Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Holy Scapes, Batman!

Posted by hostahillbilly Zone 4 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 30, 12 at 0:27

There are at least a few Hostas that are known for tall scapes, that is, flower scapes that are, shall we say, inordinately taller than their leaf clump.

Some folk don't mind this, many don't like it at all.

Do we want to start a 'Don' List regarding this?

I went wandering and fotoing such a list, but so many pics didn't properly show said condition. My poor cam and experience were most of the problem.

None-the-less, is this an idea to start a discussion of?

Holy BAT-MAN SCAPES:

tallboy scapes2012-08-17_14-02-38_933

JUST FOR FUN,

HH

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Holy Scapes, Batman!

Maybe I mis-understood HH but I'm sure I'd downloaded one of Don's lists titled "Hostas with Tall Scapes". I was checking them while running down one of Bobbi's NOIDs which turned out to be Krossa Regal (which was on the list). So was Eliator,Regal Splendor and Tall Boy. My Honeybells has very long scapes (45") also as does my Blaze of Glory, for it's size. Stiletto has tall scapes for a low grower at 25"

Blaze of Glory, Summer 2011
Blaze of Glory

Maybe we should set categories, for example dwarfs/minis with scapes over 30" and large with scapes over 60". What impresses you HH as "Holy Scapes, Batman" HH?

Les

o

I don't know that anything can top the scapes of Elatior. Mine was well over six feet,taller than me,and I am 6 ft.1 tall. I didn't take a pic this year,but it has to be one of the tallest. Phil

o

Indeed Les, Don does have a 'Tall Scape Hosta List', and yes Phil, 'Eliator' is hi-lited on that list as having 72"+ scapes!

Pieter

Here is a link that might be useful: Tall Scape Hosta List

o

Hosta Hillbilly,

Can you post a pic of that one with the very tall, bright red scapes??? I don't remember the name, but it was on the north side of the driveway...

(Start a new post)

o

H. 'Tall Boy':
tallboy scapes2012-08-17_14-02-38_933
gg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here