Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

Pics Of Your Fragrant Hosta...

don_in_colorado
10 years ago

...Got fragrants? Got pics? Let's see some of yours...I'll start off with my 'Stained Glass'. Post pics of your fragrant hostas, or just enjoy the photos!

Cheers!
Don B.

Comments (37)

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Again, 'Stained Glass' close-up.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Invincible'.

Don B.

• leaflover76
    10 years ago

Fragrant Bouquet

Guacamole

Plantaginea (at the base of a Maple Tree!)

So Sweet

Summer Fragrance

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

I finally have some...huge grin here :-)
    "Guacamole Don"

10 years ago

So Sweet

10 years ago

Plantaginea...my smallest, but the first to show flowerscape!

10 years ago

Sweet Bo Peep, a sport of Invincible. Still young.

10 years ago

Ginsu Knife..thought I'd get no blooms on this new one...another one still in pot...but discovered minutes ago a fat flower scape an inch high! Lucky me! :-).

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Leaflover, does your Fragrant Bouquet have any shine to leaves? It seems off to me - leaf shape and gloss of leaf . For comparison, here's mine - top left is early color (mid-June); leaf pic is late (mid-August); bottom left is July; and bottom right is mid-September.

Paul

10 years ago

Kifukurin Otome Ki.....although not listed as fragrant it has been blooming for weeks now, and for the past three days (hot and humid) the scent is definitely there....so, why not include it I thought. :-) just because..here's a couple of divisions doing well.

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

L to R, T to B - Adorable (Royal Standard sport), Blue Flame (Fragrant Blue sport), Emily Dickenson (cross with plantaginea), Quesadilla (Guacamole sport)

Paul

10 years ago

Paul, when I see your collage, I am reminded I want to learn to do that...such a nice way to show pics....and I love the fact that I can expand them in a jiffy.
    It was the beautiful blue collage you posted that made me want to learn.

Quesadilla is lovely...it just made it to my want list! Thank you!
    Beautiful specimens, as always. :-)
    Jo

10 years ago

Mornin' Guacamole Don! :-)
    The water on Guacamole makes it look like it groomed for its pic! Beautiful....gives it another look when I see mine...I like! Lol

I'm really loving fragrance from hosta....can't believe what I've missed out on...have to acknowledge another big THANK YOU to you and Moccasin Landing (Barbara). MANY THANKS!!!

Jo

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Good day fragrant hosta lovers. Enjoying your beautiful photos. Here's my new kid on the block - 'Frozen Margarita.'

• User
    10 years ago

Jo, very pleased you are captured by the fragrant ones. It seems to me, the more people want them, the more likely you are to find them available.

Paul, I've wanted a Quesadilla for a while now...hard to find it. Supposed to get one from Van Wade this fall when it is grown out a bit more. Where did you get yours? It is lovely.

I'm uploading a triple picture, three fragrant hosta named for three friends. There is Emily Dickinson, her brother and a lawyer Austin Dickinson, and Mistress Mabel, who was Austin's mmmmm....friend.....and also the editor who published Emily's poetry posthumously. I keep them together as well, my literary circle. Shown 8/12/13

Jade Stone

Hot Green Chilies

Avocado, Aphrodite, Cathedral Windows in July 2013

Mariachi

Dan Patch

Great River Sonata (which may or may not be Sagae)

Fragrant Gold

So Sweet (with Hudson Bay)

Cerveza, Mojito, Holly's Dazzler 8/12/13

Amberglass

• User
    10 years ago

I forgot to mention the book I recently found used on Amazon. It is more than a list of plants with fragrance. SO much more. Here is a cover shot of it.

Fragrant Garden: Flowers and fragrance from dusk til dawn

It mentions hosta only two times, imagine that. :)

Note: My garden these days has a fragrance I catch (when it is not actively raining) as soon as I pass near my Teahouse. Once I get in the garden space, it is so prevalent that my nose quickly loses its ability to locate where this aroma is coming from. I just feel it in the air! With rain washing away most of the scent from the wet flowers, I'm sure it has to be a pendulant bloom holding on to its scent.

I also watch the big bombers, the bumblebees, learning to land on the wide downcast flowers, and some haven't learned the technique and land on TOP of the petals. Others come in for a landing on the curving pistils and stamens extended like a ramp for the pollinators beneath the flowering umbrellas. Those walk up the ramp and bury their whole body in the flower's base. Old Faithful seemed to be a favorite, but I got only two seed pods from it.

Old Faithful with fat bee

• leaflover76
    10 years ago

Paul: Better pictures of my Fragrant Bouquet:

May (this year)

June

July

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Moc, I picked up Quesadilla last year as a liner thru a plant coop. Tried to link the coop, but GW blocked it. I've slowed on ordering with coop since space to grow out is limited. Try searching "BnPCo-opBuying" if interested. Small liners can take a couple of years to get to gallon size - I lost a few streaked ones over the winter last year.

Paul

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Fried Bananas

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Leaflover - I'm thinking So Sweet or Summer Fragrance.....looking at others pics above and HL pics.

Paul

• leaflover76
    10 years ago

Paul: Definately not So Sweet. Take a look at the leaves:

So Sweet

Fragrant Bouquet

My So Sweet is almost done blooming. My Fragrant bouquet is just starting. The So Sweet leaves are smaller than my Fragrant Bouquet.

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

So Sweet is showing off. At least I think this is So Sweet, I also have Fragrant Summer and Fragrant Bouquet and to tell the truth, I have a hard time telling the differences between them. They are not next to each other, so I can't easily compare. But the label on this one says So Sweet, anyway.

Sandy

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

Fragrant Summer, I think.

Sandy

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

Part of the Honeybells border just starting to bloom.

Sandy

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    10 years ago

leaflover and paul in mn,

I think the questionable Fragrant Bouquet is Fragrant Dream. Check HL.

Steve

• mbug_gw
    10 years ago

A few more

Diana Remembered

Fragrant Bouquet

Aphrodite

Fragrant Queen with Liberty in early spring

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Fragrant Bananas'.

EDIT: LOL Obviously 'Fried Bananas'. Fragrant bananas are overripe. ; P

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 13:12

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A wannabe 'Fragrant Bouquet' (sport from a 'Guacamole'). Hopefully some differences will become apparent as it matures.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Fragrant Bouquet'.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Babies: 'Fried Green Tomatoes' on the left, and 'The Shining' have already grown a good bit since this pic was taken on July 17th.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Fragrant Fire'.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Austin Dickinson'.

Don B.

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Fragrant Star not on here yet. Mine was recently divided, picture in August 13.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Fragrant Star' is pretty nice-looking. A 'June' x 'Invincible' hybrid, if I remember correctly? Very cool.

Don B.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

My favorite hosta, So Sweet 1

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Don, thats right. After being purchased as a small start, it spent three years under a maple tree. Since it grew so slowly there I moved it under an oak. The year after I moved it I divided it into three plants. The poor 5 year old looks like I just bought it. If nothing else, its tough.

Beverly

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just a fragrant-related observation: My 'Fragrant Blue', which is a fourth-year plant, is currently in bloom. I detect no fragrance whatsoever. Perhaps when It's fully mature; Perhaps not. Oh well, it's still one of my favorite blues. Pic was taken July 15th.

Don B.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!