Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mstrecke_gw

I could not help myself - Naylor Creek Hosta Library Auction Sale

mstrecke
9 years ago

Have racked up the following plants. Would appreciate any pictures you have as many are new introductions.

Lemon Love Note
Twirlatini
Her Eyes Were Blue
Behemoth
Christmas Pageant
Church Mouse
Waukon Golden Pond
Afterglow
Fruit Cup
Ah ha ha bah
Hadspen Blue
Lily blue eyes

Hopefully I can restrain myself from buying any more :(

Margaret

Comments (27)

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

You ordered so many great ones. Had to stop looking at those auctions. Every time I peeked something would get bid on. Only have the lily blue eyes and hadspen blue. Can't wait to see pics!

Just snapped this pic of Lily blue eyes. Didn't realize how big impatiens would get from a tiny little piece, so they have crowded her a bit. Mistake that will not happen next year. You will love the coloring, such a pretty aqua and holding strong into September.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

Hopefully I can restrain myself from buying any more :(

==>>> your only limitations are your checkbook and your sanity ...

ken

• User
    9 years ago

Wow, there are so many nice new ones.

I have only Afterglow from your list. I got it in 2012 at FirstLook12 auction.

Taken July20, 2014

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

I got Christmas Pageant from Naylor Creek during last year's Labor Day special on the HL auction. Love their plants. I ordered over 20 from them last year. So far only 5 this year, but still looking!

• User
    9 years ago

I'm on my second batch of library auctions here. I swore I was done but they did free shipping (!!!!) and listed many from my 2015 wish list. So I can get started early and add more to my wish list for next year, naturally.

• Eleven
    9 years ago

That Lemon Note Love almost got me! And I'd said I wasn't doing the auction this year. I gave up when Harry Van de Laar got listed again. So now I have Harry, Stir It up, Sherborne Swallow, and Happy Dayz coming next week.

• mstrecke
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the pictures Bungalo, Hosta and Mocc!

Love the pie crust on Lily. Afterglow looks great that late in the season! Christmas Pageant - WOW So pretty! I hope mine will look that good in one year !

Eleven,
    I got Happy Dayz during their 4th of July sale and am very happy with it. It was one of the ones I bought to have enough plants to bump me to the next discounts level. It ended up being one of my favorite from the batch.

Ken,

I think I may be hopeless. Hosta make me insane and I am already running out of space in my yard.

Thankfully people are out bidding me so I may get off easy.

Margaret

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

Hosta make me insane and I am already running out of space in my yard.

==>>> say goodbye undulatas... lancifolia.. duplicates of anything else.. grass ... lol .. plain old green carp.. named or not ... lol

ken

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

I noticed I am able to find space to plant more hostas where I thought there was no more space. Naylor does effective marketing, dangling the goodies in front of addicts.
    Bernd

• mstrecke
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Unfortunately the hosta are also competing with collections of species Rhododendrons, Japanese Maples, Epimediums, Podophyllum, Cyprideums, Trilliums, Arisema, Primulas and a crap ton of other minor collections.... My neighbor is not doing much with his yard.. He asked if I would help him with his.. Maybe I will use his yard as a surrogate garden...

Margaret

• drc215
    9 years ago

um, newbie here, would someone please provide a link to these fabulous, addictive auctions?

thanks!

• User
    9 years ago

Hi DRC, here you go.....
    Link below is to the Hosta Library main page.
    Look midway down, there is a moving arrow pointing to the line HOSTA LIBRARY AUCTION....

click that link.

Below all types of items shown at auction, there are a few lines in smaller print. CHOOSE "NEW REGISTRATION" which will take you to the spot where new bidders can register to bid. Read the rules and come out bidding!

AFTER you place a bid, the Hosta Library will let you know if you WIN. You and the seller will get together on how you gonna pay. Most accept Paypal.

Have fun. Don't spend the lunch money!

Here is a link that might be useful: HostaLibrary.org

• drc215
    9 years ago

Thanks Mocc!!

• User
    9 years ago

Okay, auction sale for Naylor ends today and I escaped with just

Dancing Queen
    Cool as a Cucumber
    Ivory Queen
    Fleet Week
    Striptease (to replace the one I had to trash this summer. I'm still sad about that! It was well established and mature.)
    That's about all I can handle physically too. My tennis/gardening elbow is worsening so I'll just have to get these new ones in the ground in temporary spots and then move them in the spring when hopefully I can bend my elbow and grip things with my hand again.

• mstrecke
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thistle,

HA at your gardening elbow comment!

l have been complaining to co workers about the exact same thing!
    Looks like you got a good haul! wish I had picked up cucumber as my cascades is lacking vigoryou will have to post pics later and comment on its vigor.

margaret

• User
    9 years ago

I have to laugh at this elbow too. I know I did it a few weeks ago when I wrestled a large mature June out of the ground to take some divisions off it...on top of a busy summer making new beds and planting and transplanting like crazy. A price to pay but I'm happy with the results and that at least it waited until the season is winding down to maim me. :)

• Lee
    9 years ago

I should be getting my box tomorrow according to the tracking#.
    I got some streaky ones :)
    Dorset Clown, Powder Keg, Aah-ha-ha Bah and Itty Rainbow.

• mstrecke
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Melati,

Ahhh the streaky ones. Powder Keg and itty Rainbow were calling to me! But I resisted after realizing I have 20 hosta that still need to be planted!.

You will have to post pics when you get them to help re-enforce my adding them to my list for next year.

Margaret

• Eleven
    9 years ago

I got my box yesterday! Stir It Up, Sherborne Swallow, Harry Van de Laar (who's as adorable as he looked online!), and Happy Dayz. I was potting them up in the dark, but here's a quick pic I took before that.

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

I got

Blue Tooth
    Titanium
    Yankee Blue
    Pandora's Box
    Coast to Coast

and Ginsu Knife and Irish Luck to replace ones I lost last winter.

Mine won't arrive till next week. Trying to figure out their homes so I'm all ready to plant when they arrive.

• User
    9 years ago

I forgot to list one on my auction grabs!
    QUEEN OF THE SEAS. I had this on my wish list for 2015. So I couldn't resist getting an early start on it with free shipping to boot.
    So that will arrive hopefully next week along with
    Dancing Queen
    Cool as a Cucumber
    Ivory Queen
    Fleet Week
    Striptease
    I haven't even received a shipping notification yet. The Naylor boys are busy busy busy with all those auction shipments now.

• mstrecke
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have not received my tracking number either. They did mention in my paypal invoice that they had a ton of hostas to ship.

I am actually appreciating the delay as it is letting me get the mess of Rhodys I picked up from Chimacum Woods last weekend in the ground and figure out where to put the new Hosata :)

Margaret

• Lee
    9 years ago

My package came yesterday and here is the picture Margaret.. 2 separates eyes on Powder Keg and Aahhahabah.. so I'm going to plant them separately.

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

Beautiful hostas Melati! Seeing your pics is making me regret not grabbing some streaked ones.

• User
    9 years ago

Melati, I used to plant my separate eyes of the same hosta in separate pots, but then I got too many pots so I wound up combining them.

That works only so far. Like, two were supposed to be alike, but it happened that the 2nd eye of Brother Stefan wasn't variegated, it was a solid green leaf and I did not mix up anything. So I thought I had a sport, it turned out to be I suppose a Tissue Culture Failure TCF. It is healthy, it is out of the same TC batch as my Bro Stefan (who I will no longer show as "BS" for reasons known to Jonny...hehehe). I don't actually know what to call that solid green. I might give it away to my two garden neighbors.

I combined my pots of Gold Drop, which is a small, and boy are those growing a lot, and one half the pot bloomed early and the other half late....you'd think it was reblooming, but it is a different part of the pot which blooms separately.

Hosta can be so interesting. I have one Powder Keg, and it is holding its streaks boldly so I know you will enjoy growing it.

• mstrecke
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How lovely! Powder Keg is a looker!

I will have to pick that one up next spring. I like the blue streakers the best!

I now have all of my Rhodys planted and spots picked out for most of the 15 plants I have coming. I will post pics when the arrive!

Margaret

• Lee
    9 years ago

Thanks... Mocc.. I don't hv hosta in pots.. All will be plant in their permanent spot hopefully in a cpl days :) and if not planted by the end of the season I usually sink the pots to the ground level.
    Margaret.. Between the two Dorset Clown is bluer if you like blue streaker.
    Bunga.. Maybe next auction when we're not bidding against each other lol!!!

This post was edited by melati on Sat, Sep 6, 14 at 22:05