Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HVX Revisited

Posted by Dougald 4 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 20, 12 at 7:29

I had a number of hostas which had the telltale HVX symptoms ... a total of 9 in all in 4 distinct groups. There were two groups of 3 where in each group a plant had been split ... these were Gold Standard. There were two Stained Glass ... and then a single Guacamole. All appeared to have the streaking along the veins and the mottled leaves.

Since this was my first experience with HVX, I ordered the test strips to be certain. The tests showed that all the Gold Standard and the Guacamole were HVX positive as suspected. But surprisingly both Stained Glass came out negative.

My conclusion was that while observation is of course the essential first step in detecting HVX, there is no substitution for testing to avoid being fooled.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HVX Revisited

Doug,

Do you have any pictures? If so, they may help demonstrate your point and also help us understand how difficult it is to distinguish HVX.

Jon

o

Here's a Hosta that I tested for HVX which came out negative.
Elm Bank S&S virus

It obviously has a virus, but not HVX. Perhaps it has Impatiens Necrotic Spotted Virus or maybe Tomato Ringspot. I dug it up and threw it in the trash along with a good amount of soil. I'm going to try planting in this hole next Spring.

BTW, this is not in my garden, but in one that I take care of.

Steve

o

It is extremely difficult to determine HVX without testing. HVX can be controlled with good sanitation and isolation and killing of the host hosta tissue.

Other viruses, in my opinion, are far more dangerous as they can be transmitted by nematodes, thrips and maybe other insects while HVX cannot according to all the experimentation done to date. Given a choice, I would far prefer HVX to some of the more easily transmitted viruses which, no matter how sanitary your procedures are can spread easily. All these viruses are, without exemption, deadly.

I am not trying to minimize the problem of HVX. It is a serious problem that we should be very much aware of. I am only trying to put it in the proper prospective.

Jon

o

Here are some pictures. First a hosta that seemed to me clearly to have HVX and it did test positive

Photobucket

Next a less obvious hosta which tested positive.

Photobucket

And lastly, a plant which tested negative but which to my eye appeared to have the symptoms.

Photobucket

o

• Posted by babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 20, 12 at 15:13

I don't see any funny stuff in your last photo. What made you suspicious?

-Babka

o

The leaf veins with streaking ... similar to the second last one

o

babka ... maybe I'm just paranoid now :)

o

The first two of Gold Standard are positive for HVX;the last one looks like a normal Gold Standard in a lot of sun,to me.( I have a lot of Gold Standards),15 to be exact. Phil

o

That's just it Phil ... 2 hours late afternoon sun is all it gets ... and here in the north we dont get any weather above 90F ...

However, I probably can now see HVX in any hosta after all this!

o

I see at least one suspicious spot in the last picture too. It may be possible that part of the plant is infected but it hasn't spread through the whole clump yet, or the concentration of virus could still be too low to get a positive test. Consider the last one as a potential infected plant too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here