Comments (13)

• newhostaaddict
    10 years ago

chris at Hallson's has it for sale and a very nice picture also

jill

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I saw it at New Hampshire Hostas with a great pic, too. Not sure how big of a size they usually ship, though. That's important to me.

It looks like a real beauty, hope someone has some experience with it.

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Funnthsun,where in NC are you? I am over in the mountains,outside of Franklin. Phil

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Hallson's ships 3rd year field grown plants. Pretty tough to find anyone shipping anything larger than that.

-Babka

Original Author
    10 years ago

Phil, I'm in Raleigh/Durham area. Have to be close to a major airport, as we ship a lot with our business. Looks like you are in a beautiful area of NC!

I'm about 40 minutes from Plant Delights...open house is coming up! Sept 6-8, I think!

• plantbug
    10 years ago

funnthsun,

Are you on Solberg's (Green Hill Farm) email list? He has great plans for NC in the next two years. Are you going to his sale on Labor Day?

plantbug

• Lee
    10 years ago

Just got it this year and i hope it's not a mis ID Broadband, hope somebody can identify it for me :)

• idiothe
    10 years ago

what is your question, melati? Looks great to me! BB starts out with a yellower margin, but the margin goes to cream... you've got wide margins (which may well be wider in an older plant) and the streakiness they describe... looks like a BB to me.

Interesting that Ron Livingston originated this in 2011, but it isn't registered and it seems like nobody is giving any heritage for it... so far it doesn't have enough difference from Earth Angel to make me add it - but I might be convinced if those wide margins make it to Earth Angel kind of like Liberty is to Sagae... both worth growing for the different look...

• Lee
    10 years ago

Thanks Jim, I was looking at the pics @Hosta Library but could not decide if mine looks like a BB, i think because its still a juvenile hosta.

Original Author
    10 years ago

plant bug,

I am now! Didn't even know about Green Hill, thanks so much for the tip! Looks like they have great hostas, lots to choose from and great ratings as well.

• Ludicious Acres
    10 years ago

I am super late to this thread, but I acquired Broad Band this year from Hallson. My decision to purchase was based solely off the display picture they use on the website. For some reason that one leaf just made me think WINNER !

So naturally, being the obsessive compulsive I began researching it. Jim is right, it is not registered and it seems that Ron is keeping Mom and Dad a secret ⦠shhhh !! I even emailed Chris to see if he knew anything about the genetics. He said he didnâÂÂt, but that Ron has a sort of numbering system for his various generations of crosses that he then crosses with other crosses and then crosses some more. So even if we knew the parents, it would be something like (R95 x B4954) x SOL521478

The margin is thinner in immature plants. It starts out a bright yellow and then slowly fades to a creamy, almost bleach white by the end of the season.

The thing that caught my eye this year was the more pronounced heart shaped leaves and the crisp edge of the lines between where the middle green meets the edge variegation.

In my opinion this one is going to be absolutely stunning at maturity, but it might take some time to get there. IâÂÂm not sure that it is a slow grower, but rather I think slower to mature into that wide band we see in the pics.

I will disagree with Jim though on it being similar to Earth Angel. The colors are more vibrant on BB and the leaf shape and thickness are different. EA has a much thicker and more oval rounded leaf, where BB has a thinner more heart shaped leaf. The margin on EA is softer and blends into the leaf more than BB, which is a very crisp variegation. BB also has a sheen to the leaves that EA doesnâÂÂt.

But donâÂÂt let me talk you into buying one . . . nudge nudge :)

Ludi

Broad Band - 05/30/2013

Broad Band - 07/27/2013

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

I just bought one 50% off at a local nursery. It seems very much like 'Wide Brim' having it side by side. I have a place for it, will see. Bernd

• donrawson
    10 years ago

In spite of the many wonderful hybrids he's created, Ron doesn't generally register his hostas with the American Hosta Society. In fact, the only introduction he personally has registered is 'Alakazaam' in 2008. However, Stuart Asch has registered two of Ron's other originations.