Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
becky_ia

Potomac Pride Picture?

becky_ia
10 years ago

Does anyone have a picture of the hosta...Potomac Pride? I recently saw it in a garden, and am trying to find a place that sells it (I see it is listed at the Flying Frog Farm.) Was wondering if it is a fast grower.

Comments (15)

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    10 years ago

Here's a photo of PP taken 0n June 7, a few days after receiving it bare rooted via mail.

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    10 years ago

And here's the same PP - photo taken yesterday.

• becky_ia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ohh, I love the looks of this hosta. Know how it just "Speaks to you?" I have to find this,,,,

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Well, now you have me interested. Hallson's has it, only $10. People here love Hallson's and things are selling out. I recommend you check it out.

-Beverly

Here is a link that might be useful: check it out

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Here's one from a tour garden.

Paul

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    10 years ago

You may also be interested in Potomac Glory. PG was new last fall and the photo taken yesterday.

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

It's raining again so I can't go take a picture, but I got Potomac Pride last year from Land of the Giants. It's growing like a weed, and the bugs and critters haven't bothered it..

Sandy

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

Not raining this morning! Here is Potomac Pride, planted last fall, from LOTG. It's loving all this rain!

Sandy

• Wendys_garden
    10 years ago

Hi Becky,
    It appears to be a fast grower. I got mine (locally) in Sept. 2011.
    Here is the growth progression so far, (I apologize for the 2012 photo, it was taken at end of season in October so looks kind of ratty, but will suffice to show size).

Sept.2011:

October 2012:

July 2013 (it's actually much darker than this, but I think my flash went off when I took this shot):

I love it, it's so dark and shiny... highly recommend!
    Wendy

• User
    10 years ago

Another source for PP would be Plant Delight Nursery which is the nursery belonging to Tony Avent in NC. He registered PP in 1995. They are usually pretty high priced however.

I like the dark green hosta. This one seems to have the dark color and the fast growth, with a great shaped plant.

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

hold on, gotta go get the camera. It's one of my fave's...

I'll be back. It's been a great grower for me. I stuck it in the spot I formerly reserved for FrWms but it [FW] burned. I have large rocks on three [S-W-N] sides so that the rain runoff (my theory but never proven) collects and keeps it watered, also the rocks protect it from aft sun

back in a bit

ÃÂ _ÃÂ --~

dave

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

It is pretty, might have to get one. I love visiting Flying Frog, always see something I "need", and the grounds are beautiful. Just a word of warning, call first. Marsha doesn't have everything on her plant list.

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

Here's potomac pride [full frontal]

It rivals my S&S, except for leaf size

ÃÂ_ÃÂ --~

dave

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

And here's a bit closer up of the leaves.

Plant is 5-6 years old, and one of the darker greens. I think I will also like h. Night life. I lost it with drought of last year, got some TC this year and it's already booming.

• User
    10 years ago

Here is my Nightlife taken in July. Not a big guy, but it sure is dark.