10 years ago

I'm interested in hearing from anyone that may have
some details about the Collection of the late Henry Landis
of Toronto, Canada.
Sincerely appreciated..

Comments (22)

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

I'm interested, as well. Wish Mr. Schmid hung out here, he'd likely have answers, along with Mr. Pollock...

• sgyn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Perhaps, we should discuss this, I'm developing a historical
    database of his collection in memoriam and working on TN and BN historical records development also. Acquired the BN and ancillary collections this year.

This post was edited by sgyn on Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 15:05

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i wish i had a clue what all those abbreviations mean.. beyond OS and F1 ....

google brought up this comment... from the link below:

âÂÂThe history of this plant may interest you. During the early and mid-nineties, Pete Ruh [the highly knowledgeable hosta icon and collector in Chesterland, Ohio] and I made several trips to Canada looking for the plants that had been distributed from the "break-up" of the hosta collection owned by Henry Landis of Toronto after his death. This included some things that were quite rare. We found some of these plants in a greenhouse behind a small nursery north of Hamilton, Ontario.

âÂÂAfter two trips there the owner finally agreed to let us purchase a few of the plants. They had been marked with plastic tags that were in poor condition. I spotted a streaked one that I could make out âÂÂFlamboyantâ on it. As this hosta was very hard to get, I included it in the purchases. When I got the plant home and pulled the tag, it said âÂÂFlamboyant X seedlingâ and was assigned a number. It turned out to be a numbered Lachman âÂÂbreeder.â I called Eleanor and asked about it, but she no longer had the plant. A cross with this plant and H. âÂÂHadspen Blueâ resulted in my âÂÂbreederâ H. âÂÂCrazy QuiltâÂÂ. A cross with H. âÂÂCrazy Quiltâ and H. âÂÂBlue Moonâ resulted in the Lachman Award winner.

ken

• sgyn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Ken, thank you this is interesting information.
    On closer review today it seems I have some developmental stock of Designer Genes, a few longipes and giboshis and some Lakeside breeders, this is all based on labels found so far. The database is looking good as a first draft...

This post was edited by sgyn on Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 15:09

• sgyn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Database is progressing into Romaji - Latin - English translations. Mr.Schmid's information on sub-genus is
    proving invaluable...

• User
    10 years ago

I found this information written on MYHOSTAS.BE under H. 'Crazy Quilt'

Streaked breeder:*****
    This is a plant, everybody wants when they come to the garden. A cross between a numbered Lachman hybrid and 'Hadspen Blue', it is a wonderful plant for breeding smaller hostas that have slug resistance, great blooms and blue tones in cupped leaves.
    The "Lachman #" was a streaked hybrid of 'Flamboyant' and came from the collection of the late Henry Lantis of Toronto, Canada......
    ,,end quote

Note that the name of Henry Landis is spelled differently than this one, could have kept it from coming up in a search. No idea where this quoted information came from.

• sgyn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Moccasinlanding,
    Thank you for taking time to research...
    This data obscurae has been added, the database list
    has no mention of hybridization activity by Dr. Landis
    but then it may only be a smaller list that would be
    representative of what so far is revealing itself to
    be born of small beautiful golden and miniature giboshis.
    So long ago...I will begin the process of photos of this
    preservation project and label retention tomorrow...

• sgyn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Are Mishima Fukurin Koba and Fukurin Koba the same?
    Perhaps renamed.
    I can find no record of the original Hosta Fukurin Koba
    classed originally as species then to hybrid, have not yet
    confirmed if H.Sieboldii but is described as an Albomarginata.
    Any thoughts?

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

On myhostas.be the following is recorded for H. Kifukurin Ko Mame:

"A rare variegated form of 'Yakushima Mizu'. The narrow, upright, wavy, green leaves are edged in yellow. An irresistible plant! Lavender flowers."

Yakushima Mizu is described as a form of H. gracillima. In his species update George Schmid describes H. gracillima as a variety of H. longipes.

Schmid goes on to say: "A variegated form closely resembling the species is in North America under the name Shirofukurin Ko Mame GibÃÂshi, H.âÂÂShirofukurin Ko MameâÂÂ, which see, and this form may be identical to H. gracillima âÂÂShirofukurinâÂÂ. This taxon as well as its cultivar forms are excellent in the rock or miniature garden and is used in Japan for pot culture."

If you haven't yet, you might want to read the species entry for H. gracillima. Link below.

Just out of curiosity, what was the time period during which the Henry Landis garden was a viable collection?

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Species Update - H. gracillima

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

sgyn,

Mssrs. Schmid and Pollock are where I would go with such questions. As of a year ago, Mr. Schmid still answered his telephone, cheerfully. Both gentlemen are also found on the Yahoo group Mini Hostas.

Perhaps someone here knows of a direct contact method for Mr. Zilis, another authority of note?

fwiw, hh

• sgyn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Steve,
    Your information and time spent is much appreciated.
    I will reexamine the database but in romaji ki fukurin is different
    than fukurin. I read a detailed and in my view awesome document
    from Mr.Schmid this morning on H.Sieboldii and their naming
    earlier on during species findings in Japan and it mentioned the
    H.Sieboldii with a photo, I think Dr. Landis' at one point had this type.

Thanks also for the H.Gracillima link will review.
    I'm confident there are some lovely small dark green longipes
    that have open pollinated and are with seed, they are either
    likely from Dr.Landis or Toyozo as this seems to be part of
    how Mr. Nash's collection was created.

As a guess I think he collected between 1985 to 1988
    this is a time when species giboshis and others were
    new to Canada, that is my humble understanding.

This post was edited by sgyn on Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 15:12

• sgyn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My vision is to see that those that share this sensitivity can benefit from any open dialog on this topic as this database is developed. Hence my pursuit
    of preserving all the fragmentary details of these collections which are interlinked.
    I know for fact all of Mr. Nash's records are lost, with exception to
    perhaps his companions in this field that may have retained details
    on their end and are invited to offer input.

Thanks as always for your input. sgyn

This post was edited by sgyn on Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 22:12

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

sgyn - I'm so glad you see the value of this work and are doing it.

We have plants growing here that are grown from seeds that Mr. Nash sent us, circa 1997, from 'Let's Streak'. My wife will look in her notebooks to see if there's any further information we can send you.

Years ago I labeled one of them 'Nash Subtle Green' as a tribute. Somewhere in this garden is an F2 streaker from those seeds.

I called Mr. Schmid, who is listed as the AHS Historian, to let him know about some of the historically interesting things being written by Mr. Banyai on this forum. He didn't seem put off at all.

A series of interviews with him would make interesting reading in the journal !

Regards,
    the Hosta hillbilly

• sgyn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am humbled by your remarks.
    Much like veterans of war, interviews I think
    of historians and collectors in horticulture would
    benefit in perpetuity...I am taking a sequential
    approach towards the project for efficiency
    but this journal will be tangental and interesting.

Thank you for extending such kindness, I will review
    when I have a moment Mr. Banyai's details.

It is for the endeavours of fine people that such things
    can be preserved. This project will yield some interesting
    results I think.

This post was edited by sgyn on Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 15:15

• sgyn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

To update: on more detailed review...Fukurin Koba and Mishima Fukurin Koba are listed as separate plants in this database.
    Speculating FK is this:
    http://www.hostaparadise.com/hosta-sieboldii/824/hosta-details.aspx

This aligns with Mr.Schmid's research on H.Sieboldii origins
    in Japan and is period relational.

Fukurin Koba still remains a mystery, but am puzzled that a Mishima Fukurin Koba specimen was in Canada in 1988, but only registered in 2009 in the US?

This post was edited by sgyn on Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 22:45

• sgyn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Excellent, Thank you kindly.

This post was edited by sgyn on Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 22:14

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

sgyn, call 2318785432 leave message as i am usually hand- occupied with my varied projects to the point of difficulty answering a phone

I'm as interested in history preservation as u & Mr. Pollock, though not even close to being as useful.

g'night

hh

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

sgyn, call 2318785432 leave message as i am usually hand- occupied with my varied projects to the point of difficulty answering a phone

I'm as interested in history preservation as u & Mr. Pollock, though not even close to being as useful.

g'night

hh

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

I hv hardcopy of Genus Hosta, but we we would have to spend, at least, a summer or two poring over it to come to even 50% appreciation and understanding of it, methinks...

hh

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

I hv hardcopy of Genus Hosta, but we we would have to spend, at least, a summer or two poring over it to come to even 50% appreciation and understanding of it, methinks...

hh

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

hh

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

hh