Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zkathy

Atlantis vs Victory

zkathy z7a NC
9 years ago

I've decided to put either Atlantis or Victory in a prominent spot at the top of my garden. I've looked at the compare hosta page, lots of old posts on this forum and at this point it may just be whichever one I can find for sale this fall. They are both impressive plants. Any comments about comparing their growth habits would be welcome.

Kathy

http://www.pwk.resteddoginn.ca/compare_hl.htm

Comments (23)

• mikgag Z5b NS Canada
    9 years ago

Atlantis is faster.
    Victory is bigger.

Other than that, personal preference....

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I don't remember seeing Atlantis, but the Dallas Arboretum has Victory. It's done very well in the heat here. In 2011, we had some extended REALLY hot, dry weather. Victory still looked good in August when most other hosta were melted. (It's covered with spent crape myrtle flowers. We also had two hail storms that spring.)

I have it and it's been really slow, though.

(Yes, I know it's misspelled, but I can't fix it. )

bk

• User
    9 years ago

I have a new Victory I just planted this summer. And while it's still "small" (meaning only 6 leaves) it's already very TALL in a vase-like formation and has held up well to winds and dry conditions, but it's been a cool summer here. I did plant it in a spot that gets more afternoon sun than I anticipated, but there's zero burn on any of the leaves for that. It's obvious it's going to be a very large and hardy hosta.

I posted a picture not long ago how the leaves are already 10 inches long with a nice wave to them. I think it's just going to come down to a personal preference thing on this one.

• hostanista
    9 years ago

Get both. End of dilemma.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Here you go, Bkay. I know that drives you nuts.

9 years ago

I hope someone pipes in on this one. Mine isn't big enough yet to do justice to post, but I would choose Atlantis any day and all day. I think this really is going to come down to personal preference with what look you like. Both are great hostas and won't disappoint you. I personally have never cared for medium green with white margins, I like yellow tones much more as a margin and wider margins, so Atlantis is a no brainer for me. I've seen lots of impressive pics of Victory, but it just doesn't hold a candle to Atlantis, in my opinion. I like the flow of Atlantis' leaf shape better, as well. Not to mention it being one of the best sci-fi shows ever!!!! ;)

• TheHostaCottage
    9 years ago

I agree with funnthsun!

Atlantis is a show stopper and would be my choice.

I think Victory tends to blend in more. I don't see anything really special about it except its size.

Vanessa

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Thanks, Funn, I saved it. (misspellings drive me crazy once I see them)

bk

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Kathy,

As mentioned above Victory is a very large Hosta, while Atlantis is large. One thing that is significantly different, however, is the size of the scapes. Victory will flower later in the season than Atlantis, and it has very tall scapes. I mean 7 feet tall and larger. Sometimes these scapes will flop over.

So if you don't mind removing scapes or flopping 7 foot scapes you may want Victory. Both plants are attention getters. Atlantis for its colors and unique twisted leaf shape. Victory for its sheer size and enormous variegated leaves.

Steve

• User
    9 years ago

I do not have Atlantis, but plan to remedy that next year. It is said to be a good grower for the south.

I have Victory and got it from Bob Solberg in 2011, so it is one of my older hosta. I made a remark about the "ratio" of plant to scape on Victory and totally agree with SteveMass' remark about it really sending up tall bamboo like scapes. All of 7 feet tall from the crown I'm sure, and my plant was on a pedestal until last week, so I needed a ladder to measure its height.

I would not simply cut off the scapes if you want a fertile plant creating some big beautiful seedlings, because Victory sets multiple very fat seedpods. I'd place it where the unorthodox gigantic scapes would not conflict or distract from the garden setting. I turned its pot, while on a pedestal, so the flowers in bloom danced above the shorter fragrant hosta flowers beneath, hoping for some cross pollination there. I don't know if fragrance is transfered to seedlings only by the POD parent, or if the pollen parent transfers too, but I'm saving a lot of seeds from Victory.

What kind of picture should I attach here to show what I mean? I use bamboo to stake the scapes, and hair clips to hold them in a ponytail out of my way. My aisles through the garden are too narrow to let it bounce freely, chancing damage to itself and other hosta.

Something the size of Victory with a medium green leaf and a wide yellow margin that is fragrant--wouldn't THAT be super! Or, my fav variegation, yellow leaf with a narrow green margin. In a fragrant flower, with lots of seedpods. I can dream, can't I? ;)

Here is Victory scapes only on Aug 9. Closeup, I cannot get both plant and scapes in the same picture. I is off its pedestal here, while I work the soil in this end of the garden.

Here it is on 9-18-13 not looking bad at all

• mac48025 ( SE michigan)
    9 years ago

I'm with hostanista on this one. I didn't realize "either or" was a choice with hosta's, get them all! :) I bought victory last year from made in the shade hosta's and it's growing quite fast for me.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

There's an article in the hosta journal about hosta that do well in the south. Atlantis is on the first page of the article. It apparently didn't register in my crowded brain, as I just read the article last week. Today, I picked up the magazine again and saw the photo.

bk

• zkathy z7a NC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Of course I should get both! But Atlantis is going on the top of the hill in the primo spot. I've got a lot of ground to still develop into garden and Victory will find a good home someplace. I'm even saving an area for red hostas when they get here.

Thanks for the input. I value your opinions.

Kathy

• timhensley
    9 years ago

Atlantis is spectacular. Much more so than Victory. It was still leafing out in this photo and grows in full sun.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Oh, Tim, not you, too!

That photo is sideways.

bk

• zkathy z7a NC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bk, there's an iPad calling your name.

Kathy

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Very nice Atlantis, Tim. Personally speaking, I also prefer it to Victory.

Don B.

• zkathy z7a NC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol! On the iPad Tim's beautiful picture of Atlantis shows as normal and Don's "corrected" picture shows sideways even when I tap on it and open it in another window.
    Gotta love technology. Now to find an Atlantis!

Kathy

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Good Lord!!

Don B.

• luckyladyslipper
    9 years ago

It's so much fun to lurk in this forum! I come to learn (and do) but always get a laugh along the way. Love it.

9 years ago

Quit lurking and join the crazies! Welcome, luckylady, love the username.

• timhensley
    9 years ago

So funny! Don's correction spears sideways on my iPad.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

You may be right, Kathy. I got an email from my sister asking if I got her email from her Ipad. I didn't.

bk