Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID please

Posted by bishop5 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 5:26

Thank you for your help in identifying all the Hosta's in our yard. We purchased our home a year ago and found the gardens with many different types of hosta.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID please

This hosta is planted around our oak trees

o

This hosta is just getting ready to bloom

o

This is a blue one. It has not bloomed yet this year

o

• Posted by Eleven Michigan 6A (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 8:13

1 & 2: Undulata Univitatta
3: probably June
4: no idea

o

If number 4 is really small , it's probably Blue Mouse Ears.

bk

o

#4 Doesn't look anything like Blue Mouse Ears to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Mouse Ears

o

Thank you for your help. Number 4 is not mouse ears .... The biggest leaf is approx 3 1/2" wide

o

I agree with Eleven.

o

Middle one is Gold Standard

Bruce

o

For the last PIC, were the leaves bluer in the earlier months? If so could the last one be Hadspen blue?

o

• Posted by Eleven Metro Detroit 6A (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 7:50

I think with the spade shaped leaves, that #4 could be Blue Cadet. Is it a division of an older plant? Check out the last pic in the Hosta Library. That's how mine has looked as it ages.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Cadet

o

For the last PIC, were the leaves bluer in the earlier months? If so could the last one be Hadspen blue?

o

When Barb suggested Hadspen Blue I looked at mine. I think HB resembles the shape your leaves more than Blue Cadet...your leaves are wider than those of BC. Take a look for comparison...

Jo

o

Here is a later pic from last year when it was a bit greener. Currently it has not flowered yet. It's raining so I can't see if scapes are present yet. Also, besides a broader leaf, HB has that distinct little leaf tip/point that yours also has.

o

I'm sure it's Hadspen Blue after looking at your pictures. Thank you so much. As he matures I'm hoping he will look as handsome as yours :)

o

Och, he's already got a great start and will look even more handsome than mine!! Live long and prosper, Hadspen Blue! :-)

P.S. Thanks for the clue, Barb! Forum = Teamwork

Jo

o

Thanks Jo, I went out at looked at my blue hostas and it was the shape of the leaves and the small size made me think of Hadspen Blue. But it is hard to identify anything you aren't growing yourself - at least for me - and my collection is so small that I even hesitate to guess. But others on the forum has been so helpful to me in identifying or confirming IDs for me that I figure it doesn't hurt to throw out a guess and try and help. Hope we got this one right.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here