Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the best fertilizer for Hostas

Posted by hosta-fan 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 11, 09 at 2:05

I have just become a Hosta addict and I want to do the best I can to help my Hosta's grow fast and healthy. Can anyone tell me what I need to do? What are the best fertilizers (organic) for these plants. I am using horse manure at this point of time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the best fertilizer for Hostas

Water.

Seriously, all else is secondary to a good dose of h2o. Past that, anything organic is my choice. Manure (all kinds), compost, mulch.

Except for the foofoo hostas, it's gonna grow if you give it some dirt and a LOT of water.

Did I mention that hostas like water?

Sun too, btw. If you want fast growth, stick them in the sun. They will look icky (especially if they don't get enough water), but after a couple of years you can move them to more shade & they will be huge & beautiful.

And be sure to water them too. :)

o

what kind of trees you gardening under ...

if they are any of the dreaded trees .... like maple.. you are better off NOT fertilizing.. or the tree will grow the roots.. into the plant.. to steal the fert ...

a broadcast compost would probably be best... as you would put it all over the bed.. and the trees will not be directly attracted to your babes ...

welcome to the addiction .... and to GW ....

ken

o

Thank you for the answer, I will water them constantly from now on. My hostas are next to a fence and a tree (I don't know what type - white flowers in April). I did dig up the beds, got rid of most of the tree roots, loosen up the soil and added the manure. My hostas are now growing quite well and are flowering too.

o

Milorganite is great for them, and the smell deters deer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here