk

A couple of Kuk hostas-
L to R, T to B;
Margin of Error, Mike Shadrack
Queen Josephine, Prarie Fire
Simply Sharon, Unforgettable
Kuk Hostas

Paul

o

JOseph 6-12-11 (89)

Emerald Necklace 6-13-12 (268)

o

Oh my!! That Emerald Necklace is perfect, Myrle. Love it.
I have two of his, that I know of. One is Queen Josephine and Unforgettable. I've very fond of them both.

Queen Josephine on the right:
Hosta12June360

And Unforgettable is a pretty and large hosta.
Hosta12July027

Where can I go to find all of Mr. Kuk's introductions?

o

Where can I go to find all of Mr. Kuk's introductions?

First of all, you can go to the Hosta Registry and do a search by using the Hybridizer's name. This will list all of the cultivars which were registered under Bob Kuk's name. There are 17 introductions listed, as of November 2011.

Secondly, you can look up "Bob Kuk" and "Kuk's Forest Nursery" in the index of The Hostapedia (page 1065) to see all the cultivars that are referenced. These will include both registered and non-registered plants.

Thirdly, you can go to the website of Kuk's Forest Nursery which is posted here, click on "Plant Lists", and then click on "Collections" to view the Kuk's Forest Nursery introductions.

Fourthly, you can go to the MyHostas Database, select "Originator" in the search field, enter "Kuk" and click "Search". This will list all of the Kuk hostas entered into the MyHostas Database.

Lastly, you can go to the Lemke Database, click on "Intros", then look up "Kuk" under the "jkl" index.

o

Moccasin, there is a list of Mr. Kuk's intros at his website, offered for sale as a collection (or individually). Don't know if that's all of them but it's a start.

Go to the website linked below, click on 'Plant Lists' at the top of the screen and then click on 'Collections'.

I had just dropped an order in the mail on Tuesday to Mr. Kuk's nursery. Obviously, I don't know what's going to happen with that order.

Even with being pretty new to hostadom, I can see that Bob Kuk was one of the giants in the biz. His presence is going to be sorely missed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kuk's Forest

o

Don, and Ci, thank you for the information. It is pretty close to a definitive list of authorities for such matters.

Never heard of the Lemke Database, so adding another one to my repertoire. I've browsed through the Hostapedia so many times, but never really used it other than looking up individual plants. Glad this readily available source, on a handy shelf in my study, also can serve this purpose.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here