Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hosta Pruning?

Posted by blakeas 8 GA (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 08 at 8:15

The flowering stem on all my hostas is still there. The flowers are done but I was wondering do I clip it? or do I leave it there to fall off on their own? I am in atlanta, ga

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hosta Pruning?

Cut them all down if you want a neater look, otherwise leave them. It all depends on how many you have to do!
If you aren't interested in the seeds that's the thing to do.

Connie

o

If it has seed pods, and you want to harvest seeds to grow seedlings, leave one scape with pods on it and trim the others off. If you don't want seeds, cut them off. They are not very pretty, and cutting them should send a chemical message to the plant to keep growing. (Well some hostas don't get the message, but cut them anyway for a neater landscape.)

Those are my two cents worth.

Lainey

o

Off with their heads!

o

"They are not very pretty, and cutting them should send a chemical message to the plant to keep growing. (Well some hostas don't get the message, but cut them anyway for a neater landscape.)"
hey_j

I don't have the research to say this but I believe once the signal to bloom is sent cutting bloom stalks doesn't change anything. The plant will continue the normal cyclical process.

Part of the process is which side of the solstice we are on and that varies by plant so saying a plant blooms pre-summer solstice or post-summer solstice doesn't matter.

For example; forcing plants out dormancy should only be done after the winter-solstice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here